XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any suggestions of exhaust upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts
Default Any suggestions of exhaust upgrades?

Today, on a whim, I decided to drop my 2002 XK8 off at my muffler shop and had the center resonator? Removed and replaced with straight pipes. Made a HUGE difference.
But I want a little deeper richer growl. He suggested I remove the front two mufflers, and replace the rear with flowmasters. Is a pretty inexpensive option but I'm not familiar with this area of mods, I only know what I like when I hear it. My XF has a SUHWEEET growl.
Anyone have an inexpensive suggestion for getting a deeper growl?

Old 11-05-2013, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Fresh off page 2 for your reading/listening enjoyment! https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-video-104393/

The following users liked this post:
philhef (11-06-2013)
Old 11-05-2013, 10:36 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts

I spent some time exploring this. Best for the buck is the rear muffler delete option from Mina or Adamesh. Best overall is MacLeod but it's pricey. It's what I ended up with, it is in my Mod project string.

The following 2 users liked this post by enderle:
JgaXkr (11-06-2013), philhef (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member

So my question now is if its better to remove the rear mufflers or front mufflers. I too am doing this is stages and if I get the sound simply by removing parts, then I'll stop. My muffler shop said he almost took the two small front mufflers off. But now I'm wondering if the rear mufflers may be better to start with.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bad Cattitude
Fresh off page 2 for your reading/listening enjoyment! https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-video-104393/
Sounds AWESOME!!!!!

Old 11-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 421 Posts

Phil- can you post a video? I am thinking of doing the center muffler delete and want to know how it sounds. Also, what did they charge you for it?

Old 11-07-2013, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dsnyder586
Phil- can you post a video? I am thinking of doing the center muffler delete and want to know how it sounds. Also, what did they charge you for it?
I'll do that. It's in the shop getting the sealed for death trans fluid changed.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

I'm going to sound crotchety here, but...

I'm confused as to why a thread on this topic is started anew about every 2 - 3 weeks. There is a lot of GREAT information already posted on this forum about exhaust upgrades, parts, sound clips, everything one could hope to find.

Starting new threads on common topics without first using the search function just makes it harder for future members to find good information. For instance, a search on the XK8/XKR forum this morning for the words "exhaust" and "upgrade" brings 117 different threads. Isn't that enough?

Rant over. Good luck with your project...I'll be doing the same in about six months.

Last edited by The Coupe; 11-07-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by The Coupe
I'm going to sound crotchety here, but...

I'm confused as to why a thread on this topic is started anew about every 2 - 3 weeks. There is a lot of GREAT information already posted on this forum about exhaust upgrades, parts, sounds clips, everything one could hope to find.

Starting new threads on common topics without first using the search function just makes it harder for future members to find good information. For instance, a search on the XK8/XKR forum this morning for the words "exhaust" and "upgrade" brings 117 different threads. Isn't that enough?

Rant over. Good luck with your project...I'll be doing the same in about six months.

Actually I did search and couldn't find exactly what I wanted. I simply wanted to find out if removing the front or the rear mufflers made a different sound. I really wasn't wanting to add mufflers if not necessary and all of the threads had far too many upgrades for my simple fix I was looking for.
And there are a lot of new members that may have experimented with the option I am looking for and haven't posted their results yet. I've also used older posts to source info, but rarely get responses from those old posts as most of those people have moved on to other things and obviously don't have the time to answer questions on that topic anymore.
And finally, when I search threads, I tend to have to weed through a lot of unrelated threads and on my iPhone, it's difficult to navigate quickly.
Sorry if my thread got in the way so I'll try to do my homework before posting.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:37 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Originally Posted by philhef
Actually I did search and couldn't find exactly what I wanted.
Why am I not surprised to hear this?

Old 11-07-2013, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Norri
Why am I not surprised to hear this?
Maybe because I've been told by my painter, mechanic, audio shop, and trim shop that I am the most pain in the bum picky customer they've ever had!!
But to my credit, they say I have one of, if not the most perfectly modified and maintained cars they get to work on!! Of course I'm sure their wallets like seeing me driving up.
Not to say I don't do some really bad things while getting it right!! (As most of you have seen!)

Old 11-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by philhef
Actually I did search and couldn't find exactly what I wanted...
Just FYI (especially to those new to the forum), you will get very mixed and often confusing results using only the forum search engine. I always use google with the question or topic I need plus "jaguar forums" added. This is a much better search technique and brings back more focused results.

A typical google search would be, "coolant leak jaguar forums". The first 5 results categories in this search are specific to this forum. Of course you could add XK8 to dial it down even more granular, but many times the XJ lads have some good info that works for our cars as well.

Norri (11-07-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 08:42 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Exhausting

Hi All,
I know this has been discussed to death but just wanted to share my 2 cents worth. I removed the large center muffler and the two small pre over the axel mufflers. The cat purrs now! The only negative is at real high RPM it has a slight crackle. No, droan though. Maybe baffeled exhaust tips would fix it. I however do have a question: I have read comments that installing an H-Pipe can increase low end torque. Anybody try it? Is it enough to feel?
Thanks

Old 11-08-2013, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mike Graham
Hi All,
I know this has been discussed to death but just wanted to share my 2 cents worth. I removed the large center muffler and the two small pre over the axel mufflers. The cat purrs now! The only negative is at real high RPM it has a slight crackle. No, droan though. Maybe baffeled exhaust tips would fix it. I however do have a question: I have read comments that installing an H-Pipe can increase low end torque. Anybody try it? Is it enough to feel?
Thanks
First, I've been told an x pipe is better than an H pipe. Just did the same thing and still playing with it.
Second, yes it's been discussed to death and the the "unnecessary post police" may give you a citation. I got one for posting the same questions!! Lol

Old 11-08-2013, 09:05 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

No citations Phil but let's just answer the same questions in one thread makes life so much easier for everyone.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:07 AM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

Ive spoken to Arden on this issue.

The 4.0 is a small displacement, but high compression, DOHC engine, that has great mid-range punch.

The problem with our power, is the exhaust pipes that go over the axle, cringe flat to almost, an inch or so choking the cat, and

2.The intake air duct that goes from air-box to fender, is extremely restrictive.
A k and N air filter ain't going to fix that.This will require your fender's existing hole to be enlarged to the new 90degree elbow, you would run there.
The airbox can be enlarged, simply by cuttin or heating the tube up and letting it burn itself in.Then RTV seal.

3.Then install your K and N filter.

Yes this is a proven solid 20+HP and 13lb torque gain, you notice immediately, for less that a few hundred bucks, depending on your exhaust shop labor guides.

Gregfromuk (11-08-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Exhaust Upgrades

There are a lot of good upgrade systems out there but one option you should consider a lot is whether to remove the crossover muffler or not. Yes is does help increase power but removing it increases cabin noise a lot. If that's not a problem go for it. I found removing the second muffler and changing the third gave me the extra power and sound I liked without increasing cabin sound. Good Luck!