Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Back on the Road - New Differential (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/back-road-new-differential-173455/)

Johnken 12-05-2016 08:29 PM

Back on the Road - New Differential

A couple of weeks ago many of you helped me as I worked through diagnosing the issue, finding a rear differential, and discussing service opportunities for a dropped rear.

What happened? In a nut shell I was gently accelerating from a stop to merge when the car seemed to bog down. Then BANG! it was like I drove over a log. This was the issue, every few feet = a bang, as I said earlier, watching this from the outside passenger side, it was like something whacked the rear wheel from the rear when the bang occured. I could see it move forward when this happened.

Well it turned out to be a bad differential. A study of this on the WWW showed it could take from 4 hours to 8+ hours to replace. I had it towed to my mechanic in Flemington, NJ.

I always like to close the loop by sharing how much these jobs cost for your future reference. I was quoted: $700 for a differential, up to 8 hours of labor.

Flemington Foriegn Cars here in New Jersey spent a good bit of time getting the old defective one out and finding a replacement that they will warranty. They received a rear that had a different flange on it than one that would match our XK8's. It had to go back and be exchanged, delaying the job. Then they ran into a hell of a time getting one bolt out. Looks like they had to destroy it and replace it to finish the job. In fact I will follow up with the part number as an FYI, it cost well over a hundred dollars to get a replacement bolt - you should know about this so I'll post the part #.

I was concerned, they put over 16 hours into the job. The good news is I got her back today. I am happy to say they stood by their quote, they are honest people, I only paid for 8 hours. Sstill by the time you add tax and that bolt, it was a $2.000 job.

Yes, I drove an old Ford Bronco for nearly 3 weeks, so I admit getting back into an XK8 is a night and day difference, but besides that somehow the ride has changed for the better. For some reason before this failed, I was spinning the rear right tire all the time with even the slightest turn when under power. Of course ASC kicked in but this happened so often I verified the tread, all was the same on both sides. By elimination it must have been related to the failing rear end. No unusual slip now at all.

I don't know if it is related, but the ride seems tighter, more "together" than before (yeah, what scientific terms right?). Yes I know the placeboo effect is wonderful but gosh I'd swear things have changed for the better. I can't explain it but so what I'm driving with a big smile now.

Thanks again for all the help and coaching when this happened. John

motorcarman 12-05-2016 08:37 PM

The XJ diff can be made to work with a new companion flange and CUT THE PINION SHAFT EXTENSION.

I have done it but I can understand the reluctance to modify unknown parts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No warranty is a scary one way street when you modify parts.

Glad to hear about a final outcome.

bob

fmertz 12-06-2016 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Johnken (Post 1580749)
Well it turned out to be a bad differential.

Out of curiosity, have you asked for the old diff back? Might be an interesting post-mortem disassembly and a great opportunity for free education. Maybe even a few good pictures in it for us, too.

Glad to hear it all worked out for you, thanks for the update.

Jon89 12-06-2016 09:05 AM

Congrats on the repair. Your chosen shop truly values its customers, no doubt about it. Keep us posted on your experiences with the new differential....

Johnken 12-06-2016 10:10 AM

Fmertz no I let it go. I wonder how much it weighs. Normally I just assume the mechanic had to return it as core charge, but when I think about it, no one's going to have the parts to rebuild it anyway, will they.

michaelh 12-06-2016 03:14 PM

John,
Thanks for posting the outcome & good to hear you're back on the road.

M

Johnken 12-08-2016 09:07 PM

As promised, here's the bolt to watch out for:

MMB2860AA

It cost me $168!

Looks like I paid for a nut too. Just in case it is for the aforementioned bolt, that part number is JFX214051, It only costs $10.05.

Who knows, maybe someday down the road someone else will run into a differential replacement. Just wanted them to be prepared for this little surprise :).

John