Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   ABS sensors for 2003 and up XK8s (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/abs-sensors-2003-up-xk8s-192146/)

Pantera928 11-12-2017 03:39 PM

ABS sensors for 2003 and up XK8s

I recently started feeling the ABS system start to activate when slowing down even though I was nowhere near locking up the brakes. Of course the associated lights came on and the code said it came from the right read wheel. I looked at the sensor and also Reverend Sams cleaning procedure. The sensor does not look dirty to me but I cleaned it off anyway. Weather is too nasty to test anything today. I started looking at the sensors to buy a replacement since mine was not dirty. It seems that the sensors for 2003 and newer are 4 times more than 2002 and older. They look almost identical. Am I missing something here? Is there a cheaper place to buy these for under $200 each?
THanks

fmertz 11-12-2017 03:55 PM

Check the reluctor ring, too. It is the ring with the teeth that the sensor picks up the rotation from. It is known to come loose and give effectively false readings. Gently try and rotate it with a screwdriver. It needs to be solid with the axle. Known to give transmission error codes, too.

More likely, it is the harness to the sensor. The plug/rubber boot to the sensor has been reported as a wear item, too. Can apparently be repaired.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

PS: You can swap sensors side-to-side and see if the error code follows the sensor...

Pantera928 11-12-2017 04:16 PM

Good point on the swap side to side. FYI, I continue to have transmission error codes (5th, 6th gear ratio incorrect) from time to time even though I have done the lifeguard 6 change twice now. Thinking about changing the solenoids in the tranny next. I already checked the reluctor ring and I could not move it but thanks for mentioning it just in case

fmertz 11-12-2017 06:58 PM

That incorrect ratio more definitely points to the reluctor ring! When the ring is loose, these codes are thrown. You can pull over, shut the engine down, then restart and everything is fine again for a while. That left rear ring is the input for road speed for the transmission logic.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Pantera928 11-12-2017 08:05 PM

That is interesting. You say it is the right rear? I thought it was on the left (US drivers side rear). That is only one I have checked. If it is the right rear and if it is loose, is there a post on here somewhere as to how to fix it? Thanks

fmertz 11-13-2017 09:17 AM

You are right, I corrected it to left rear.

Not sure about the fix. I comes up once in a while on this forum, as part of the rear hub overhaul. Probably best to check the parts or workshop manuals. I believe it is a pressed-in type of deal. Besides that, I am sure there are quick fixes you can do until you get around to that bigger repair.

Pantera928 11-13-2017 09:46 AM

Thanks. I found a couple of posts that say it is a press on fit but a loose one so maybe press on is not the correct term. It is reportedly held in place by the tightening of the hub nut according to posts I have read.

Johnken 11-13-2017 10:15 AM

Greg, thats exactly what I found. The ring is pushed on hand tight ( a press gains you nothing here). It's outside contact's the inner bearing on the wheel side. The reluctor ring's inside is pressed up against the UJoint's splined connector on the axle slide.

God help me but I chose to leave the rubber bearing seal off on the driver side because I couldn't get a decent connection to the reluctor ring with it in place (btw there as no seal there when I disassembled it.

Don't forget you can view the reluctor ring turning with ABS sensor out rear jacked on neutral. Though the pressure is so high you may discover nothing without real driving. After typing i feel like its a waste of time. Its not like youll be able to surprise the rings movement with a screwdriver. I'll leave it in as an FYI.

Is your hub bolted on tight to the axle? Mine was loose before the job, which would lead to bad readings.

Jon89 11-13-2017 11:00 AM

I needed a new rear wheel speed sensor on my 2005 S-Type a couple of years ago. SNG Barratt Group was selling aftermarket ones at that time that were about one-fourth the price of the Jaguar ones. I ordered one of the aftermarket ones and it has worked perfectly. I assume they offer a similar deal for the XK8/XKR....

I knew it was indeed a faulty sensor because when I swapped it to the other rear wheel, the OBDII code followed my swap....

