XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any experience with changing rear axle bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 03:43 PM
Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Any experience with changing rear axle bearings?

Hey guys,

Been a while a while since I posted but was hoping to get some insight.

A couple of weeks ago started hearing an intermitent rubbing noise from my drivers side. Only heard it when window was down and it's still winter here so wasn't in a huge hurry. Couldn't tell front or rear just drivers' side.

Had a friend listen and its was coming from the rear. I expect it's the bearing as it happended whether I applied the brakes or not. Sound chaged with speed and yesterday my ABS sensor came on then Trac/Stab as I began to drive. Each time I start the car only the ABS comes on then stab/tac after I drive so I expect the bearing wore enough that it took out the wheel sensor, ouch.

Bearings seem reasonable but $250.00 + for a sensor sems steep. Should have fixed it when I first heard it but what ya gonna do.

Does anyone have any experience with changing the rear bearings?
How involved is it?
I Do have some skills and have done many of my own repairs in the past.

I have to check out the JTIS but thought I'd get some insight here.
Have done my fronts before but no experience with the rears.

Searched and found H2O's post about 5 hours a side from an indy and Brutal said 3 is standard.

Trying to figure out whether to do myself of try a local shop that does some higher end cars.

Someone on ebay was selling used senors for around $50.00 and may go that route instead of new sensor as they seem to last forever. Or try the junk yard guy I got a ABS unit from a number of years back and see what he wants for the sensor.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:14 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Guessing or assuming anything is a very expensive way of troubleshooting Jaguar issues.

The first thing should be to find out exactly where the rubbing noise is coming from and what is causing it.

There's a lot of potential culprits in the rear suspension:

Any experience with changing rear axle bearings?-xk-rear-suspension.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

The 'A' Frame or Monostrut bushes, Shock Absorbers and Halfshafts are far more regular issues than bearings.

Graham

Old 03-10-2014, 10:46 PM
Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Your definately right about that Graham.

Normally don't assume but busy at work and not alot of time for fixing things makes the head foggy.

Pulled it in my shop today removed the rears and thankfully the bearings units were fine. However brake pads prettty low so look likes the rotor warped a little on the driver side and that's my noise.

While I had the back end in the air I greased the half shafts and cleaned the abs sensors (pretty gunked up). Still had the noise on the drive home so getting some new pads and rotors. ABS light gone now and no faults but that is what lead me to believe bearing in the first place.

They really do build these things like tanks, I've got 215K on it and to my knowledge the rear bearings have never been replaced. I can only speak for the last 115K.

Thanks for chiming in.