Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Changing KM to MPH gauge cluster (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/changing-km-mph-gauge-cluster-84957/)

Cali_XK8 11-18-2012 03:18 PM

Changing KM to MPH gauge cluster

Hi guys, I have a question about changing the speedometer from KM/H to MP/H.

I'm looking to buy a '97 with 60k miles (96k kms). It's originally from Canada, so it has the speedo in KMs.

Replacement gauge clusters seem to be pretty cheap, so that's not a problem. However I'm wondering if there's a way to preserve the mileage on the odometer, or keep the old one, or is it a complete swap with the replacement where I get the replacement's mileage instead?

If that's the case, can a dealership re-program the odometer to match the original mileage?

Reverend Sam 11-18-2012 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cali_XK8 (Post 623249)
Hi guys, I have a question about changing the speedometer from KM/H to MP/H.

I'm looking to buy a '97 with 60k miles (96k kms). It's originally from Canada, so it has the speedo in KMs.

Replacement gauge clusters seem to be pretty cheap, so that's not a problem. However I'm wondering if there's a way to preserve the mileage on the odometer, or keep the old one, or is it a complete swap with the replacement where I get the replacement's mileage instead?

If that's the case, can a dealership re-program the odometer to match the original mileage?

I'm not certain, but I don't believe the dealer can reprogram the odometer. If that was possible, unscrupulous *******s with the software would be reprogramming odometers left and right.

The instrument cluster swap is very simple and you can buy them on eBay for anywhere from $27 to $275. If you find one that is within a couple of thousand miles of your current mileage (kilometerage?) then I'd just swap the cluster out and pretend it never happened. If you buy one with significantly less mileage than your current one then you should obviously tell a future buyer about it. I wouldn't buy one with more mileage on it simply because it will be an issue when you try to sell the car eventually.

After further consideration, it's worth calling the dealer just to see if they can reprogram it. If they have to install a brand new instrument cluster in a car then I would think they have to have a way to adjust the mileage. Maybe they break it open and swap out a chip or something.

By the way... Here's a video which shows how to remove and replace the instrument cluster. Sorry it's so grainy. I had the camera set on the wrong setting.

Reverend Sam 11-18-2012 09:08 PM

Oops. I said a dirty word. I meant to say "unscrupulous sons of mothers who were not married to the father at the time of their birth"

Cali_XK8 11-18-2012 11:51 PM

lol, ok.. thanks for the video