Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti-Freeze leak under Manifold, PLEASE Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Anti-Freeze leak under Manifold, PLEASE Help

Hi guys,
I have run into what looks to be an expensive repair job. Two months ago I had my trusted Independent Mechanic flush my Radiator while replacing my Overflow Tank. Immediately after that it started smelling of burnt anti-freeze and losing a bit of A-F. Today he did a pressure test and after quite a while he found it was pooling a small bit of A-F in the rear of the engine. It seems to be coming from under the Intake Manifold. He said that there is a hose that runs under there, but that it's a big job to get at it. We decided to check with you guys here to see if there is any recourse other than removing the Intake Manifold. If there is something else that may be at fault, I would sure like to know about it before he starts really digging deeper. He's a great mechanic, but not completely up to date on the nuances of XK8'R's.

I found 3 old posts that made some mention of that problem.

This one was by Gus: "If you think you have a leak you can examine your cars hoses and see if you can find it and chances are that you will not locate the problem the first try. I have been told of leak at the seams of the coolant tank and or the hose that goes under the manifold to the bulkhead and it is no pleasure to replace."

Another by Oldmots: "These cars are known for the failure of the heater hoses that run under the intake manifold. The heat in there can dry the coolant before it runs onto the ground or it will run off the rear of the engine where you are not looking for it."

Good info from Brutal: "And replace the 2 heater hoses while you're under there."

Is there anything that I should know about this problem/solution? Many, many thanks in advance. I really would like to be more knowledgeable about this issue.

Regards,
Brian

Old 02-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Unfortunatly brian, its highly probable that theyre leaking. And 1 of the draw backs to haveing a supercharged engine. You have to remove the intercoolers and blower to access. Replace everything including the hoses for the bypass valve for the blower and all gaskets. You only want to go in there once, OH AND REPLACE THE HEATER HOSE MATRIX HOSES BEHIND THE ENGINE TOO WHILE YOU HAVE EVERYTHING OUT OF THE WAY, ITS SOOOOOOO MUCH EASLIER

Old 02-08-2010, 06:39 PM

Hi Brutal,
Thank you so much for the reply and info, I appreciate them both. I must admit, I was hoping that you would chime in. I feel much better about having him proceed now. Sounds like it the worst possible place to have an A-F leak, but I'll make the most of it, and we'll get all the hoses replaced as you suggested.
Many, many thanks!
Brian

Old 02-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

sorry brian, for once, Matt's thankful he doesn't have a supercharged xk! I do feel for you though.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:52 AM

Hi Matt,
Yeah, I've been searching old posts for any tidbits that I can pass on to my mechanic. The Supercharger definitely adds a layer of difficulty to an already tough job. It's going to be expensive, but....................it's my Jag, so it's well worth it.

If anyone has tips that would add to making this job somewhat easier, I would appreciate hearing them.
Thanks!
Brian

Old 02-09-2010, 08:28 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

try to find whiteSTR's (pretty sure its his) thread about his coolant leak under his supercharger, there's some pictures and other information in that. I remember reading about it.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

This is another case of problems ocurring after cooling system flushing. I never flush a cooling system, I just dump the old and add new. The flush chemical makers sure believe in it but the rest of us suffer! In the past, I can say that almost EVERY time I flushed with chemicals, some new problem developed including total waterpump failure immediately after. Maybe it's just me, but I thought I'd mention it. I know the cat's out of the bag now but maybe someone will benefit.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member

I may be missing something, but pulling the supercharger is just a bolt and gasket replacement job with a partial coolant drain, not a big project. Everything is easy to get to and there are no fiddly things to reset or reflash. The hardest job is removing the drive belt! It will make changing the supercharger oil a little easier.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:33 PM

Hi,
I sure hope that I did not create this problem by a preventative maintenance Cooling System Flush.......that would really suck!

Matt, I read WhiteSTR's thread (and the related one in the UK). Hopefully, he will chime in on what has transpired since his last thread.

I'm still looking for relevant info, specifically on Supercharged 4.0 L engines.
Thanks,
Brian

Old 02-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Pulling the super charger is easlier said than done. And compared to this same repair on n/a, its a hellofalot more work involved. Yes its just nuts and bolts. And I wouldnt relate it to a coolant flush, youre due. Its all plastic and rubber and it all goes away with time. We put more heater cores in due to plugged passages than any leaks i can ever remember. And the intercoolers and hat passages on sc cars are very prone to this as well

Old 02-09-2010, 07:53 PM

Thanks Brutal, I think that you are right, it was this parts' time to go. Dan Wicker with Nalley Jag is kind enough to help me figure out the hoses and their respective numbers that I need, so it will all work out. I sure appreciate the input from you and others trying to help!
Regards,
Brian

Old 02-10-2010, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member

I suppose I was trying too hard to make the work seem doable. You're right about it being a lot of work compared to the NA model, there are a lot of pieces. I tend to rate work by how many difficult adjustments have to be made and with how many special tools as a part of the job. This one has none of that and I would consider it easy, even if it took awhile. Both my Jaguars sit at home and are not daily drivers, so if the job takes two days, it's not a problem.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:26 PM

Either way, I'm a lousy mechanic, and I wouldn't dare tackle this job myself. It pains me to admit that, but it's the truth. Fortunately, I have a great Indie that I trust for the hard jobs. I'm gathering info for him as I know that it is a big job and there may be some tips/tricks that all of you have encountered. I'm making progress in my research.
Thanks,
Brian

Old 01-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default heater hoses

Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails Anti-Freeze leak under Manifold, PLEASE Help-heater2.jpg   Anti-Freeze leak under Manifold, PLEASE Help-heater-hoses.jpg  
Old 01-11-2013, 04:49 AM

Thanks for the diagrams. The issue was a huge P-I-A, not to mention overly expensive. I'm glad it seems to be put to rest now!
Regards,
Brian

Old 01-11-2013, 05:44 AM
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
Pulling the super charger is easlier said than done. And compared to this same repair on n/a, its a hellofalot more work involved. Yes its just nuts and bolts. And I wouldnt relate it to a coolant flush, youre due. Its all plastic and rubber and it all goes away with time. We put more heater cores in due to plugged passages than any leaks i can ever remember. And the intercoolers and hat passages on sc cars are very prone to this as well

Brutal......I had to replace the heater core on my 1997 XK8 (just one of the many things on my "to do" list to get her on the road/ bought the car at auction/ this winters project)

Do you think I should be concerned about a blockage somewhere? The car sat for 3 yrs. before I finally got started on it but now that I've completed all my engine work the motor runs fine and no leaks whatsoever.

Should i be concerned???
Thanks,
Bruce