Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another convertible top cry for help

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by johns55
Well it was a long time to tomorrow I just got the panel above the windscreen off yesterday and applied sealant to the hoses going to the latch. Tightened it up and waited until today to try the top. Same result. Top raises to the latch, latch pulls down about 70% of the way and then stalls out. I'll try it a couple of more times in the next couple of days but I'm not too optimistic.
Have I got this right? Earlier you applied PTFE to the pump ends of the latch hoses and got a temporary fix ... the latch operated normally one time. Now you've applied PTFE to the latch ends of the same hoses with no effect.

Did you also reapply PTFE to the pump ends in your most recent test? If you did, then my idea about a suspect fitting is probably wrong.
But if you did not, I'd like to see one more test with PTFE re-applied to the pump ends. No need to do the latch ends again. If we get another temporary fix then a bad fitting (or o-ring) at the pump end is pretty strongly indicated.

It's because the video you posted a while back suggests air getting in somehow that I'm beating on this possibly-deceased horse.

(re: your 03:32 post yesterday ... without going into chapter and verse that behavior seems normal.)

Last edited by Dennis07; 07-08-2018 at 08:28 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-08-2018, 02:25 PM
Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis07
Have I got this right? Earlier you applied PTFE to the pump ends of the latch hoses and got a temporary fix ... the latch operated normally one time. Now you've applied PTFE to the latch ends of the same hoses with no effect.

Did you also reapply PTFE to the pump ends in your most recent test? If you did, then my idea about a suspect fitting is probably wrong.
But if you did not, I'd like to see one more test with PTFE re-applied to the pump ends. No need to do the latch ends again. If we get another temporary fix then a bad fitting (or o-ring) at the pump end is pretty strongly indicated.

It's because the video you posted a while back suggests air getting in somehow that I'm beating on this possibly-deceased horse.

(re: your 03:32 post yesterday ... without going into chapter and verse that behavior seems normal.)
Thanks Dennis07, I have just now reapplied PTFE sealant to the hoses at the pump end. I'm going to wait for 24 hours before trying the top. Just to make sure.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:59 AM

Another update. I waited a day to try the top and got the same result as the first time I resealed the latch hoses going to the pump. The top worked the first time I tried it. On the second attempt, it stalled half way through latching. So, it seems to me something is wrong at the hose connection at the pump.

The Permatex sealant with PTFE seems to work for a short time but is not able to keep the seal. These are new hoses from Top Hydraulics. I am thinking there is some kind of scoring on the inlet side of the pump/hose connector. I may try a different sealant.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member

Well there it is then. Looks like you've got it surrounded. Trouble could be in either of the two latch hose fittings at the pump; you might try testing with sealant applied to each one individually to see which is the bad guy (no need to let the sealant dry).

I've never found a sealant that would provide a permanent fix in your situation. Check for a damaged o-ring; quick cheap fix if that's the issue. If there is scoring inside the female end of the fitting (elbow that threads into the pump) that's almost as cheap and easy to fix. If the male end of the fitting is in trouble, that's a new hose.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis07
Well there it is then. Looks like you've got it surrounded. Trouble could be in either of the two latch hose fittings at the pump; you might try testing with sealant applied to each one individually to see which is the bad guy (no need to let the sealant dry).

I've never found a sealant that would provide a permanent fix in your situation. Check for a damaged o-ring; quick cheap fix if that's the issue. If there is scoring inside the female end of the fitting (elbow that threads into the pump) that's almost as cheap and easy to fix. If the male end of the fitting is in trouble, that's a new hose.
The thing is, the hoses are brand new from Top Hydraulics. I also had the same problem with the old hoses so it must be the female end on the pump. Are those replaceable?

Old 07-12-2018, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member

The elbows are replaceable. Your hose supplier might source these since they also do pump overhauls. If not, I can look up the specs and you can get them from a hydraulics component vendor like Malone ( www.malonespecialtyinc.com ). I've bought them in the past and they're not hard to find.

Have you tested to see which of the two fittings is the problem? (just curious)

Last edited by Dennis07; 07-12-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:35 PM

No, I haven't checked to see which side has the problem. Figured I'd be replacing both anyway. I'll contact Top Hydraulics to see about getting replacement elbows. I'll be away in Chicago for the next week so I'll get on this when I get back.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member

I would replace only the elbow that is causing the problem. Removing these can be a bit difficult.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:54 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi John55: Did you ever resolve the problem with the top latch? I know it's been a while since you last posted about this subject. I'm interested what may have resolved it.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:46 AM
Received 211 Likes on 119 Posts

Hi. Just seen Dav2ison´s post - yes I would also be interested to know the latest.

And I had another thought about a possible cause, if it remains an outstanding problem (this might have been mentioned above, so apologies if so!) I believe that if new hydraulic fluid is added to old fluid, it is possible to get gelling within the hydraulic system. The fluids have to be the same spec. If you have not flushed out the entire system, maybe that would be worth doing, replacing all the fluid with the latest specification.

Old 06-23-2019, 03:03 PM

I haven't gotten this problem figured out yet. Unfortunately, I am dealing with a cylinder misfire problem that has rendered the car unusable. I have a thread going on that problem. Also, since the car has been in the garage for the last 5 months, I've raised and lowered the top maybe five times with no issues. These cars do try your patience

Old 06-23-2019, 03:37 PM

Thanks John55. Sorry to here of the issues you’ve been having. I’ve followed a number of posts regarding the hydraulic top hoses and am considering replacement of the set along with the latch actuator and lift cylinders. Wh

Old 06-30-2019, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dav2ison
Thanks John55. Sorry to here of the issues you’ve been having. I’ve followed a number of posts regarding the hydraulic top hoses and am considering replacement of the set along with the latch actuator and lift cylinders. Wh
I have replaced the entire hydraulic system with the exception of the pump. If you need any help, let me know.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:06 AM

Thanks John, when if I need help, I'll let you know. Not planning it for this summer though, maybe next. Thanks!