XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for buying my first XK8

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Advice for buying my first XK8

Hi everyone! Long time lurker here who just decided to join as I am now in the serious hunt for an XK8. I have found one that I may be able to get for next to nothing (early 00's model, just about to roll over 100k) because it needs a few things that have been thoroughly covered on this forum (yes I have searched for common problems, etc before I posted/joined). I was wondering if I could get some of you to weigh in on two things: 1. see if I have the common issues researched properly, and 2. verify the easy/severity of fixing the issues on the XK I'm looking at.

1. Common issues: From what I have seen, the common stuff is:
a: poor T-chain tensioners/guides (not too difficult or costly to replace)
b: cheap plastic impeller on h20 pump (not too bad to replace either)
c: leaking hydraulic lines on convert top (seems like a wide array on how easy (repair kit for lines from fuse panel to latch) or difficult (complete rebuild) it may be)
d: Throttle body issues (again a wide range of either cleaning contacts to changing out the whole thing)
e: Possible transmission issues (can vary from just doing fluid changes, to a DIY rebuild of solenoids or A shaft, to complete replacement -likely a costly endeavor no matter what)
**please add to this list or elaborate for me, as it will help me immensely in my search!

2. The car I'm looking at:
A: problem 1: leaky hydraulic hoses. I haven't looked it over yet, but from the pics and owners description it may just involve the lines in the header panel (though I know it would be wise to rebuild all the seals as the rams typically leak eventually in back). Would the experts here (you guys) think that I could be OK with replacing the lines only for now? I was thinking to replace the lines with higher pressure hoses and rebuild the latch piston seal (as shown by gus I believe in his writeup on Jag-repair). When I get more time I'd like to do the voltage reduction mod and pressure relief valve as I read this is the way to go. Cost on this looks like it could be from a few hundred bucks (seals or repair kit only) all the way up to 600-800 if I need more stuff replaced (obviously more if I took it somewhere, but I'm a car guy and have 3 friends who are full time mechanics at a local Benz dealership so we should have the know how for most stuff).

B: Throttle Position Sensor: Again, I haven't seen it myself and I will get the codes read, but it looks like there could be several things here. The owner describes it as many on here have that the car will throw a code and have trouble running right, but will only do it every once in a while, and they claim it it is the TPS. I read here that 1. the TPS could be moved out of place as there are set screws that allow some 'turning' of its position, and 2. the TPS can't be bought w/o the whole TB being purchased? (there isn't even a Lincoln LS, etc TPS I could use?). I know there is much ado about throttle bodies on these cars, but it does look like some of you have had luck cleaning them good and cleaning the contacts on the TPS as well as cleaning the MAF. What are the main codes to watch for and/or advice on what I might get into? Looks like anywhere from a free fix (cleaning) to about 3-400 bucks for a reman TB online

C: Rack and pinion leak: I have read about either replacing seals (though some of you have said even then it still leaked) to just buying a reman one; doesn't look like too bad of a job (esp compared to doing the same job on a stealth/3000gt where you would have to lift the engine). Looks like $ might be around 300-600 bucks including tie rod ends being replaced (I get free alignments from my buddies at the Merc dealership)

D: Transmission: No problems here per the owner, but it still is a concern of mine. Looks like many of you have had good luck if you don't "hoon" the crumpets out of them, and it also looks like a used ZF 5HP24 trans is available aplenty from a basic web search (and it is also reassuring to see it was used in more cars like the 540 and 740 bimmers, etc so it shouldn't be as scarce as I originally thought). General thoughts on longevity or pitfalls to watch for?

Bottom line on this car: I think if I can be in it for 3K all told it will be a good deal, but otherwise I'd just be better off buying one for 6-8K that is all fixed up as there are many around me in this $ range.

Thanks a million guys! Even if this car is a "turd" I will be keeping my eyes out for an XK and will likely have one soon (much sooner with your help!). This is a car that I have loved ever since they came out when I was in HS, but obviously had no way of affording a 90-100K car at the time. They are quite a bit of car for the $$ with the prices I'm seeing now

Old 03-31-2014, 02:04 PM

Forgot to add a common problem of the T-stat failing, which is typically what screws up the h20 pump impeller to begin with, right?

Old 03-31-2014, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Unfortunately, you're on the wrong part of the forum; this is for the alloy-bodied XKs. Hopefully the mods can move it over to the XK8 forum.

Anyway, there's a similar thread started a couple of days ago:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...99-kx8-114700/

The impeller is plastic, like the tensioners, and age & temperature make it brittle.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Unfortunately, you're on the wrong part of the forum; this is for the alloy-bodied XKs. Hopefully the mods can move it over to the XK8 forum.

Anyway, there's a similar thread started a couple of days ago:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...99-kx8-114700/

The impeller is plastic, like the tensioners, and age & temperature make it brittle.
Thanks Ngarara, I totally misposted this then, sorry! Mods, could you please move my posts to the XK8 (97-06) forum? thanks!

Old 03-31-2014, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

No problem to us, you just won't get as many answers

Take a look at that other thread, I posted some of my experiences with my '97. Overall, it was a damn good car, and it served me well for 13 years.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:46 PM
Received 4,180 Likes on 3,643 Posts

thread moved

Old 04-09-2014, 12:41 AM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

$3k would be a steal for a driveable car. XK8's with bad transmissions or bad engines will go for $2k or more. If you buy this one and fix it up, you will know everything is right. Besides, more expensive cars have problems too.

Brett

Old 04-09-2014, 07:10 AM

Thanks Brett! Yeah it needs a little more than I initially was told. Has airbag light on, but looks like it was never wrecked, probably just a sensor. Also it's got a couple odds and ends. I walked from it, but am thinking of offering lower. I don't know where you live, but here I've seen two in the past couple months that had 120-150k miles but didn't really need anything major and both were in the 3500-4000 range. So, I'm pretty sure I don't want to buy this for 3k, b/c I know I can get a nice one for 6-7, and would slap myself if I ended up putting that much $ plus my time in it lol. But great point that nice ones still need stuff too, at least I know stuff will be done on this one.

J