Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Am I the only one amazed by these cars? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/am-i-only-one-amazed-these-cars-60895/)

cheaperts 09-17-2011 08:49 PM

Am I the only one amazed by these cars?

After owning my 99 XK8 for 6 months now I love it just as much if not more today as when I drove it home. It always makes me smile when I turn that key, and walking out in the garage and seeing her I often marvel that I have such an amazing machine. Few days go by without a comment/compliment, and almost daily some one wants to give me a try at the stop light, but I respect her too much to push her too often-I want her to last forever.

I just think we are a fortunate few to own and drive these awesome creatures
:icon_twocents:

Frog 09-18-2011 03:10 AM

My view after 9 months' ownership: beautiful and sexy but a PITA to maintain. A bit like my wife, if I'm honest :D

Cadillac 09-18-2011 05:14 AM

Good to read such threads, I wish your satisfaction continues as long as you keep your car in your storage

mjlaris 09-18-2011 07:33 AM

You are certainly not alone, my XKR is a joy to drive and is a beautiful machine. The ride is smooth and quite, the power and acceleration are awesome, and then there is the mystique and class that is Jaguar. I never dreamed that I would be able to own such a car.

Mark

charliepace 09-20-2011 08:14 PM

Ditto to all of the above,:icon_playing: the PITA part is why we can afford them and the quality of this group is why we can keep them going.

Terrapin 09-21-2011 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by charliepace (Post 407311)
Ditto to all of the above,:icon_playing: the PITA part is why we can afford them and the quality of this group is why we can keep them going.

This ^^

So true cheaperts, although still a newbie owner approaching a month now. I live in the Bay Area and need to take a weekend soon and cruise up to Tahoe to get some quality time in an awesome setting.

dennisw 10-12-2011 11:40 AM

beautiful machine

mcbeefsteak 10-12-2011 02:17 PM

Just rolled to In-N-Out in the XKR. Took my Korean coworker. We were laughing our head off flying down I-114, top down, 100mph, and then the girls at the burger joint were giving us the eye and saying "nice car!"

If I was forty years younger....well, I'd only be five. But still. There was a time! I think! :)

Reverend Sam 10-12-2011 05:07 PM

LOL!!! I'm also 45. On Sunday I stopped to get gas, and as I was standing by the car filling up a lady in an SUV drove up and started flirting with me! Then she saw my 18 year-old daughter, who was sitting in the passenger seat. I'm assuming she thought my daughter was my girlfriend, because after she saw her she drove away. But it was so funny! My daughter was like "that was weird!" I explained to her it happens at least once a week when I'm driving the Jag. It's not always a chick trying to flirt with me, but people just come up to me out of the blue and compliment me on the car.

When I first got it I used to notice all of the people staring at my car as I drove by. Now I've gotten used to it, but every once in a while I'll pay attention, and sure enough, people are always rubbernecking to get a look at the car.

gchin 10-12-2011 06:20 PM

The XK8 is beautiful and very classy. Not a boy toy. When driving on a city street, sometimes you hear someone say to their friend, "That's a Jag!" Neither the age of the driver nor the Jaguar seems to matter.

ipurr2 10-12-2011 07:42 PM

Ha! Ha! Just the opposite happens to me, female, I think guys get intimidated by my car, at least the young ones. Yea, my car makes me smile!

alfred 10-12-2011 08:01 PM

We are all quite lucky to have these cars in our garages. They look great even standing still. When I crossed the border last week, the American customs officer says " you own this car?" I say yes, he goes though his 20 questions, then asks "so, you really own this car?" . Maybe I should have been holding a Cuban cigar or wearing a Gucci watch to make him believe it was mine. I felt like saying the Rolls was in the shop!

DaleD 10-12-2011 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by cheaperts (Post 406182)
Almost daily some one wants to give me a try at the stop light, but I respect her too much to push her too often-I want her to last forever. :icon_twocents:

But I do occasionally "give in"! Forgive me, I have sinned! (and sometimes win! DaleD :icon_sultan:

cheaperts 10-13-2011 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by ipurr2 (Post 416250)
Ha! Ha! Just the opposite happens to me, female, I think guys get intimidated by my car, at least the young ones. Yea, my car makes me smile!

You know what they think when they see you and your car...
"Out of my League"

cheaperts 10-13-2011 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by DaleD (Post 416324)
But I do occasionally "give in"! Forgive me, I have sinned! (and sometimes win! DaleD :icon_sultan:

OH! I finally figured out what that "S" button behind the shifter is:
The "SIN SWITCH"

Frog 10-13-2011 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam (Post 416207)
It's not always a chick trying to flirt with me...

Don't be bashful, Sam. Tell it like it is, lol :)

80sRule 10-13-2011 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by ipurr2 (Post 416250)

My best friend borrows my cars once in a while(I borrow her truck occasionally too) and OMG the creeps come out for her. She is a short, fit, tiny asian woman in her early 20s who does makeup for a living. She's literally a rolling fetish for some guys!

BrownRobin 10-13-2011 07:32 PM

I have a Gold 2007 S-Type and pop over to the XK8 section every once in a while.

I've always thought that the 1990's - 2006 XK8/XKR models were the most beautiful of the bunch that Jaguar ever created. To me, even better than the original E-type.

There is a gentleman in my area that drives a Topaz XK8 convertible. What a gorgeous car.

You are all a very lucky bunch indeed.

DJagman 10-16-2011 03:34 PM

Amazing cars

I have always had really nice cars and motorcycles that were somewhat out of the ordinary. When parking my car it is not unusual to have someone remark on it. I also try to park where I can see it from inside and if going to a restaurant I ask for a table by the window. People that do not drive an XK8 or XKR would not realize how many times people stop and look at our cars when they sit in a parking lot.

I also have the same thing happen with my bike. It is a Custom Vehicle Operation limited edition Harley that came out for 2003, the 100th Anniversary of Harley. I can park it in a lot of nothing else but Harleys and there is almost always a few people that group around my bike and gawk and talk.

My wife says I secretly like it. What can I say?? :icon_idea:

Adster 10-16-2011 04:48 PM

I think they say it best on Top Gear when they talk about jags, they make you feel special.

I know my XK may not be the best design, it's heavy, slower than cars that may also have much better fuel economy and be more reliable... But for smile factors and the way it makes me feel every time I turn the key... Priceless!