XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone suggest a good car cover for my 1998 XK8 Convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 07:57 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Can someone suggest a good car cover for my 1998 XK8 Convertible?

I am looking for a custom car cover for my 1998 Jaguar XK8 convertible, any suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 04-21-2012, 10:18 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Dustop is nice for an indoor cover.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:07 AM
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

If it's for outdoor, I stopped using mine because I often found little scratches on the car, after removal. Someone suggested the wind getting underneath,and causing any dirt/sand to mar the car. Mine was not custom made, but it was a good one.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:28 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I actually read a little bit after asking for a cover and found a lot of negetives to having a cover, I was going to use it as a daily cover as black is really hard to keep clean, but after reading about all the negetives I am definitely not looking to buy a cover anymore. Thanks!

Old 04-22-2012, 11:47 AM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

yeah I used mine daily at first, but even though the car (black XK8) looked clean it had enough dust on it to cause minor scratches from rubbing. now I just use it for winter storage or immediately after the car has been washed.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, i think you really are better off getting a hardwax polish every so often. a bit more expensive, but you get what you pay for! and it solves more than one problem! it LOOKS amazing more often, it looks freshly polished when it rains, and you'll have a millimetre worth of protection before a scratch hits the actual paintwork!

Old 07-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LunarWolf
Personally, i think you really are better off getting a hardwax polish every so often. a bit more expensive, but you get what you pay for! and it solves more than one problem! it LOOKS amazing more often, it looks freshly polished when it rains, and you'll have a millimetre worth of protection before a scratch hits the actual paintwork!
Having come here looking for a cover I'm reading enough warnings that I think I'll be following your advice! Can you recommend anywhere in London for such a service at a reasonable price?

Old 07-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by xkse
Having come here looking for a cover I'm reading enough warnings that I think I'll be following your advice! Can you recommend anywhere in London for such a service at a reasonable price?
I bought a cover for mine when I first got it. They say that the covers have to breathe or else moisture underneath can damage the paint. The dust and pollen got through it and did scratch it some when I took it off. I only drive it every week or two. I had to wipe it down or wash it anyway, plus, you miss out on actually seeing the beauty of the car.

I think the only reason that I might use a cover is if it were my daily driver and I had to park in in a parking lot in the Sun. There is nothing that beats the looks of a car down like being parked in the Sun all day, every day.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a custom cover from JC Whitney, mostly to protect the top from the sun. It is breathable and I have not noticed any scratching . the underside of it is very soft.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:09 PM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

I bought a "Budge" brand cover from Wal Mart. $23. I use it for a dust cover only when the car is freshly washed.

Its actually a pretty good cover for the little money I spent.
Vector

Old 07-01-2013, 09:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think it depends on why you are looking for a cover and when all you are planning to use it.

I would agree that if you are driving the car daily it will be tough to cover it and not get small scratches.

My car lives outdoors and I keep a cover on it to try to minimize damage from the sun. Since I only drive it for fun, I either wash it before putting it back under the cover or touch it up with a California Car Duster and some quick detailer spray.

With a snug custom fit cover, where I am at least, very little abrasives get up underneath it. Though, as LunarWolf suggested, I do keep it well waxed.

I think most of the little scratches people get from using covers are from putting the cover on a car after it was driven without dusting or QDing it.

I have a Covercraft Noah cover and have been very happy with it. While I haven’t had my Jaguar long, I have successfully used this same process with other cars.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:48 AM
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I use Weathershield (covercroft). Rain just runs off it and it dries in minutes I use my car on the weekend and it sits in the sun all day, so I need protection from UV. The cover is very light and not abrasive. I get a small scratch ever great once in a while, but I think its worth the trade-off, with no garage.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:12 AM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I once saw a cover just for the convertible top. It was held on with bongees to the 4 wheel openings. Great for keeping bird crap etc. off the top. Haven't been able to find it since. Stopped covering the whole car because of the scratching. Jack

Old 07-02-2013, 02:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check out Costco.ca in the automotive section.
They offer custom made covers in several grades at very good prices. Some with and some without soft inner liner.
Just got one for my "BLACCAT" ( XK8) No scratching!
Owning a "cat" is much like owning a horse.....Fun to ride them hard but don't put them in the stable wet.....
WW

Old 07-02-2013, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by pophen
I once saw a cover just for the convertible top. It was held on with bongees to the 4 wheel openings. Great for keeping bird crap etc. off the top. Haven't been able to find it since. Stopped covering the whole car because of the scratching. Jack
Sounds like an aircraft cover that someone re-purposed for their convertible.

Like this:

Attached Thumbnails Can someone suggest a good car cover for my 1998 XK8 Convertible?-aircraft-cover.jpg  
Old 07-02-2013, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by pophen
Found it: Waterproof Car Half or Top Covers from Car Cover Shop

Vector