SNG Barratt USA 11-13-2017 02:01 PM

http://www.sngbarratt.com/PartSearch...partno=CBC4705

Pantera928 11-13-2017 03:47 PM

Interesting enough is that on their website, I see no sensor and on the link above, it shows 2 rings with the same part number but one for $88 and another for $280. Confusing to says the least

SNG Barratt USA 11-13-2017 03:55 PM

The version with a * after the part number is manufactured by SNG Barratt.
It is of equal quality to the original at a fraction of the cost.

Any questions please let us know!
Regards
SNG

sales.usa@sngbarratt.com

astromorg 11-13-2017 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Pantera928 (Post 1791911)
..... It seems that the sensors for 2003 and newer are 4 times more than 2002 and older. They look almost identical. Am I missing something here?.....

Prior to MY2003 the wheel sensors were the simple two-wire passive type using a magnet and coil to sense the teeth of the reluctor ring. From 2003 onwards the sensors are still two-wire but are active Hall effect sensors that give a more accurate reading/signal to the ABS/DSC system.

The two types are not interchangeable and yes, there is a price difference!

03 XKR 11-13-2017 09:06 PM

I have been having the same issue with a front speed sensor kicking everything offline while braking and getting a 'kickback' in the pedal. I figured I needed new brake pads and needed to clean the sensors, again.

However, after taking a closer look, I found the sensor on the left front had it's wiring harness cinched down with a zip tie, looks factory, to the point that the wire had gotten so tight at the wheel that any wheel movement, including up and down while going over a speed bump, would cause everything to go offline as it broke contact momentarily.

This was accompanied by an unwanted activation of the ABS in that wheel, resulting in a kickback of the pedal for a nano second, before the electronics determined the readings did not make sense, and shut everything down.

I loosened the wire harness on the sensor, and have had zero repeats. Although I have really been trying to make it go again by taking really curvy roads around the area that put my wheels near the locks.

I can no longer duplicate the event, so for me, it was just a tight wire harness at the sensor.

Pantera928 11-21-2017 08:56 AM

Okay, I removed both rear ABS sensors. I cleaned them both including the electrical contacts. FYI, nothing looked dirty. I swapped the left to right and vice versa. I then tightened the axle nuts which did not seem loose to start with. After all that, no codes no issues(so far) and of course no idea which thing I did cured the issue.
At least it is not an issue now. Lets see what the next silly Jaguar trick will be.
THanks to all for your ideas and suggestions.

Pantera928 11-26-2017 03:45 PM

Latest update. Took the car out for a drive and all went fine...... at first Then, the ABS started pulsing as I was coming to a complete stop like before. It did this a few times and finally flash an error. Plugged in and found a C1165 which should be right rear wheel sensor. I believe I had a C1175 before I switched the sensors from one side to the other so it looks like a bad sensor. I guess. So not where is the best price for sensors for a 2003 XK8?

Jon89 11-27-2017 06:31 AM

As already suggested, check with SNG Barratt Group. Perhaps they are offering a Cyber Monday deal today....

RJ237 11-27-2017 08:56 AM

parts geek offers a eurospares sensor for under $50. If I were in need of one I would try it.

03 XKR 11-27-2017 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Pantera928 (Post 1799367)
Latest update. Took the car out for a drive and all went fine...... at first Then, the ABS started pulsing as I was coming to a complete stop like before. It did this a few times and finally flash an error. Plugged in and found a C1165 which should be right rear wheel sensor. I believe I had a C1175 before I switched the sensors from one side to the other so it looks like a bad sensor. I guess. So not where is the best price for sensors for a 2003 XK8?

Your symptoms sound exactly like mine; have you checked the harness to the sensor to ensure it has sufficient length to move with the cars suspension, and not break contact momentarily causing the unwanted activation of the ABS in that wheel?

My car has the original wiring harness, sensor, and zip tie and over time the harness had 'crept' away from the sensor tightening the wire harness at the sensor, and allowing for the intermittent loss of contact.

It is cheap, or free if you have a zip tie, to cut the old zip tie off, and pull a bit of extra length of wire harness from the arch of the affected wheel, and put on a new zip tie; on my car it looked as if there was sufficient length, but clearly there was not. I did my 'repair' in mid October and have not had another event since.

RJ237 11-27-2017 03:45 PM

His symptoms are not like yours. He moved the sensor to the opposite wheel and the code moved with the sensor. If the cable were the problem the code would not have changed.