Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Any experiences with EcoGuard oil filters ? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/any-experiences-ecoguard-oil-filters-217427/)

rothwell 05-06-2019 02:20 PM

Any experiences with EcoGuard oil filters ?

Well I am about to do "my" first oil change on the XK8.

Previously I have always let the Jag dealer do it because it was less than $100 and I was always welcome to poke around under the car while it was up on the lift. Plus it kept me on good terms with the technicians to get help when/if I had questions. Things have changed at the dealer and the price has doubled so I am going to just do it myself from now on.

I plan to use Castrol Edge 5w30 fully synthetic oil. Amazon will deliver me 10 quarts for $46 so that is easy enough.

While I was shopping for oil filters I saw where rock auto was recommending these EcoGuard filters specifically for use with synthetics. I am not an educated oil/filter consumer so I am hoping to get some guidance on the filters. I was planning to use a Motorcraft filter since there is a Ford part number on the Jaguar branded filter anyway. The EcoGuard filters are surprisingly low priced, enough so to make me not buy it because it is too cheap, but I am not sure that is sound logic.

Last I could use a recommendation on a drain pan that will fit under the car without jacking it up. An Amazon link would be appreciated.

Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks!

Jon89 05-06-2019 02:52 PM

Regarding your oil drain catch vessel, I do not believe you will find one thin enough to be able to slide it underneath the engine without jacking the front end of the car up at least 6 inches or so. I do not know how anyone could do an oil & filter change on these cars without jacking up the front end at least that much. I typically raise the entire vehicle at least 18 inches off the ground before I crawl underneath to do my oil & filter changes and tire rotations. I use my Harbor Freight floor jack and four jack stands....

fmertz 05-06-2019 03:21 PM

The other option is a set of ramps. Safe and easy to drive on to. The filter and drain plug are forward, almost by the radiator, so very easy to reach. This works very well for a quick procedure focused on changing the oil. The car can also be backed onto the ramps for servicing the U-joints with grease at the same interval.

Over time, I have acquired a "flat" pan to collect the draining oil. I have also acquired a bigger 5 Gal used oil can from the parts store. This allows me the capture the oil from multiple changes before having to visit the local parts store for recycling. Depending on interval and the number of cars you service, you can go almost a year before recycling.

Oil filters are likely to be an infinite debate, but the Motorcraft sometimes comes up as a direct fit. For oil, I have switched to the Mobil 1 extended interval a while back. Again, oil debates are infinite, not trying to start anything.

EnjoyEverySandwich 05-06-2019 03:36 PM

Actually, not wanting to buy something because it's too cheap IS sound logic! In academic economics, it's called price signaling. Consumers make judgments on the quality of a product based on its price. Obviously the lower a price for something, the higher the demand. But, if it's too low, it can be suspicious, and these things tend not to sell well (even if they're high quality in reality).

I'm no expert on oil filters, though. They're sufficiently cheap enough for me to just buy the factory one (or at least an allegedly "premium" one).

rothwell 05-06-2019 04:25 PM

Another question I forgot to ask is whether I need to replace the drain plug with a new one. I can see that the dealer always did but not sure if it is really necessary.

Truck Graphics 05-06-2019 05:53 PM

My choices (for the two cents it's worth);

Re: Drain plug...never, ever replaced one.

Re oil: I always use the natural stuff for high mileage engines. OMG ! I'm sure the synthetic is better, but I'm a creature of habit.

Re: Oil filter. Name brand, usually on sale with the oil...(Though the brand used in Ferrari's had a problem once upon a time, so I stay away from those. I'm sure they are fine too, however).

As Fmertz noted, changing the oil on an XK8 is super easy because the filter and drain plug are easily accessible after jacking up (my choice because I have the equipment) or ramping up the car.

