XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS light 2001 XK8

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 09:27 PM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default ABS light 2001 XK8

My ABS light came back on tonight. I had the wheel sensors removed and cleaned last week. Light went out but now it's back on. Any thoughts on what to check next? Could one of my wheel sensors be bad?

Old 03-26-2011, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Does it come on immediately after ignition before you move the car?

Old 03-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Bassmanie:

You might want to get the codes read. If you don't have a scanner, Autozone, O'Reilly's or Advance Auto Parts will read them for free.

Cleaning the ABS sensors is the first step with any ABS light or message popping up.

With the codes, this forum could point you into a plan of action.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:44 PM

WXKR the light now stays on after start up. Also a warning about the Trac not available. It's on now but has gone off before. I'll Take it to Autozone to get the code read.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

If you have the problem on startup it is probably not the wheel sensors.

Weak batteries have been known to cause this on occasion, while you are Autozone have them also load test the battery.

I am not sure if Autozone can read the ABS codes on a Jag, but it is worth a try.

If the battery checks out OK, do the system reset thing, (remove the (-) battery terminal and touch it to the (+) for a few seconds)....read carefully here...this does not mean short across the battery terminals.

If after all this you still have the problem, chances are the ABS electronic module needs repair or replacement. There is a well known problem with the module (a solder joint that commonly breaks), so it is generally more cost effective to have this expensive module rebuilt or repaired.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,258 Likes on 564 Posts

That's not good. How good are you with a soldering iron? If the warning comes on even before the car starts rolling, then I'm guessing you have a bad ABS module. It could be a bad sensor, too, but there's not a lot to go wrong with the sensors. Maybe you have a bad connection. Did the cleaner of your sensors also clean the little cog thingys?

Old 03-27-2011, 12:08 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

If I were a bettin' man, you have a C1095, "pump motor circuit failure", and it's not the pump that will be bad....it'll be the ABS module. I'd also bet that Autozone will not be able to read the ABS codes. Try taking it to a dealer to see if they will use a handheld GDS 500/510 to read the ABS codes for a reasonable price, say 1/2 hour labor. Let me know what you come up with....and if it needs the module/repair, I know a guy that can help you out.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:24 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

+1 above, once you get the code...from a dealer or using the enhanced feature of AutoEnginuity scanner, you'll have a clearer path. If you get a wheel speed sensor circuit failure (and it will tell you which wheel(s) instead of the pump motor circuit, you're looking for a bad sensor or a wiring issue (the latter is more often the case)

Remove some uncertainty, and see if you can have it read.

I did the same for gameblaster over here in Dallas two weekends ago. We discovered had two sensor circuit failure codes, both on his front wheels...and this was after he had already tried to solve his warning messages by replacing the ABS module, obviously a waste of money. He found a broken wiring harness connector as a result of further investigation, and knowing where to look.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:18 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I am dealing with the same problem, put up a thread about it also. Sounds like the smart next step for me is to get someone to ID the codes for me to save time and money doing the replacement game.

Thanks again for the info.

Last edited by JagXK82001; 03-27-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am having the same problem.

Looking at the JTIS the hydraulic Control module has to be removed because the ABS module is attached to the back of the HCU. Removing the HCU requires brake bleeding and disconnecting all 6 hydraulic lines before removal. Anyone have another solution to avoid all this hassle? For example can you just unbolt it and pull it away from the fender well enough to detach the ABS module?

Old 03-27-2011, 02:29 PM

My ABS light went out today on start up. When it comes on it is not at start up but after it's been driven for a while. Every two or three days. It always goes back off. As suggested I will take it on to the Jag dealer to have the codes read. I'll let you guys know what o find out. I appreciate all of your help.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:40 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a chat with the folks at AutoZone today and they said they could read the codes for us. On Monday or Tuesday I intend to take my car down to have them ID the codes for me. I will let you know the outcome.

My problem started the same way. I would be driving and all of a sudden the ABS, Trackson Control and ASC fault message would come on. I would restart and it would go off, maybe for days. But it got worse and eventually it just comes on at startup all the time now.

