XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99' XK8 radio - no CD

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 09:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Question 99' XK8 radio - no CD

I have not gotten the manuals for our 99' convertible but notice it has on the radio a button for "CD/Tape" but there is no CD player. Was that a standard button for both or for one or the other? Did some models have both CD and cassette?

Also, the gear shift has 2, 3, and 4 on the left side with two buttons at the rear, one looks like it has a 'dial' on it and the other an "S"? Curious as to what these are/do?

I hope the model documentation when I get it has lots of answers for questions I have but thought I would ask others here to help me 'learn' until then.

Thanks!

Old 06-12-2019, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,417 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Intro to your XK8

First your radio head unit should be linked to a multiple CD player in the trunk Right hand side. Pressing the tape/CD button cycles between the two.

Secondly the two switches on the J Gate module are
1. S - Sports mode which opens up the Revs and changes gears later, basically a more Sporty drive
2. The dial is the Cruise control on switch....

Good luck with your car.

The following users liked this post:
realjwc (06-13-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 11:17 PM

So many things for this 'old man' to learn! I wondered why the cruise control wouldn't work, now I am ready to go back out and give it a shot! I also have been in the trunk to replace the battery and unless it has been removed I sure did not see it. So the numbers on the left side of gear shift module are not for use with this model?

I have the requisite number of posts to be able to view the documents that are provided for members so maybe I can do a bit of research before asking so many fundamental questions.

The little car runs great and does not have any leaks at this time. Hood opens and closes fantastically and the fabric is in great shape. It just had been neglected and has several otherwise minor items that need addressing.

Left headlight assembly mounting brackets broken (other post)
Haven't gotten the fob to unlock the doors yet
Roof console mounting bracket is broken and the console won't stay in place (have it 'pinned' with straight pins right now)
Console cup holder is badly malfunctioning
Glove box opening mechanism broken (have the broken pin and will try to glue/contact cement it back together)
The left manifold cover plate that shows Jaguar V8 is broken
Jaguar decal on left side front fender is missing
Needs a paint job, it sat in the sun and bonnet and trunk lid have bad spots as well as other scratches on body
Front seats are really work badly but not sure I want to put out $2500 for the new covers I found on one of the sites someone here provided me with.
The shocks/struts are likely in need of replacement(bumps a bit hard on bumps in the pavement) but when you go down that path on a 20 year old car you run into other items that need attention....

I'll keep pluggin along.... Thanks and I really appreciate your help!

Timeisrelative (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 01:14 AM
Veteran Member

Wes,

Geez - a lot of questions. Here's a response to a few.
1. CD changer would be in the right hand side of the trunk space, in a rack behind the trunk lining. Easy to remove and check. There's also the hydraulic pump there for the convertible top. Maybe the CD changer broke and someone has removed it. Easy to replace and available. You may even find you have the optional Alpine Premium sound system with an amp, unless that's been removed too.
2. The J Gate gear stick module is really easy to use. Using the gear lever on the RHS (P,R,N,D) is obvious, but the 2,3,4 on the left hand side is used to hold the gear box to a certain gear ratio, ie when you're going downhill and use the gear ratio to hold speed rather than brake. On the freeways, to overtake, push left from D to 4 to up rev to accelerate quicker.
3. Cabin roof mounting console is held up in place by push fit clips, which the previous owner obviously has lost/broken. Real PITA to find these fiddly metal fixings, but check as maybe the plastic tabs broke.
4. Centre Console cup holder is a very complicated geared mechanism and very poorly placed (can't rest your arm or use the Gear Stick if you have a cup of coffee held there). Plus don't take a corner otherwise the cup will fall out. You can buy repair kits to the mechanism but you're better off closing this Jaguar coffee cup holder, and upgrading. A lot of different threads on this forum and different approaches. Simpler just get some cheap add-on from a petrol station that clips somewhere convenient.
5. Depending on the extent of the damage to your seat covers (faded, cracked, ripped etc) there are fixing kits available that you clean, scrub, and respray. And you can buy individual bottom seat squib covers which seem to be worst bit affected on our 20 year old cars (along with the uppder side bolsters)
6. Front shocks' replacement - also do the upper strut mounts if you're doing this.

