Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Battery Discharging Rapidly 97 X100 (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/battery-discharging-rapidly-97-x100-214676/)

Mike Lore 03-05-2019 08:11 PM

Battery Discharging Rapidly 97 X100

Need help,something is draining my battery. It wont drain while parked checked voltage after sitting all night drops down to 9 while driving then creeps up and then down so I know its charging,checked starter connections. Bought new ground strap polished ground connections,checked everything in the trunk. Battery tested it's fine. All fuses checked. Also when battery is charged the car starts slowly then you do it again it starts fine. I've looked through the forums nothing quite like this. I've never seen a car drain a battery this fast.And my OBD port quit communicating so no codes. Any help you could give me would be much appreciated.

oldmots 03-05-2019 09:29 PM

Put a VOM between the pos cable and the pos batt terminal, set it to amps. Check reading. If its over about 50 milliamps, you have a high drain. Start pulling fuses one by one until the drain stops, that is the circuit to check.

fmertz 03-06-2019 07:45 AM

The "usual" problem is the little trap door in the ignition key hole. If it stays stuck open, the car thinks the key is still ignition and does not shut down. You need to lubricate this trap door to make sure it closes every time. Resist the urge to use graphite as it can stain the key and then your pants pockets. A silicone spray might be a good start. To my knowledge, this leads to a slow drain, it may not be enough to explain the faster drain you are describing. Unless the battery is old and a small drain quickly kills whatever margin you have left.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Mike Lore 03-12-2019 07:48 PM

Thanks again for the information it helped a lot. It was the alternator to starter wire. I missed it the first time I checked.

MikeTracey 02-13-2022 03:21 AM

Hi Mike, I have the same problem, I'm drawing 5.2amps and a battery lasts only a few days before its drained. Did you fix your issue?

Pistnbroke 02-13-2022 03:17 PM

you say " . It was the alternator to starter wire. " but what do you mean...after 40 years as an auto electrician that statement is meaningless ...I know the alternator output "B" is connected to the starter and hence to the battery but we need more explanation.

JayJagJay 02-14-2022 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by MikeTracey (Post 2496105)
Hi Mike, I have the same problem, I'm drawing 5.2amps and a battery lasts only a few days before its drained. Did you fix your issue?

Your going to have to go digging. You might not get as lucky as the guy above (the OP) who found a loose or corroded major cable at the starter. Ya MIGHT, but maybe not...

....I'm interested to know what ya find when ya find it...

JayJagJay 02-14-2022 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by MikeTracey (Post 2496105)

Maybe consider starting a new thread as well. More folks will jump in... Jus say'n

MikeTracey 02-17-2022 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by JayJagJay (Post 2496569)
Your going to have to go digging. You might not get as lucky as the guy above (the OP) who found a loose or corroded major cable at the starter. Ya MIGHT, but maybe not...

Watch this video and check back....I'm interested to know what ya find when ya find it...

Thanks JJ, will let you know, sounds like a few people with the same sort of issue. Rgds Mike