Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Car wobbles and shakes.... (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/car-wobbles-shakes-105233/)

Windycityx 10-26-2013 02:54 PM

Car wobbles and shakes....

My 97' XK8 wobbles, shimmies, and shook from the time I bought it, had it looked at by a few mechanics on a lift, both said front passenger wheel bearing.... and everything else seems real solid they both told me.... had it replaced, along with the front driver tire at it was showing un-even wear.... it still does the same thing, sometimes not so bad, sometimes worse, especially noticeable around 50-70mph.

I jacked up the car today and the passenger wheel does have a little give, not much, but it does move slightly when holding the tire with both hands at 9pm and 3pm.... it moved pretty freely....

So I do the other side and it seems solid, no play, but it seems really hard to spin, definitely quite a bit harder then the passenger side, any ideas?

Jag#4 10-26-2013 06:34 PM

Wheel movement as you describe it sounds like bearings and the early models are known for wheel bearing issues. They upgraded bearing size on later models to cure it. However, I think you said the shop changed them.

I would take it back and let them have another look or get a second opinion from an independent Jag shop.

Windycityx 10-26-2013 06:59 PM

I just replaced the passenger side as the driver side seemed solid, any other suggestions before I take it back in?

test point 10-26-2013 07:19 PM

The early cars were subject to significant problems with all of the front end parts. Without getting everything up front right you will eat through tires at an astonishing rate. You will also be amazed at how much better these cars feel with a front suspension/steering as intended by Jaguar.

Windycityx 10-26-2013 11:31 PM

After thinking about it, what could be the reason for the drivers side front wheel not spinning freely?

test point 10-27-2013 03:56 AM

First thought is a stuck brake caliper. Does the 'wobbles, shimmies, and shook' occur all the time or only while braking?

smithtrevor 10-27-2013 04:28 AM

While your at it have a look at the front disc's...if they are a cheap after market make from flea bay the chances are they are warped (i had exactly these symptoms on a Ford V6 Cougar), a dial gauge will show this accurately but it's possible to mock something up using a fixed point at the edge of the disc.

Windycityx 10-27-2013 08:22 AM

Yes at all speeds, and a little different every time I drive it, I am only thinking that it may be something catching after I jacked the car up yesterday and I had to put quite a bit of pressure on the wheel just to get it to spin.

Windycityx 10-27-2013 03:42 PM

So after driving the car today, I went and checked the passenger side, rotor, caliper, and brake pad were warm.

And the drivers side, the wheel that does not spin freely, the rotor was much hotter along with the caliper and brake pad, what do you think all that means?

test point 10-27-2013 04:33 PM

Stuck caliper. See post #6.

smithtrevor 10-27-2013 05:40 PM

Sounds like it.....Take off the wheel, remove the caliper and hang it clear of the disc, put the wheel back on and spin it with your hand, it should run smooth and clean for several rotations. If it does then post #6 is your problem!

aode06 10-28-2013 07:48 AM

while your at it, clean the face of front speed sensors by removing the 8mm bolt that holds them down.And spray a lil oil on the wiring connectors to them.

test point 10-28-2013 08:02 AM

remove the caliper and hang it clear of the disc
. . . But not by the brake lines!

Windycityx 10-28-2013 10:33 AM

I also forgot to mention it is now throwing up a lot of brake dust on the wheel. And would this also possibly cause an ABS light, traction control and stability control fault codes on dash as well?

mike66 10-28-2013 12:08 PM

See #12. Sounds like new caliper and pads in your future. Change to ceramic while you're at it......way less dust.
Those lights can also be due to module failure if cleaning the sensors doesn't help.

Jag#4 10-28-2013 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Windycityx (Post 842375)
I also forgot to mention it is now throwing up a lot of brake dust on the wheel. And would this also possibly cause an ABS light, traction control and stability control fault codes on dash as well?

Extra brake dust is because they are binding. The dust might cover the wheel sensors and that would throw the code.

Time to get new pads and maybe calipers. If the calipers are bad, better change the rotors while you're at it. If they overheated, warping is possible.

Clean everything you don't replace.