Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   4.2 Acc Drive Belt & Pulleys - Which to Buy? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/4-2-acc-drive-belt-pulleys-buy-218038/)

rothwell 05-20-2019 03:39 PM

4.2 Acc Drive Belt & Pulleys - Which to Buy?

I have noticed a squeal a couple times when I start the car cold. Its probably a belt or pulley and I am at 97K miles so I am going to just replace both pulleys and the belt. I have always carried a new belt 4060910 in the trunk so I only need to buy the pulleys. But I am confused about what to do. I read thru the relevant threads and have some questions that I hope I can get answered.

1. My 2004 4.2 has an idler pulley with lipped edges. Most of the replacements I can find (89016, 38028) do not have the lips. So which is better? I would go with the lipped version 49145 to match what I am removing unless a good case can be made to just use an 89016. The tensioner pulley is not lipped so it seems like the lips are not required.

2. I read a comment that the later model years have an "upgraded" tensioner that you can't replace just the pulley. I can't see any other evidence of this. It looks like the 89016 used on older engines would still work fine. Do I really need to replace the whole tensioner?

Any help to clarify is appreciated. Thanks.

Jon89 05-20-2019 03:58 PM

Since you already have the new serpentine belt, I would install it first (without replacing any tensioner pulleys). That may be all you need to do, especially if your current belt is the original one from the factory. I replaced what I presume to be the factory belt on my wife's 2006 XK8 last July at 115,385 miles while I was having the factory alternator refurbished. With the radiator fan assembly already removed to allow me to remove the alternator, I had easy access to the belt. It still looked good and was not making any noise, but I think going ahead and replacing it was the right thing to do at the time. I ordered a new Gates K060910 belt from rockauto.com for about $22. It was a perfect fit and I have had no problems with it....

rothwell 05-20-2019 07:46 PM

Well this is going to take another direction. I found that a small coolant leak is what is causing the squealing belt. I will start another thread about the leak.

I would still like to get answers to the original questions if possible. I may still replace those while I have the hood up. :D

michaelh 05-21-2019 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by rothwell (Post 2073524)
1. My 2004 4.2 has an idler pulley with lipped edges. Most of the replacements I can find (89016, 38028) do not have the lips. So which is better? I would go with the lipped version 49145 to match what I am removing unless a good case can be made to just use an 89016. The tensioner pulley is not lipped so it seems like the lips are not required.

Heritage shows two part numbers for the 4.2:

C2C22758 - which most pictures show as metal without flanges and;

C2C37064 - which has a flange back and front.

My original NLA plastic idler pulley had a flange on the front edge. I replaced with the metal 89016 and have no issues.

Originally Posted by rothwell (Post 2073524)
2. I read a comment that the later model years have an "upgraded" tensioner that you can't replace just the pulley. I can't see any other evidence of this. It looks like the 89016 used on older engines would still work fine. Do I really need to replace the whole tensioner?

This post from RaceDiagnostics shows the 4.2 tensioner pulley. It's bolted to the tensioner arm so I can't see why it couldn't be replaced. If it is 76mm diameter like the 4.0 then I imagine the 89016 will fit, or you could R&R just the bearings:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...6/#post1541864

The belt service interval is 100K:- the pulleys I replaced were grumbling at 30K. If they spin freely and smoothly then they're likely OK, but they're cheap PM.