Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Aww Crap! Rodent Invasion (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/aww-crap-rodent-invasion-115419/)

HappySailor 04-08-2014 02:23 PM

Aww Crap! Rodent Invasion

4 Attachment(s)
Soooo...

I have my '99 XK8 apart at the heads(link here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...41/)

I went away for a week to deal with a boat.... :icon_boat:before I left, I carefully covered the engine with a shipping blanket to keep the dust down...

Well... All I apparently really did was create a nice cozy rodent home on top of the block... Not sure if it's a squirrel, chipmunk, or field mouse... All are prevalent here...

When I was a pup, I was a tech at a dealership, and I saw NIGHTMARE cars that never were the same after rodent damage to main harnesses... Fortunately I don't see any wire damage...

Does anybody have any ideas short of a cat to keep the space under my bonnet free of furry critters???

Thanks!

Yes... that is an actual doooooo doooooo in cylinder #2... At least the guy had a sense of humor!:icon_gunhead:

Kevin D 04-08-2014 02:26 PM

Mothballs and mouse or rat traps

01Silverstone 04-08-2014 04:35 PM

I've heard dryer sheets work well to keep critters away; I stuff them all around my cars before storing them for the winter. I also put steel wool in the tailpipes and any other nooks/crannies. Never had a rodent issue, and there's lots of them around where I live.

RCSign 04-08-2014 05:09 PM

I've used Cab rodent repellent very pleasant smell that doesn't linger after you use it. just set them in and around the vehicle. Just click on robot check?

Kevin D 04-08-2014 05:15 PM

How to Keep Mice, Rats & Other Rodents Out of Your Car Engine | eHow

GGG 04-08-2014 05:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by HappySailor (Post 950278)
........ that is an actual doooooo doooooo in cylinder #2... At least the guy had a sense of humor!:icon_gunhead:

Clearly he did - he even sprayed his tag. :icon_lol:

Attachment 79567

Graham

Kevin D 04-08-2014 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by GGG (Post 950356)

Attachment 79567

Graham

And, good penmanship!

aode06 04-08-2014 07:49 PM

I have a post going on now in this forum on replacing those valley hoses your looking at, in your engine valley.

The Jaguar mechanic WARNED ME rodents often live there and carry diseases that have injured mechanics including hand and arm amputations working in that area doing the valley or octopus hose assembly, via urine,fecal matter and or microscopic parasites and fungus you cant see.

THE MECHANIC WITH THE ARM AMPUTATION CAUGHT A FLESH EATING BACTERIAL INFECTION FROM THE VALLEY, that was mistaken for a bruise and was only taking pain medicine, until the fungus got out of control.

With that knowledge, your best thing to do at this point is toss that blanket, and disinfect everything right now NOT JOKING
PLEASE READ THIS LINK
http://siouxcityjournal.com/lifestyl...3ab0d708e.html

HappySailor 04-09-2014 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by 01Silverstone (Post 950330)
I've heard dryer sheets work well to keep critters away; I stuff them all around my cars before storing them for the winter. I also put steel wool in the tailpipes and any other nooks/crannies. Never had a rodent issue, and there's lots of them around where I live.

Originally Posted by RCSign (Post 950343)
I've used Cab rodent repellent very pleasant smell that doesn't linger after you use it. just set them in and around the vehicle. Just click on robot check?
Robot Check

This stuff looks GREAT from the reviews... THANK YOU!

2 good suggestions Kevin... Thanks!

Originally Posted by GGG (Post 950356)

Attachment 79567

Graham

Dang... Now that IS FUNNY!!!
(rat b*st*ard):icon_gunhead:

Originally Posted by Kevin D (Post 950384)
And, good penmanship!

Yea... I'm not really sure what happened there... Quite unusual for me, so much so that I even commented to myself that somebody else must have labeled the domes!:icon_confused:

HappySailor 04-09-2014 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by aode06 (Post 950422)
I have a post going on now in this forum on replacing those valley hoses your looking at, in your engine valley.

The Jaguar mechanic WARNED ME rodents often live there and carry diseases that have injured mechanics including hand and arm amputations working in that area doing the valley or octopus hose assembly, via urine,fecal matter and or microscopic parasites and fungus you cant see.

THE MECHANIC WITH THE ARM AMPUTATION CAUGHT A FLESH EATING BACTERIAL INFECTION FROM THE VALLEY, that was mistaken for a bruise and was only taking pain medicine, until the fungus got out of control.

With that knowledge, your best thing to do at this point is toss that blanket, and disinfect everything right now NOT JOKING
PLEASE READ THIS LINK
STARTING OVER: 'Flesh-eating' bacterium claims woman's arm, not her spirit

I've lived in So. Ca my whole life, so things like co-existing with critters are somewhat new to me...

Thanks for the valuable information and the warning I will take very seriously! :icon_boat:

Rey 04-09-2014 10:49 AM

Lowes sells a rodent (rat) repeller called "Victor PestChaser Pro", which probably can be bought online at Mouse Traps, Electronic Mouse & Rat Traps, Effective Rodenticides & Poisons, Ultrasonic Rodent Repellents - VictorŽ Pest Control Products for Sale Online for about $30. It is a 110vt electronic rodent repellant which imitates the war cry of a male rodent - so I'm told.
It is intended for indoor usage, but is small enough to fit under the hood.
I haven't tried it so cannot endorse it personally.