Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All about OBDII Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 07:46 AM
Received 281 Likes on 203 Posts
Default All about OBDII Bluetooth

Howdy Folks:
I have been picking up bits and pieces on OBDII Bluetooth, and have downloaded the Torque Lite for Android. I am interested in what all is available for our cars. I have seen adapters from ~$20 to $200, and do not have a clue as to the difference, except that I understand some give conflicting codes. Will the boost feature work with our supercharged models?
Just how much data can we squeeze out of these things? Any comments appreciated as I do want one, but I want it to be a wise choice.
Thanks all.

Last edited by Dr. D; 11-24-2011 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 11-24-2011, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. D
Howdy Folks:
Also, will the boost work with the supercharged models.

Thanks all.
You can moinitor manifold vacuum and see when it starts to go positive as boost engages, but the vacuum sensor in the car does not accurately measure boost pressure.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

I purchased the PLX Kiwi from Amazon (used my Amex points) paired with my Toshiba Thrive tablet. I haven't figured out everything it does yet. I don't know how to get it to read the B and C codes.

Old 11-24-2011, 03:26 PM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

I use the $15 eBay OBD bluetooth and get a lot of information on the engine, short and long term fuel trims, AFR, air an water temps, speed, RPM etc + G meter.

Only reads engine codes and no chassis codes.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

I got this one from dealextreme.com. It was $50. It gives me chassis codes, but I'm not 100% certain they are accurate. I need to fiddle with it again to see. I intentionally disconnected a wheel speed sensor, and it gave me the code, but it said it was for a different wheel than I disconnected. I need to cross reference the code to see if the OBDII tool was sending the wrong code to the Torque app, or if the app just displayed the wrong code for that wheel.

ELM327 Bluetooth OBD-II Wireless Transceiver Dongle - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

By the way... On mine I took the plastic top of it off and learned that it is way bigger than it needs to be. I just left the top off and covered it with electrical tape. That made it half its original size. I leave it plugged in all the time.

Last edited by Reverend Sam; 11-24-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
You can moinitor manifold vacuum and see when it starts to go positive as boost engages, but the vacuum sensor in the car does not accurately measure boost pressure.
I was hoping that it would show the boost. I guess that a mechanical or electric guage would be the way to an accurate reading. I am still out to lunch for an adapter choice. Thanks for all the input so far.

Does anyone know if any of them read the tranny temperature for the 722.6/NAG1/W5A580 Merc. units? (It's not a deal killer but if accurate, it beats pinging the pan when changing fluid.)

Old 11-25-2011, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member

I was hoping that it would show the boost. I guess that a mechanical or electric guage would be the way to an accurate reading. I am still out to lunch for an adapter choice. Thanks for all the input so far.

Does anyone know if any of them read the tranny temperature for the 722.6/NAG1/W5A580 Merc. units? (It's not a deal killer but if accurate, it beats pinging the pan when changing fluid.)
I was really interested in boost pressure, oil pressure and intercooler temperature, none of which are avaialble on OBDII, that is why I went with the HKS CAMP 2 which combines external sernsors and OBDII (link in my signature)...but it is a pricey option.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
I was really interested in boost pressure, oil pressure and intercooler temperature, none of which are avaialble on OBDII, that is why I went with the HKS CAMP 2 which combines external sernsors and OBDII (link in my signature)...but it is a pricey option.
I just took a look a the HKS CAMP 2 sites and it is too pricey for me (but extremely impressive). I see that you opted for the intercooler temp. Just curious, I understand that it is a one channel temp guage, but will it allow you to toggle sensors for oil and tranny temp?
I think I will go with a ~$50 adapter unless someone changes my mind.
I really would like to know what the boost is doing. As for my tranny, I will continue to just ping it with my Mastercool 52224-B.
Thanks all

Old 11-26-2011, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member

I just took a look a the HKS CAMP 2 sites and it is too pricey for me (but extremely impressive). I see that you opted for the intercooler temp. Just curious, I understand that it is a one channel temp guage, but will it allow you to toggle sensors for oil and tranny temp?
Thanks all
I read coolant temperature and intake air temp. through the HKS OBDII interface. There are two external temperture inputs in the HKS 'Meter Interface Unit', so 2 out of these 3 temps could be monitored without an external switch: oil, transmission or intercooler temperature. In my implementation I just monitor intercooler.

Unfortunately, even though the the Jag can read oil temp over OBDII, the HKS does not pick that up.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

I'm using TOrque with android phone and a BT dongle similar to the Rev's pic above, but black and longer...It reports xmsn temp on my XJ6 but a careful observation reveals it is merely eng oil temp on about a 1 sec delay. Haven't cracked the code on reading chassis codes with it, however. There are distinct differences between what it will show you on the XJ6 vs. the newer S-types but I usually have it in the 6, can't really remember what I gain/lose switching to an S. Suspect the XK would be different still...but would expect a bit of commonality in same MY.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:32 AM

Howdy Folks:
I have the lite version Of Torque. Is anyone sold on the full version?

Old 11-26-2011, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

I have the full version. A lot of stuff I don't use or understand.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

hmm....I didn't pay attention.....tried the "free" version for a week or so, couldn't get fuel trims....finally forked over the near-as-makes-no-difference $5. Much improved. The "Free" (lite?) returned false codes for my AJ16 secondary air pump issue. Well worth the $5 upgrade if that's what it still is.

FWIW, I was very disappointed in the available documentation regarding what you get with the paid version vs. the free.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I'm still trying to find someone who is willing to create those custom PID sensors for our cars. I'm using my AutoEnginuity for the really advanced stuff, like the trans temp, brake and body module codes, but using the torque for quick O2, fuel pressure, and engine information. I'd be willing to let someone use my AE, in tangent with their PID invasive software program to locate these very mysterious PID codes, ones that once are found, can be simply typed into Torque in the advanced sensor area and enjoyed by all XK owners, maybe other jaguar models. Did you notice the Ford and Toyota add-on packs you can load? BTW, the ford's does not show anything else on our cars, yes, i tried.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member

I saw the custom PID thingy but didn't have a clue of what to input.