XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I get some help with a 1999 XK8 "Convertible top not latched" issue.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:58 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Can I get some help with a 1999 XK8 "Convertible top not latched" issue.

Hi there, I am hoping I can get some step-by-step advice on a XK8 convertible top issue:

CAUSE
In the process of getting some new tires, the tire shop wanted to open the top before putting it on the lift - saying they have seen tops pull when put on a lift. Odd, but ok I can understand the logic... So, I told them how to do it and they opened it only part way. They did their work and closed the top, but without having opened it all the way. So when they closed it, I doubt the latch's hook by the windshield frame was out to lock the top down.

THE ISSUE
Currently, there is:
(1) a 1/4-1/2" gap between the windshield frame and the convertible top
(2) a dash warning: "Convertible not latched".
(3) the rear side windows are stuck open.
(4) the top doesn't respond to open or close button commands.

SOLUTION?
Unfortunately, I do not have a manual to know what to try next or how to do it, step-by-step. I did try a tip I found here of holding the "windows up" button for 5 seconds then trying the top open/close switch (with then engine running/truck & doors closed). That did nothing.

I am imagine that if I can get the latch's hook at the top of the windshield frame to open and get it to hook the top and close completely, the system will be reset. Am I right in thinking this? if so, how can I accomplish that? If that will not resolve the issue, what can I do?

Thanks for any step by step guidance you can give me

Old 06-09-2015, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

It has happened to me. Try this:

1) Try to close the top manually.
1a] go to conv top pump, open the stocp **** or whatever its called all the way. This alows the fluid to move without the motor running.
1b] take the allen wrench fastened to the conv top pump fixture into the cabin.
1c] Use a standard scewdriver to pry the access hole plug off, see just under the top latch assembly at top of window.
1d] Using the allen wrench (it takes a but of muscle this is normal) open the receiving latch all the way, if it is not yet open.
1e] Move roof down into latch jaws. Go inside car and using the tool, completely fasten the roof down (closed position)
Retighten the valve on the conv pump motor. Close windows using the button. If they don't close, cycle the roof all the way open, all the way closed with the button to synch everything.

2) I once had a situation where I had to manually move the roof all the way open to reset the function. It is done without accessing the latch with allen wrench. Just open the stop **** and close the roof with your manual labor. Re tighten the stop **** and try it all via normal buttons.

Good luck.

John

The following users liked this post:
99xk8guy (06-09-2015)
Old 06-09-2015, 12:17 PM
Default Thank you, John. A few questions for clarification

John, thank you so much for your reply. This is awesome advice and I am sure a lot of people will be helped by it in the future too. I have a few questions to clarify things before I give this a try (anyone can reply):

(1) ABOUT OPENING THE PETCOCK (your 1a):
http://www.gusglikas.com/images/Auto...2w%5B1%5D2.gif
Does that mean turning the brass "t" in this image counter clockwise to open it ?

(2) ABOUT THE LATCH ACCESS POINT (your 1c):
I am guessing the access point for manual operation is that 1/4" circle with a matching colored piece cover that is between the 2 map lights and in front of the 3 darker grey buttons? (I dont have a manual to show me)

(3) Should any of this be done with the engine running so the windows are powered to go back up? From reading it appears that the windows go up not becasue the main latch is hooked and closed but becasue the 2 latches to each side of the main latch get connected when the main latch locks.

(4) So once the roof is manually closed, and the petcock re-closed, the roof open/closed button worked for you (with the engine running I imagine)?

It is raining here, so I am going to have to wait until tomorrow in case the roof stays open! thank you SO much for the step-by-step. If anyone has any notes or advice to add, please do. I will report back with the results as soon as weather permits.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

Hi glad to help:

1 Yes the brass T

2 Yes that's the plug. I was surprised how hard it is to get it out without a tool.

3 It woulld work either way. I would probably start the car. As I understand it, the window will go up when a series of micro switches shows the car that the roof it in the up position. As I recall the switches will not trip unless the top is properly latched. You may have just been describing the speific position of the switches themselves. Someday if you care, there is a chart that describes roof position, switch logic states and relays, right now you probably just want to get this fixed.

4 Yes, but enging running or not - they should work in the On position (Key). Hey don't forget #1 is performed with the roof in its current almost closed position. Once that brass knob is open you can raise the roof to clear the latch by hand from the inside. You could tackle that one today if you feel like it.

Let us know how it goes. John

Old 06-09-2015, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

FYI, what I believe is happening right now is that the micro swtiches don't say "Roof is closed" so the windows don't work - as though the roof was open all the way. I had this exact same thing when I went above 10 or 15 mph (whatever the cutoff is) while closing my roof and it was almost closed. It just stopped about 1 or 2 inches above the windshield. Good luck but I"m sure you'll be OK.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:26 PM

UPDATE
Thanks so much for the info, John. I think others searching and finding this post will be helped immensely.

So there was a break in the rain and I got it fixed... but it was not as easy as it sounds. First note, the Allen key portal to manually control the top is NOT in the cluster with the map lights. It is slightly to the right of that near the passenger's sun visor. Luckily I did not have to mess with that as it turns out.

The issue I had was that the rear joints had locked and I could not manually pull the top back. Luckily, I talked with Gus from jaguarrepair.com who posts on here a lot and his page detailed hor to unlock that joint. It is not easy, but I got it done with some advice from him and his page here JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource which has a diagram showing it. Totally de-mystified it for me. Thank you Guys and John!

Once that joint folded, I was able to:

1. manually bring the top completely down by hand
2. close the petcock
3. turn the car on and press the roof up button.
4. watch to make sure the latch popped up (keep pressing up)
5, watched the latch close the roof and (keep pressing) put up the rear windows

Had the latch not popped up, Gus says the car would need a hard restart. Meaning dissengagging the negative battery cable. (read elsewhere for the proper way to do that)

Success! Thanks everyone and I hope this helps others in the same situation. The lesson to be learned is not to let anyone open your roof that does not know to open it ALL the way and then close it ALL the way.

The following 2 users liked this post by 99xk8guy:
Gus (06-09-2015), Jon89 (06-10-2015)
Old 06-09-2015, 02:53 PM
Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts

no the manual latch is on the face panel of the header where it turns 90@ to the top near the right sunvisor remove the plug and insert the wrench mounted on the pump for the top