Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Arm Rest Rebuild (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/arm-rest-rebuild-101174/)

enderle 08-23-2013 03:46 PM

Arm Rest Rebuild

12 Attachment(s)
One of the things I truly hate about our XKR is the arm rest cup holders so I've been working on a complete redesign and finally got it done. Found some Billet cup holders at a hot rod fabrication shop, picked up a European arm rest with no cup holders and a magnetic latch and then sent it all to my upholstery shop. The result turned out rather nicely. (I'd relocated one of the switch sets from the dash to the center glove box to install a double DIN stereo some time ago but also had powered USB plugs put in for charging).

enderle 08-23-2013 03:53 PM

Source for cup holder

Here is the source for the cup holder. They come in silver but did powder coating for me. Replacement Billet Beverage Holder for Pontiac Solstice, Saturn Sky and Opel. | Santanainteriors.com

philhef 08-23-2013 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by enderle (Post 797407)
Here is the source for the cup holder. They come in silver but did powder coating for me. Replacement Billet Beverage Holder for Pontiac Solstice, Saturn Sky and Opel. | Santanainteriors.com

Good god man, you're as bad as me!!! We can't stop!!
I just put some amber led strips in my floor board under the dash. Only three chips, just enough to give a soft glow.
Seats being done in chocolate alcantara in two weeks.
Very cool cup holders.

Jeff in Tucson 08-23-2013 05:07 PM

That is WAY cool!

mjlaris 08-23-2013 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by enderle (Post 797406)
One of the things I truly hate about our XKR is the arm rest cup holders so I've been working on a complete redesign and finally got it done. Found some Billet cup holders at a hot rod fabrication shop, picked up a European arm rest with no cup holders and a magnetic latch and then sent it all to my upholstery shop. The result turned out rather nicely. (I'd relocated one of the switch sets from the dash to the center glove box to install a double DIN stereo some time ago but also had powered USB plugs put in for charging).

This has been one of biggest pet peeves since I boght my XKR and this seems like the perfect solution. Where did you buy the European arm rest?

Mark

enderle 08-23-2013 11:22 PM

e-bay

Originally Posted by mjlaris (Post 797547)
This has been one of biggest pet peeves since I boght my XKR and this seems like the perfect solution. Where did you buy the European arm rest?

Mark

I just searched on e-bay, they show up relatively regularly.

The Coupe 08-24-2013 08:46 AM

Nicely done, Rob.

Bad Cattitude 08-24-2013 10:37 AM

You should sell these turn-key...

mjlaris 12-09-2013 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by enderle (Post 797406)

Rob, now that you've had this new armrest and cup holders for a few months, can you tell me how well they work in practice? Do they work better than the original? Will the hold a large drink? I am considering doing this mod and would like your input before I proceed. Thanks,

Mark

hardmat 12-09-2013 09:30 AM

Are these cup holders retractable into the armrest or are the always exposed?
Also interested about their durability
thanks
Tim

Jag#4 12-09-2013 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by hardmat (Post 870055)
Are these cup holders retractable into the armrest or are the always exposed?
Also interested about their durability
thanks
Tim

Check the pictures on the first post. They close into the lid.

The better question (OK for me), is how do they mount on the lid and clear the inside bits?

enderle 12-10-2013 11:00 AM

cup holders

As noted they retract into the armrest, the armrest was custom made so it has the room for the cup holders to retract. They used an armrest I bought off eBay for the core hardware but everything from the plastic base up was built special. The cup holders are perfect for a soda can or a Starbucks cup but won't hold a large soda or most of the travel mugs I have. The guy that built it told me he has one coming that will hold these larger cups that should retrofit but he hasn't finished it yet (or told me he has finished it).