XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Stability Control Failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

You live in Ft Worth and Bob is really close.

I can't believe the money the previous owner spent on that car. That is criminal. I just fixed mine which had the typical bad connections inside the module. I followed RJ instructions and pictures. After getting the module out with the help of my INDY friend it took me less than one hour to fix the module. Some cars have to be moving before you can check the wheel sensors through the module plug.

The following users liked this post:
RJ237 (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

We just can't diagnose down to the last detail at a distance. That's why having a member like Bob Gauff nearby is so valuable. I share your distrust of the dealer, but once you have been there and shown them the test results, you can always say you need a second opinion if you don't like their response.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:57 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Disappointing trip to dealer

Spent 5 hours at dealership today to have them look at the reason for the ABS light. I was told it was a front left sensor cable issue and $750 to replace it. I asked why they thought it was a cable issue and I was told “through experience” and “these tend to fail”. I told the that I had check the resistance of each wire/sensor back to the ABS module and they were all about 1k one. They said that just two strands of wire could show those results but still cause an ABS code.

I also talked to the previous owner that had the module replace and a front wheel sensor before that. He claims that replacing the front sensor did not solve the problem but that he picked the car up at the end of the day and it was too late to fix the issue. 6 months later he replaced the ABS module which solved the problem. That means that the sensor was not the issue then and I don’t believe it is the issue now.

So now what? I can retest the cable and wiggle it while testing it but not sure how to convince Jaguar that it is the module if it tests good.

Help!

Old 10-09-2018, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 649 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Texasbill
Spent 5 hours at dealership today to have them look at the reason for the ABS light. I was told it was a front left sensor cable issue and $750 to replace it. I asked why they thought it was a cable issue and I was told “through experience” and “these tend to fail”. I told the that I had check the resistance of each wire/sensor back to the ABS module and they were all about 1k one. They said that just two strands of wire could show those results but still cause an ABS code.

I also talked to the previous owner that had the module replace and a front wheel sensor before that. He claims that replacing the front sensor did not solve the problem but that he picked the car up at the end of the day and it was too late to fix the issue. 6 months later he replaced the ABS module which solved the problem. That means that the sensor was not the issue then and I don’t believe it is the issue now.

So now what? I can retest the cable and wiggle it while testing it but not sure how to convince Jaguar that it is the module if it tests good.

Help!
I guess fix it yourself by trial and error, convince the dealership that you strongly disagree but if replacing the sensor etc fixes the problem you agree to pay them and if not -no pay. (which of course the ds is not going to agree to), pull the abs module and do the diy fix or sent it out for repair)
sorry really no help on my part, did you check the bearings?
wj

Old 10-09-2018, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member

Switch the cables, not difficult. The plug is in the engine compartment on top of the wheel well. I expect the dealership is attempting to weasel out.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by RJ237
Switch the cables, not difficult. The plug is in the engine compartment on top of the wheel well. I expect the dealership is attempting to weasel out.
Looking at that right now! Talked to Bob (motorcarman) and he was very helpful! So, how do you remove the cable from the wheel well? I assumed it just popped off, but I don’t want to break anything by forcing it!

Old 10-09-2018, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member

You just have to depress the tab across the end and pull. Of course, you will also have to read the codes again. The left side code is probably stored, so it will have to be deleted, and drive to see if it reappears. It would be best to have Bob read the codes so that you have test results to show the service manager. But then maybe he will tell you the wiring harness must be faulty based on their extensive experience.

I have a module from my 97 that has the same fault, wonder if it's a manufacturing defect.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:58 PM
Received 136 Likes on 76 Posts

Bob Gauff (motorcarman) is a professional Jag mechanic and member of the forum located in Decatur. You could contact him via a PM and arrange to have him run diagnostics on the car. A skilled indie within driving distance is something many of the forum members don't have.

I think it is a different Decatur.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by scottatl
I think it is a different Decatur.

It is! However, it is Decatur, TX...slightly closer. Still over an hour from me!

Old 10-09-2018, 04:25 PM

Okay, just got done switching the cables and reading the codes. The bottom line......the fault stayed on the left front wheel even though it now has the right front harness on it. I also took the original left harness and did a continuity test on both wires in the cable....moving the harness back and forth and the continuity is very solid.

I just left a message for Jaguar. I think this is conclusive that it is the module. Other opinions?

Old 10-09-2018, 05:21 PM

Okay, just got done switching the cables and reading the codes. The bottom line......the fault stayed on the left front wheel even though it now has the right front harness on it. I also took the original left harness and did a continuity test on both wires in the cable....moving the harness back and forth and the continuity is very solid.

I just left a message for Jaguar. I think this is conclusive that it is the module. Other opinions?
Okay...major faux paux here and I'm eating crow. When I went out to the car to read the codes again I realized there were 2 ABS codes. One said left wheel sensor input and one said RIGHT! Crap. So I cleared both codes and started the car. Now I'm just showing right wheel sensor input. I tested that cable with an ohm meter up and down and it tests good. How could it be that cable?? I think my test is conclusive though....I moved the left cable to the right side and vise versa and the error followed the cable. Just called Jaguar and apologized for my stupid error! Guess I'll buy a new cable!

RJ237 (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member

You might want to consider repairing that harness. As I recall, a new one is about $150. Others have cut the wires near the sensor and the plug and spliced new ones in.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:49 PM

You might want to consider repairing that harness. As I recall, a new one is about $150. Others have cut the wires near the sensor and the plug and spliced new ones in.
Paid $166 on Ebay for a new one. The issue with repairing the one I have is knowing when I have repaired it. I still don't understand how I can continuity check the cable (now out of the car) and get a solid reading from both wires even while stressing the harness??? That still has me puzzled. However, when I swapped cables, the error moved with the cable.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:34 PM

UPDATE

Received the new front wheel sensor harness and Natalie’s it today. Cleared the ABS error code and no more ABS light! Took it for a test ride and all is good! Thanks for all your help.

Bill

RJ237 (10-25-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 649 Likes on 316 Posts

UPDATE

Received the new front wheel sensor harness and Natalie’s it today. Cleared the ABS error code and no more ABS light! Took it for a test ride and all is good! Thanks for all your help.

Bill
glad it worked out for you and didn't hurt the bank too much

wj