XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any chance we could get a separate sub-forum for performance and upgrade mods?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Any chance we could get a separate sub-forum for performance and upgrade mods?

Lately there's been quite a bit of traffic, a lot of it is general fix-it type questions.

There are quite a few threads about performance modifications and upgrades that get lost amongst the shuffle that aren't included in the sticky posts.

It would be nice if these issues had their separate subforum. Then all the nice upgrade, aesthetics and performance mods that are available and done by users here would be easy to find in one spot.

I would be willing to take the time to go through 158 pages of threads and suggest threads, like PM links to a mod so they can move them if they desire, into that subforum.

I think it would also help motivate people to do more projects to improve their vehicles to their liking and make it easier to figure out what improvements have already been done and documented here. There are lots of things that have been done that most people wouldn't think of.

Anyways, just a thought.

The following 8 users liked this post by xenophobe:
Acemaster5 (12-28-2012), Hdpartsman00XKR (12-11-2012), Jag Pilot (11-23-2012), sherbercars (12-05-2012), stelious (11-18-2012), x-biker (11-19-2012), XKCoupe (12-08-2012), XKRacer (12-05-2012) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-18-2012, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by xenophobe
Anyways, just a thought.

Not a bad one, either. Sign me up.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, that would be totally cool to see the mods. +1

Old 11-19-2012, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member

Hmm... thought more people would care. oh well

Old 11-19-2012, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

I do care & it sounds interesting, but I'm still working my way thru the usual fixes first. Do like reading the posts on cosmetics and performance, so would likely switch over there from time to time.

Don't give up yet. Plenty of guys out there looking to make them more personal.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

You know, I scan the XK forums nearly everyday and I for one, LIKE the mixture of "general fix-it" discussions AND the "make your car cooler" performance and upgrades that are all here - in one forum.

My car is not a "hunk-o-junk" - but does require quite a bit of maintenance to keep it in tip top shape. And since my car is ALSO my hobby, I'm no stranger to modification either. I can't tell you how many posts that I have run across that gave me preventative maintenance ideas just a moment before or after I was reading cool performance mod threads - and vice versa.

I prefer to not have to switch threads to be on the receiving end of good advice that I was not specifically seeking at that precise moment.

My vote: Leave it as it is!

Thank You,

Old 12-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

On the other hand max, if you were thinking of doing any mods to your car ( small or large ) would you want to have to trawl through pages and pages of threads to find them whenever you went looking?

Perhaps they could be marked up, but put on the main page until they dropped off it, then subsequently moved to a forum specifically for mods?

Marking them would make them easier to find for anyone prepared to take on the task of moving them later.

Just a thought.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

I like that idea a lot

Old 12-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Banned

XKRacer, i've had to visit your profile several times to find your Paragon website, because after trawling threads, it's been the easiest way to find it.

The idea means a little more maintenance for the moderators, and people should remember that any information the moderators offer, or thread moving they undertake, is entirely at their own discretion.

Hopefully the suggestion will give everybody what they want with the minimum of effort.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member

I always use to have it in my signature for some reason it has disappeared..... Put it back now

Old 12-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Banned
Old 12-05-2012, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

On the subject of mods, what are you up to these days. Do you have anything in the works for us. It has been at least a month since we last talked. With you that is like a lifetime.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

Good idea. Bl

Old 12-06-2012, 02:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
On the subject of mods, what are you up to these days. Do you have anything in the works for us. It has been at least a month since we last talked. With you that is like a lifetime.

Nothing to write home about..... I have been looking at chainging some of my water pipes to aluminium.... polished of course, more of trying to tidy things up.....

Changed my induction set up.... I've been thinking more about the mods to my track car than the road car

Old 12-06-2012, 03:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

I'm not after pouring cold water on this but it has been discussed several times.

We already have:

Jaguar Engines

Wheels and Tyres

Suspension and Handling

Interior

Exterior

Audio/Visual/Electronics

Sections, how many 'other' modification specific sections are necessary, when the ones we do have hardly receive any traffic?

Out of 538 people currently viewing the forum, only 12 including guests are looking at these modification sections.

We also have the 'FAQ/HOW TO' sections that are maintained to include links back to threads of specific interest, so in a sense these threads 'never' drop off the page but are always available to be consulted right at the top of the forums.

Sadly it would seem that most people either miss or ignore them.

Simply scroll down the forum Home page and you will find the Modification sections, or look towards the top of your model specific section and you will find the How To sections.

Please notify us of any thread that is deemed to be worthy of FAQdom and is not already included and we will add it. But you can help us out by checking that it has not already been included.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

Ideally you would have these sub sections per model, not sure what the impact would be on the forum with that. This might be more inviting to post in, then a high level section for all Jaguars.

But I have no outspoken idea on this subject, although I would slightly favor the sub sections per main model.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by avos
I would slightly favor the sub sections per main model.
I would agree with that also, if you had a modification section for all models it would not do as well as a model specific section...

I have no idea how much extra work that would make for the mods?

Old 12-06-2012, 06:50 AM
Banned

I tend to get to the heading that says " Brand Review", and move back up.
It triggers the same kind of reaction in my mind that junk mail does, so i don't read any further.

A case of educating myself as to the actual subject matter in those lower sections would help, and i've started already.

A lot of it may simply be in the title.

I'm sure that a section just titled "XK8/R MODS" would get a greater amount of traffic than all those other sections put together.

Last edited by Roadhogg; 12-06-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Translator
I'm not after pouring cold water on this but it has been discussed several times.

We already have:
One thing you seem to not acknowledge... the XK8/XKR is one of 3 of busiest sub-forums here at JaguarForums.com. There's a lot of redundant traffic here. Much more of the traffic in this sub-forum is redundant and one good mod thread will be buried by tons of repetitive fix-it threads that gets asked every other day.

And like I said before, most of these threads aren't in the stickies.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Like I said, no cold water.

I fully acknowledge just how busy the XK8/XKR section is.

How's about, we Sticky a Modifications thread up at the top and then people can advise us of any threads that are worth including a permanent link to in much the same way as the FAQs are set out.

These threads should not be about repairs or fixes but should be about genuine and sensible modifications, my XK8 on 22" spinners would not be included, whereas my XK8 X Pipe and Nameless Headers could be.

As per the FAQs the thread will remain closed so as to avoid dilution by over 'enthusiastic' posts from folk wondering about Green headlights and petrol injection for flame throwing exhausts!

So, posts would remain in the General XK8 forum as previously but could be recommended for Modification inclusion by the members.

We can give it a go and see where it leads to. If there is not much interest we can always 'merge' it into the FAQ under 'Modifications'.

Hope this helps.

All the best,

Quick Reply: Any chance we could get a separate sub-forum for performance and upgrade mods?