Good luck with the car and let us know how you get on. We're here to help.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:16 AM
Received 282 Likes on 182 Posts

You are lucky to have a convertible if the actual plastic mounting bracket is broken for the overhead console as they are still available for cheap. If it's the actual console bits that are broken there are lots of them on eBay for a hundred bucks or so. As for the other things, the previous answers are correct. I will add slightly that the 2,3,4 is for "manual shifting". I personally don't like it, but that's just me. Also, the "S" button is "sport mode", from what I've read, starts you in first gear and it does increase the revs at the speed you are going, and does let it run higher. I've also seen where people say it downshifts better when you put your foot down. As for the cup holder, a little wd40 might help. Also, in case you don't know, the ASC OFF button, turns off the "stability control" which reduces power to the rear wheels when they spin. Which is good in the rain, but it can be a little bit of a pain if you go to pull out quickly and the wheels spin a little. I've driven enough red cars that didn't have it to know how to handle it if they spin lol 😁

Last edited by Timeisrelative; 06-13-2019 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:52 AM
Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts

I recently picked up a '97 in a similar condition. Been working through many of the same issues.

If the Key Fob battery is good, you can go to a local autozone or other parts stores, where they have a tester for remotes. If the remotes tests out OK, you can try re-programming it.
https://www.autoreservejaguar.com/ne...xkr-1996-2006/
The cup holder is replaceable. Available on Ebay, Amazon, etc. It may be repairable, if you are good with Epoxy, etc. As mentioned, they are not that good, even when repaired. I'm working on an alternative design, one I've used on one of my other vehicles ( SSR). It uses a BMW drink holder. I'll post something up when I get it working. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Retrofit-Re...72.m2749.l2649
Shocks may be bad, or it could also be the lower shock bushing ( mine was bad). They are replaceable, but not a lot more to replace the whole shock. Also had a bad Sway Bar bushing that caused a lot of banging up front.
I also have bad seats. Tried to get them repaired, but shop couldn't find the "right color". I think he just didn't want to work on them. My backup plan is to buy seat upholstery from Lseat.com. For $300 /set it's hard to beat. I bought a set last year for my Acura seats, and am happy with them. It will not match stock material, if that is an issue for you. For me, it will be close enough. I may eliminate the rear seat anyway- make a package shelf. Or they sell rear seat upholstery for the same price, if you want a matched set.

Lots of great info on the site. I've found most of my answers through search here. Enjoy!

Old 06-13-2019, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by realjwc
So many things for this 'old man' to learn....
.....I am ready to go back out and give it a shot!
.....The little car runs great !
This car will keep you young. It’s enjoyable and has that elusive car grin factor.

But as our forum elder statesman BC once said “it’s like a blonde, give it one thing, it’ll want something else.”

Enjoy the journey and if you need help, you know where to ask.

Johnken (06-14-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 06:01 PM

Thanks to each..... again, I'll put a progress report out here as I make any.... hehe

David, You are great to comment on all the issues.... I was really just giving information as to the condition but your input is helpful!

Wes

Old 06-13-2019, 08:35 PM

Boo..... no CD player in trunk. The right side beside the battery has a control module/fuse panel box. Oh well....

Old 06-13-2019, 08:47 PM

Mine has a CD player, but no cartridge! I ended up buying a Bluetooth fm transmitter on Amazon for $15. Works well

Old 06-13-2019, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Default Did you find the rack

Originally Posted by realjwc
Boo..... no CD player in trunk. The right side beside the battery has a control module/fuse panel box. Oh well....
Behind the carpet liner is a rack. Easy to install something there with lots os space.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:14 PM

Thanks.... I went back out and pulled that panel. *sigh*.... still no CD player. I might very well get one for the future but still other items to give attention to. That is a small 'roomy' compartment for things to be installed I agree! Thanks David!

Old 06-19-2019, 12:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

There are a lot of cartridges available for sale from junkyards: Search Results

Timeisrelative (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by mbillips
There are a lot of cartridges available for sale from junkyards: Search Results
Yeah, there are several on eBay generally too. I just haven't bought one yet 😉