XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 XK8 water under back seat

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 98 XK8 water under back seat

First, let me say that I am new to this forum and have already found many useful information and tips. I recently picked up a 98 XK8 Conv. I love the car but, of course, have quite a few little issues to resolve.

While trying to resolve the issue of a blown rear speaker, for which I had to remove the back seat, I discovered a large amount of water under the seat. As soon as I pulled the seat out I could smell the mildew and realized that everything under there was soaked. I cannot find any readily apparent sources for the water. The top seems to be in excellent condition and I dont see any real issues with the floorboard under there. I did just make the adjustments to both windows to close the small gap that can open between the door window and the back window, but I just dont see how that much water could've gotten in prior to that adjustment, and why it pooled under the back seat instead of down in the foot area. Has anyone come accross this issue or heard of such? Any input would be appreciated.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

I wonder if there is a drain tube from the top that runs through there that is backing up?

Old 12-21-2010, 06:56 PM

That's definitely a thought. I didn't see one, but then again, I wasn't looking for it. I will check that out and let you know what I find.

Thanks for the input!

Old 12-21-2010, 08:09 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Alldata has a total of 20 locations for possible water intrusions and TSB 501-53 from Jaguar addressing the front floorboard and the other at forward door-jam front. I own a 99 convertible and have not noticed a leak in the rear but I would imagine one could take place. AllData does address a carrier seal on the convertible it says to remove it clean it and reinstall it with KY Jelly or equivalent. I also recall seeing a drain and it might be clogged. I hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails 98 XK8 water under back seat-roofdrain.jpg   98 XK8 water under back seat-carrierseal.jpg  
Old 12-21-2010, 08:13 PM
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm a new XK8 convertible owner, so I am just getting up the curve with the car, but.....

My convertible Miata has a "rain rail" at the rear of the top where it meets the back deck. Water is directed to drains at both sides of the car. If you pour water on the rear window it comes exits the car at the drains.

I haven't tried it with the XK8 yet, but I bet it has a similar setup. If the drains get plugged up the water probably ends up in the car. Running something thin down the drain clears them. I have not had to do that.

Also, the "rain rail" can break. If it does water can end up in the car. Probably need to remove the top to fix that.

Again, this is based on my Miata experience. This might well be different.

Jack

Old 12-21-2010, 08:17 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

It is like cleaning the A/C drain just use a little air but be sure not to blow the line apart.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member

I had the Miata issue when I owned one. The drain tubes dropped down thru the floor boards. Well at the bottom where they popped out each one has a little FLAPPER in it to keep water from going UP the tube I guess. When my FLAPPERS were so stiff they no longer FLAPPED, if the water went thru them fast enough the rigid FLAPPER made the water back up into the car. I ended up jsut ripping the FLAPPER out.
Miata, FUN little car. Owned 3. Some day I am doing the 5.0 or LS1 conversion. ROCKET TIME THEN!

Old 12-21-2010, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member

if you want a fun cheap car that handles like you are on rails get the first generation model, skip the 90-93 models, motors are dogs.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by brgjag
if you want a fun cheap car that handles like you are on rails get the first generation model, skip the 90-93 models, motors are dogs.
Don't want to get to far off the original posters question, but...

I have owned two Miatas. First was the first year, 1990. Yes the motor was very underpowered. Handled great. I fixed the power problem with the popular aftermarket supercharger. Tons of power. Bulletproof reliability. Supercharger transformed the car.

Jack

Old 12-22-2010, 10:04 AM

Gus,
I'm not able to view the pictures you posted. When I click on them it takes me to a page that says I don't have permission to edit that post. Is there a trick I'm not aware of?

Old 12-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Yes that is correct. You need to have at least 10 posts and be in good standing and you will be set free to view what you need and I do not have the permissions to do that. So I would suggest you go the New Member area and do an intro and answer till you are set free then you can view them.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:52 AM

Eureka! I can't believe I didn't notice this before but... there is a glaring gap in the weather stripping between the rear window and the trunk lid stripping. Looking at the diagram that Gus posted, it actually appears to be missing a piece. This piece has been missing since before I bought the car (3 months ago) which would account for the large amount of water. Posting some pictures so you can really see what's going on. Hopfully some added weather stripping will do the trick. Still hunting that drain line to be thorough. Thanks for all the input!

Old 12-22-2010, 11:58 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

I think you must open the roof in order to see the drain below. My car is not here so I am unable to check it.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Old 12-22-2010, 12:21 PM

Name:  IMG_0513-1.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  47.7 KB

This photo is taken looking straight down at where the to meets the rear quarter panel. you can see the rather large gap where there is no seal between the two. I believe the water is entering here and running down under the seat and heaven knows where else.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine has the same gap, but no leaks.

Although the end of my rubber weatherstrip is not curled up and in like yours, and the convertible top is not wavy...

I'd keep looking for that clogged tube.

Let us know if you find it and take a picture

Old 12-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Any rain will naturally work its way down to the body of the car and will work its to the interior you need to open the roof to find the channel the water takes and make sure it is clear and that the drain is not clogged. I am unable to check mine to help but when you check yours keep in mind that the roof material is connected to the car around the back under the body lip.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:03 AM

Rats... thought that weather stripping would be the answer. I don't have the with me today, so I will have to do a thorough search for that drain later. I will, however, make sure I get some good pictures of the location when I do find it. Thanks again for all the input thus far!

Old 12-26-2010, 06:32 PM

Not able to find an actual drain. My local Jaguar dealership tells me that there isn't an actual drain, that the water is supposed to run down the inside of the body panel and out the bottom. I do see where this is possible when I look down the inside of the body panel. There is daylight at one point at the bottom. You can also see were if the water gets diverted the wrong way it ends up under the seat. Still working on how the water is getting diverted the wrong way. Hope to figure that out tomorrow night. I will keep posted what I find...

Old 12-26-2010, 07:07 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

The material of the roof bolts to the back of the car behind the rear seat. Check the rear securing bolts for leaks and tightness. It is strange that it shows a drain if one does not exist.

Last edited by Gus; 12-27-2010 at 02:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: 98 XK8 water under back seat