Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Central Locking Problems xk8 (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/central-locking-problems-xk8-6516/)

NickHanson 06-08-2008 08:58 AM

Central Locking Problems xk8

Hi
Can anybody help me - Yesterday my 1997 XK8 coupe central locking stopped working - in addition a few other things occurred :

1. Remote switches off alarm/opens boot and operate headlights but does not open the car
2. Key works ok but just the driver door unlocks - not the passenger door
3. Doors do not lock on drive away anymore.
4. Windows godown the small amount to open the door but does not go back up when you close the door.
5. everytime you pull the door handle the window goes down a small amount - e.g if you pull the door handle 5 times the window goes down 5 times

Nick

jag_genius 06-08-2008 10:12 AM

RE: Central Locking Problems xk8

check you battery

hlgeorge 06-08-2008 07:49 PM

On #5, check your owner's manual. It will tell you how to reset the windows. As j_g says, the computers go squirrely with a battery that is not up to par.

NickHanson 06-09-2008 11:12 AM

Thanks for the info - fixed the window problem - without stating the obvious - how do you tell if your battery is not up to par - starts first time every time, no labouring on the starter - reads 13V (mid way) on the gauge when running - nothing else is going wrong. I drive 125 miles each day on fast A roads and at the moment without lights on - so its getting a good run everyday.

on the door locking:
When i press the key fob the alarm works (indicators flash) and there is a clicking sound coming from the door - also when you open the door from the inside there is the same clicks (every 3 or 4 secs) -

Nick

hlgeorge 06-09-2008 01:10 PM

I would just try a reboot and see what happens. Disconnect the battery for a minute or so and reconnect it. Let it sit for a few minutes. Of course you will have to reprogram the windows again.

test point 06-09-2008 05:50 PM

Mostauto part stores will do a battery test for free, hoping to sell you a battery. The voltage guage is an 'idiot guage', it always reads in the middle unless the system has completely failed.

lockgirl 06-09-2008 07:33 PM

I had the same problem. Appx $125 installed by the great guys at my localAdvanced Auto Parts. They even took the time to hook up a secondary battery so myvehicle programming stayed (radio,#1, #2 settings,etc)as they made the change.

Poof - problems gone!

jag_genius 06-09-2008 09:17 PM

does it lock then.. after tick..tick.. then unlock..?

NickHanson 06-12-2008 08:24 AM

Hi
Sorry for delay – been trying a few days but there is something wrong with my computer.

The car only locks and unlocks the driver door with the key. If you press the remote – interior lights come on and you can hear clicking but nothing happens. When you get in the car and lock the door from the inside your hear a click every few seconds (think there are 3 or 4 clicks) also you can hear clicks on the passenger side. Passenger side will only open by hand. Boot & fuel opens ok, remote boot and lights ok. No drive off locking either

Nick

test point 06-12-2008 04:36 PM

Please forgive if I am being doubly redundent but everything you describe still could be a marginal battery. Try simple first.

NickHanson 06-17-2008 06:33 AM

Hi I've had the battery checked out and have been told it's fine think it showed 12.9 Volts - can't think what else it could be in terms of resetting (disconected battery to try that)- must be something electrical in the door as it clicks but does nothing else - anyone any last thoughts before I take it in to a dealer

Nick

Roslyman 05-02-2009 10:36 PM

98 XK8 doors not locking

Hi I have similar problems. Cannot use remote at all. I got new battery for it. I can manually lock the drivers door but not the passengers door. Accordingly someone helped themselves to a gear shift knob in Roslyn the other night. I have loaned my manual and the local jag expert is on holiday. I have the same problemn with the door lowering when touching the handle as above. The battery is charged according to the battery man. I have to prime it before closing it. I can reset the windows by the hand switches ok. Also the battery goes flat if I leave it connected overnight but I cannot figure what the drain off is? So have manually set up everytime I drive it. Any ideas?

Carmow 04-28-2014 01:38 PM

Has anyone ever got to the bottom of what to do to cure this problem?

Nonoproton 09-23-2014 03:22 PM

Possible answer?

Originally Posted by Carmow (Post 964104)
Has anyone ever got to the bottom of what to do to cure this problem?

I've been having this exact same problem on my 2000 xkr! Went to the dealer, they said it was a door microswitch problem, which was going to cost about €400,- per door! Although you can biy the parts yourself and possibly fix the problem. Here's a link to a video of how it should be done:
http://youtu.be/DV1hy3AYni0

Alhough i haven't tried this yet due to a lack of time.
Furthermore i found a possible second option, it is said you can clean this microswitch yourself, here's a link to that post:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-17/success-passenger-door-microswitch-90184/?styleid=5
Have been suffering from this problem quite a while now, especially when the alarm goes of at 3am is startink to wear me out ;)

Anyway, hope this helps, please let me know if it does!

Greetings

Jandreu 09-23-2014 06:03 PM

Sounds like the door micro switch to me, see post >#6 here for info and links:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...roject-118210/

Marqymarquis 06-21-2019 12:49 PM

Exactly the same on my XK8

Originally Posted by NickHanson (Post 57562)
Hi
Can anybody help me - Yesterday my 1997 XK8 coupe central locking stopped working - in addition a few other things occurred :

1. Remote switches off alarm/opens boot and operate headlights but does not open the car
2. Key works ok but just the driver door unlocks - not the passenger door
3. Doors do not lock on drive away anymore.
4. Windows godown the small amount to open the door but does not go back up when you close the door.
5. everytime you pull the door handle the window goes down a small amount - e.g if you pull the door handle 5 times the window goes down 5 times

Nick

The same thing happens on my XK8 every couple of weeks. The problem usually only affects the driver’s door (R/H side as I am in England).
i have replaced the module inside the driver’s door but this has had no effect. The only cure I have found is to disconnect the battery for a few minutes. The car then needs to be left to “sort itself out” for a while (ten minutes or so); then the window max lift and drop positions can be reset and the system will work as it should for another two weeks or so.
I am now contemplating changing the central locking module which is located in the boot (trunk) underneath the fuse box on the right hand side rear wards of the battery.
Mark, Worthing, Sussex, England

DavidYau 06-21-2019 12:58 PM

That’s a seriously old thread... but still resonates... probably for all eternity

Check
1. Battery
2. Battery cables’ connections
3. Door cable connections
4. Microswitches
4. Door control module
5. Security module

bet it’s no.1 or 2

JayJagJay 01-15-2020 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by DavidYau (Post 2088223)
Check
1. Battery
2. Battery cables’ connections
3. Door cable connections
4. Microswitches
4. Door control module
5. Security module

bet it’s no.1 or 2

HI DAVID! Brother, You're everywhere, lol....

Guess why I'm reading this!?