I thought maybe it was letting me know the brake pads were worn down to the point of replacement. That would be something that would get progressively worse and seemed a logical solution. But the info here, on the forum points to the solder joint problem in the ABS control box.

I will get the codes read on Monday and go from there. I did purchase front brake pads so I could replace those quickly if the codes don't give me the answer I am expecting.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:32 AM

Talked to Autozone today. They said they can read the codes on a XK8 for free but the light has to be on. Since my light if off right now, I'll get the battery checked and replace the front brakes which it does need. If the light comes back on, off to Autozone i go

Old 03-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Veteran member

Fellas, I'm telling you, the ABS on the jaguar won't be able to be read by Autozone's $100 scanner. If they do, please post it here with a pic of their scanner showing the code, and I'll mail you each $50.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:37 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by h20boy
Fellas, I'm telling you, the ABS on the jaguar won't be able to be read by Autozone's $100 scanner. If they do, please post it here with a pic of their scanner showing the code, and I'll mail you each $50.
Agreed.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:22 AM

H2O what is the scanner that can read the code? Light came back on when I parked it last night.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by h20boy
You know my address, but I prefer PayPal. If you're going to send it through the mail, please send a single $50 bill and write "Reverend Sam is a Jaguar GOD" in big letters across the front of the bill. ...and sign your name to it. I will permanently affix it to the wood veneer on top of the passenger air bag so that my passengers will always know who they are dealing with. I might even drive out to Dallas and give you a ride in the car, just to rub it in.

OK, fine! That isn't the $100 Autozone scanner. That's my $45 bluetooth OBDII reader I ordered from China and a $5 app for my Android phone called "Torque". It reads all sorts of groovy stuff. Unfortunately it doesn't read transmission temps. It does read the chassis codes, however, including the wheel speed sensor codes. That code above, C1175, indicates a problem with the left front wheel speed sensor. I went out to the garage, cranked the wheel all the way to the left, and I was easily able to disconnect the connector to cause the code.

I discovered that my bluetooth OBDII scanner would read wheel speed codes yesterday when I was installing the rear window switch. I accidentally left one of the connectors in the tunnel disconnected and I got two wheel speed codes along with a few others. I like my cheap, Chinese, bluetooth OBDII scanner more and more every day. It stays permanently connected in the Jag. I think I'm going to buy another to attach to the Expedition. With all of the technology in cars today it seems like manufacturers would just enable the cars to display that info without having to use a DTC reader, however I guess the dealers make good money from reading codes and fixing whatever is causing the problem. If anyone could read their own codes, along with a description of the problem and a list of potential solutions simply by pushing a few buttons on the dash, dealers would lose out on a lot of repair revenue.

Attached Thumbnails ABS light 2001 XK8-wheel-sensor-fault-code.jpg  
Old 03-29-2011, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member

For anyone interested in the Bluetooth OBDII scanner I use, here's a link to the one I purchased: $52.99 - ELM327 Bluetooth OBD-II Wireless Transceiver Dongle - OBD/OBD2 Car Diag. Tools

I chose it because it looked more compact than some of the others I've seen. And it was blue, not black like the others. I didn't want a giant black object hanging down between my legs as I was driving. This blue one was still too long and I frequently bumped it with my knee when getting into the car. Eventually I broke it in half, which was a good thing, because I learned that the electronics inside of it only fill up about 1/2 of it. I just wrapped some black electrical tape around it and now I have a nice, compact little OBDII scanner permanently attached to my OBD port. It is virtually unnoticeable and I never bump it with my knee anymore.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:25 AM

Hi Sam, will it work with an iphone 4?

Old 03-29-2011, 09:27 AM
Veteran member

I am impressed, truly, that the android app can actually pull some non-drivetrain codes.

Unfortunately, isn't C1175 left REAR wheel sensor fault? And you say you pulled the left FRONT connector to initiate a code? I hope you went to the back and tore that corner apart looking for your suspect.

The following users liked this post:
kvmentor (03-29-2011)

Quick Reply: ABS light 2001 XK8