But here is something to consider.... I recently spent 25 bucks to have my local Indy recycle the used oil (and other noxious fluids) that I collected in my workshop. If the dealer is charging $200 to change your oil, then it is more economical to do it yourself. But I wonder, if you have to pay to get rid of the old oil, might it not be easier and cheaper to let someone else do it for 40 or 50 bucks (as many competent mechanics will)? I wrestle with this question because it is somewhat satisfying to change the oil in an XK8. It's the only mechanical task on the car that doesn't seem to put up a fight !

CorStevens 05-06-2019 07:00 PM

if you drive this car up on ramps, the sump will not drain completely. the car needs to be level or slightly tipped forward. i have a flat open drain pan that allows this. to make it easy, change the filter before draining the oil. if you must use ramps, invest in a jack capable of lifting the entire rear and watch how much additional oil drains out.

rothwell 05-06-2019 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Truck Graphics (Post 2066540)
My choices (for the two cents it's worth);

Re: Drain plug...never, ever replaced one.

Re oil: I always use the natural stuff for high mileage engines. OMG ! I'm sure the synthetic is better, but I'm a creature of habit.

Re: Oil filter. Name brand, usually on sale with the oil...(Though the brand used in Ferrari's had a problem once upon a time, so I stay away from those. I'm sure they are fine too, however).

As Fmertz noted, changing the oil on an XK8 is super easy because the filter and drain plug are easily accessible after jacking up (my choice because I have the equipment) or ramping up the car.

But here is something to consider.... I recently spent 25 bucks to have my local Indy recycle the used oil (and other noxious fluids) that I collected in my workshop. If the dealer is charging $200 to change your oil, then it is more economical to do it yourself. But I wonder, if you have to pay to get rid of the old oil, might it not be easier and cheaper to let someone else do it for 40 or 50 bucks (as many competent mechanics will)? I wrestle with this question because it is somewhat satisfying to change the oil in an XK8. It's the only mechanical task on the car that doesn't seem to put up a fight !

That is precisely why I have never done it before. The cost vs PITA ratio was favorable toward farming out the oil task. Now not so much.

I am pretty sure that the Advanced Auto near me will take the old oil for no fee.

At this point I am leaning toward the Motorcraft FL2021 filter. Not going to replace the drain plug.

Originally Posted by WhiteHat (Post 2066569)
if you drive this car up on ramps, the sump will not drain completely. the car needs to be level or slightly tipped forward. i have a flat open drain pan that allows this. to make it easy, change the filter before draining the oil. if you must use ramps, invest in a jack capable of lifting the entire rear and watch how much additional oil drains out.

I have a good floor jack so its easy enough to lift the car. So I guess I will lift it enough to allow easy access to the drain plug then drop it while it drains.

Why does replacing the filter before draining the oil make it easy? What difficulty am I avoiding there?

zray 05-06-2019 08:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this is a good place to find out about that filter :

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum.../forum_summary

you do know that the OEM Jaguar filter is available on Amazon.

As much as I like Rock auto, I don'r believe there needs to be an oil filter "designed" for synthetic oil. Marketing hogwash, in my humble opinion.

In this part of the country, all the major nationwide car part chain stores, AutoZone, O'Reilly's, etc. will take your used oil, antifreeze, transmission fluid, etc at ZERO charge. They don't even care if you are purchasing the new oil there. Something to check out.

Drain plug ? Normally I never change them, but when I couldn't find an O-ring that fit it right and tight, I did buy a new one. Susequently I bought one of these:
Attachment 225281

and some clear 3/8" tubing. Just remove the safety clip, attach the hose to the drain valve and put the other end in your drain pan, etc. No more drain plug worries.

Z

CorStevens 05-06-2019 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by rothwell (Post 2066585)
Why does replacing the filter before draining the oil make it easy? What difficulty am I avoiding there?

no chance of a big splash into the old oil if it drops into the drain pan

zray 05-06-2019 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteHat (Post 2066613)
no chance of a big splash into the old oil if it drops into the drain pan

^^^^^^^^^ +1

also, when the drain pan is empty, it's easier to move it around to catch the dripping oil from the filter location. The oil enevitably runs along the engine and drips down where you aren't expecting it to drip. If the drain pan is full-ish, the oil wants to slop out while the pan is being moved to catch the oil dribbles.

