XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone install lowering springs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 02:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone install lowering springs?

I just got a set of H&R's, and I'm wondering if the installation is straightforward, or if any supension arms have to be unbolted. thanks!

Old 08-08-2007, 03:09 PM
Default RE: Anyone install lowering springs?

Update on my spring install.
I've done the fronts so far.
You have to unbolt the upper A-arm to remove the spring/strut assembly from the car.

Here's the steps I did for the front.
1.jack up car and open hood.
2. remove wheel.
3. unbolt strut from strut tower (3-bolts)
4. unbolt strut from lower A-arm.
5. unbolt sway bar end link. (for clearance)
6. unbolt large bolt holding upper A-arm to subframe.
7. move A-arm out of the way and remove spring/strut assembly.
8. put spring compressors on spring, loosen top nut on strut with an impact gun.
9. remove top spring perch and oem spring.
10. put spring compressor on new spring, compress, and put on strut.

Installation is reverse of disassembly.

Hope this helps anyone who actually works on their own baby.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Why would you want to lower an XK? They already sit pretty damn low. What are you looking to accomplish? Monthly trips to the body shop?

Old 08-08-2007, 06:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Jack Rabbit

Why would you want to lower an XK? They already sit pretty damn low. What are you looking to accomplish? Monthly trips to the body shop?
Hmm. Maybe a car worthy of SEMA?
(Which is a possibility)
I went to school for car design. Of course I'm going to always want to improve on what the factory offered.
The XK already sits low, but I'd still like to eliminate any wheel gap, and lower the center of gravity.
I plan on putting aero on it too, does that make me stupid?
Trust me, I know what I'm doing.
Here's my other car, I've daily driven it a year at this ride height without any problems. The only time it's had to go to the body shop is due to hitting barriers at the track during drift competitions.
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...eforeevent.jpg
Lowered cars are perfectly liveable if you know how to drive them.
I find it incredible how closed-minded most members of this forum are in regards to modifying Jaguars. I guess that Jags are no longer bought by enthusiasts?

Old 08-09-2007, 01:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yurikaze when you installed your lowering springs was it hard?how long did it take and did you have to put aftermarket shocks?you should post pics of the xk

Old 08-09-2007, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

Yuri, you must be crazy to drift in the s13.4! I should ban you from the site! Just kidding! I've thought of lowering the S, but I think that comfort is vital for a family car, and my wife drives the car too, so no lowering for her! Did I mention you must be CRAZY to drift that car! It's beautiful, and the camber on it is crazy! What specs are your rear wheels? I liked the old rims better, but either way...PROTECT THEM! Get some wider tires man. Those rims are ASKING for curb rash!

Old 08-09-2007, 11:15 AM

Hey, I don't care what anybody does with their car. Paint flames on the hood and stick bobble heads all over the dash if that's your style. I just don'tunderstand the pointof lowering a car that is already low. Then again, I don't like the looks of lowered cars anyway. Looks goofy to me.

Now performance upgrades are another thing. If it makes it go faster and sound cooler, I'm all for it!

Old 08-09-2007, 12:28 PM
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a question. If i were to put lowering springs on my xkr. what would that do to my electronic shocks?

Also, i have a lead on some custom made exhaust and intake from a custom turbo shop that is about 10 miles north of ware i live. They have a mandrel bend machine, and they say they can make headers for the xkr. That sound interesting but difficult considering how little room there is in there. They can also make a polished aluminum intake tube from the TB to the MAF sensor. “YAY no more intake mufflersâ€. And they can make me a custom inter cooler and exhaust system from the engine to the rear tires.
Would any of you, be interested in the intake or the headers if they can make it?
It may be a bit before i have it done do to money. “im not richâ€
http://www.extremeturbosystems.com/

Old 08-10-2007, 03:59 AM

2000xkr r u the 1 on the other post saying xkr at the drag strip. i didrent know xkrs ran low 13s stock Id be interested in the headers if they fit my 4.2l v8 i know yours is 4.0 and if they fit then i want them since nobody makes headers for current jaguars and as for the intake do you have any idea why when i put my jaguarxp intake on my check engine light comes on and it says restricted performance so i take it off and put the stock system back on and the lights go away.I also am not rich so i have to save my money for upgrades it's cool to see someone else that like modding their jaguar.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:42 AM

ORIGINAL: v8stype

yurikaze when you installed your lowering springs was it hard?how long did it take and did you have to put aftermarket shocks?you should post pics of the xk
Honestly, it was difficult at first, but once you do the first front corner, the other one is much easier.
With proper tools, you can do the front after work, and have it driveable for the morning commute, but I'd recommend leaving it for a weekend project. I'll provide more write-up when I do the rears, it looks like we'll have to drop the rear lower control arms. Although you get a sense of accomplishment doing this installation, I'd recommend trying to find a shop that would install them for you.

ORIGINAL: bigdreams05

Yuri, you must be crazy to drift in the s13.4! I should ban you from the site! Just kidding! I've thought of lowering the S, but I think that comfort is vital for a family car, and my wife drives the car too, so no lowering for her! Did I mention you must be CRAZY to drift that car! It's beautiful, and the camber on it is crazy! What specs are your rear wheels? I liked the old rims better, but either way...PROTECT THEM! Get some wider tires man. Those rims are ASKING for curb rash!
Thanks!
The rears are 18x11 +5. As for wider tires, those are as wide as I can fit before they hit fender.
I'm running about -3 degrees of camber all the way around.
I'm not to worried about curb rash, as I bought the wheels used with some scrapes included.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:32 PM
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

v8stype yes that was me at the drags. i have not done a single thing to the car and it ran 13.4 at 104mpg all night long.

also the intake shouldn't give you any issues like that. i have not put one of there intakes on my car because i am going to have my intake custom done from the TB to the filter. from what i can see on there web site it looks like the stock tube on there kit with a after market filter on the end. is this true?
also as far as i can tell there is only one sensor that needs to be unplugged and that is the MAF sensor. if this sensor maybe has a short in it or something of that nature, that is the only reason i can think of it not working.

as soon as i have a price on the intake,exhaust, and headers if they can do it ill let y'all know.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:56 PM

ok thanks alot

Old 03-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Banned
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I would like to lower my XKR but Im not sure which method to use.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Miami XKR

I am with "jagxkrtoofast",

What are the best lowering springs you can get for the XKR's?

Old 03-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

2000blackxkr:
Did you ever get the headers made?