Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Battery Opinions (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/battery-opinions-167692/)

SeismicGuy 08-16-2016 04:27 PM

Battery Opinions

I think I had the original battery replaced 5 or 6 years ago by the dealer and I think it is a Bosch. About once every month or so I hook up the CTEK charger to keep it in shape but I figure from this point onward I am on "borrowed time". In particular the weird thing that has been happening a few times lately is that the radio station will be different upon starting the car compared with when I turn off the car. It is always one of my selected presets but the "band" changes (i.e., if I shut down listening to an AM station it might start up with an FM station, and vice versa).

I know that any weird electrical things with these cars can often be traced to batteries getting weak so I am starting to consider replacements. The Bosch has worked out well so far so I am inclined to go with another. Does anyone have other good experiences with Bosch or others?

Thanks,

Doug

test point 08-16-2016 05:49 PM

There are many more brands that manufacturers. Interstate claims to be the number 1 battery in the US. Johnson Controls manufacturers about a dozen well known brands.

I have had the best results with the sealed glass mat (AGM) technology. An OEM Miata battery lasted 17 years and was changed more for 'signs' of age that actual failure. The signs may have been the result of only driving the car a couple thousand miles a year.

I would suspect that a Bosch branded battery isn't manufactured in a building owned and managed by the Bosch Corp

Ah ha! found it. Bosch batteries are manufactured by ABI Malaysia Sdn Bnd (formerly known as Automotive Battery Industries Sdn. Bhd.), (Malaysia)

StuG 08-16-2016 06:00 PM

Hi Doug,

Wow! Battery opinions are in the same category as oil, tires, wax & polish, etc...etc. You're going to get a lot of different opinions.

I would say that the 5-6 years you got out of the Bosch is pretty good.

Cheers,

Stu

verdeo 08-16-2016 07:55 PM

My 2004 XKR still has the original battery going strong. Although it does have low miles and has been connected to a Ctec minder regularly, I'm told.

Reading posts such as this make me nervous and itchy to buy a new one, but I may persevere to see how far it goes.

Jon89 08-17-2016 09:07 AM

I replaced the original battery in my wife's 2006 XK8 in September 2012 with a Bosch bought on sale at Pep Boys for about $95. I check the cells three to four times per year and add water as needed. No battery issues thus far with this Bosch....

Battery prices have increased quite a bit since then. Be prepared for that regardless of what you decide to buy or where you decide to buy it....

reb1999 08-17-2016 09:14 AM

Funny you mention adding water. I've never had a vehicle ( many, many ) ever needing to add water. I should correct that to a " Sealed? " battery. My xk8 I do check often and add when needed. These vehicles do require a good deal of juice to keep them going. Rich

plums 08-17-2016 09:35 AM

Walmart has the correct vented battery in the correct size. Costco does not.
Made by Johnson Controls apparently.

I like East Penn/Deka batteries, and they have the correct size/venting
arrangement. Carquest brand is the same as well as Diehard and one
of the big parts chains ... which one I forget.

As always check the warranty terms. The Walmart would have been a
better choice for me.

SeismicGuy 08-17-2016 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by StuG (Post 1517495)
Hi Doug,

Wow! Battery opinions are in the same category as oil, tires, wax & polish, etc...etc. You're going to get a lot of different opinions.

I would say that the 5-6 years you got out of the Bosch is pretty good.

Cheers,

Stu

I know--kind of like asking what is the best car color! But I figured I would find out any ones to definitely avoid and which ones to consider.

Jon89/Reb1999--that water adding issue is interesting. Back in the "old" days (when you would get sufficient warning that a battery was going and you could always coax just one more start) adding water to the cells was one of the usual maintenance chores--like checking tire pressure and radiator coolant. I even did this for a few more recent model cars with so-called sealed batteries--the kind where you had to sort of pry off the plastic cover piece. Not only would I check the level but I had a hydrometer where I would check the charge in each cell. With my last couple of cars I have completely stopped trying to check fluid level but I do hook up a CTEK every month or so--not sure if this helps or not.

Doug

Jon89 08-17-2016 12:27 PM

I have found that even with so-called "sealed" batteries, I still have to add water to all four of our vehicles' batteries during our hot summer months. Not so much during our winter months. I believe that topping off the water level in the cells at least occasionally significantly increases the lifespan of the battery regardless of who made it....