Wouldn't it be nice if all oil filters attached in a vertical position so you could fill up the new filter completely before installing it.

Z

rothwell 05-06-2019 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by zray (Post 2066605)
this is a good place to find out about that filter :

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum.../forum_summary

you do know that the OEM Jaguar filter is available on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As much as I like Rock auto, I don'r believe there needs to be an oil filter "designed" for synthetic oil. Marketing hogwash, in my humble opinion.

The only interesting thing about the EcoGuard filter is the claim that it filters efficiently down to 5 microns vs 10-20 microns of other filter brands. Whether I would benefit from that granularity is beyond my understanding at this point.

Its interesting that OEM filter EAZ1354 is not considered a fit for my 2004 vin A38840. Jaguar cuts off at A30644 for that filter. Mine is supposed to use C2C41611 and that is what the dealer always installed. Not sure what the difference is but the online oil filter cross reference also does not list them as equivalent. Ford numbers are different too.

Since the Jaguar branded one has the Ford number on it I figure I am safe using the Motorcraft version - and at less than half the price of the Jaguar brand.

I ordered this drain pan/container too.

Since I am still boycotting the "Like" button...Thank You to all who shared their wisdom. It helped for sure. Amazon will bring it all to my doorstep Wednesday. Going to pick up parts somewhere is so last decade...:icon_mrgreen:

Robman25 05-07-2019 04:16 AM

I have just changed my XJR filter using the Ecoguard.
I cut the old filter and a new one to check the medium for differences.
There are differences in both the length and width and thickness.
Trying to transfer a phot but falling at present.
Conclusions;
The length unwound is shorter by about 5”
Depth, from top to bottom is about 5/8” shorter
Media thickness is .09mm against .7mm for the Wix
On this basis I’m quite happy to continue using these filters, probably just shorten the filter change period.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...caae7a79da.jpg

rothwell 06-06-2019 08:12 PM

I wanted to follow up about the choice of filter I made. Took a few pics to show how the Ford filter compared to the Jaguar.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...1cf336e2c3.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...c53e373b92.jpg

The seal was smaller on the Ford but fit just fine.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...29abe4fa8d.jpg

zray 06-07-2019 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by rothwell (Post 2081482)
I wanted to follow up about the choice of filter I made. Took a few pics to show how the Ford filter compared to the Jaguar.

The seal was smaller on the Ford but fit just fine.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/acf-fl2021

I have the Ford 2021 oil filter in my spare parts as an emergency back up. I've read where it does not have an anti-drainback feature ( don't know it that's true, I haven't taken one apart.), which is why I haven't ever installed it.

from the summit description:

Brand:Motorcraft

Manufacturer's Part Number:FL2021

Part Type:Oil Filters

Summit Racing Part Number:ACF-FL2021

Oil Filter Style:Canister

Filter Bypass Relief Valve:No

Anti-Drainback Valve:No

Quantity:Sold individually.

In-Store Pickup:Choose In-store pick-up (OH, NV, GA, TX) on our web site.

Z

rothwell 06-07-2019 10:52 AM

I read conflicting info on that feature for several brands.

Ultimately I went with what rock auto listed for specs.

I haven't noticed any unusual noises or clatter upon startup. If anything it is quieter now that I switched to synthetic.

nalle 06-07-2019 11:08 AM

fmertz, with filter and plug way up front, don't you end up leaving a lot of oil in the sump, with the front end up on ramps??

nalle 06-07-2019 11:47 AM

Rothwell, Since I am 27 higher on my VIN, I guess I will need the same filter. I keep coming up with a 02C2C41611. Is that the same as C2C41611??

rothwell 06-07-2019 11:53 AM

The number 02C2C41611 is what was on my actual part. See above pic.

The number C2C41611 is what was listed on my receipt from Jaguar dealer.

nalle 06-07-2019 12:06 PM

Zray, I like the Fumoto drain plug idea. Do you know the drain thread size off hand??