Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Chrome wrap an XKR? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/chrome-wrap-xkr-78361/)

Jeff in Tucson 08-07-2012 04:42 PM

Chrome wrap an XKR?

OK, here's one that will make some eyes twitch...

I'm usually not one to go for 'flash' but I'm actually wondering about wrapping my XKR with chrome over the stock body panels. I have the skill to do it myself. If I don't like it, I can peel it off. The crazy part of my brain keeps reaching over and poking the sane part of my brain, saying, "Chrome. Chrome. Chrome."

Stop it!

If I did this to my Jagger you'd have to call me Pimp-Daddy... and I don't know if my fiancee would let me park it at home. :icon_beamme:

Here's an Aston in full-on flashy mode:

http://media.soletron.com/blog/wp-co...AstonMBE_1.jpg

Norri 08-07-2012 04:49 PM

I have to say it's not as horrid as I imagined, it might grow on me.

xkr100speedracer 08-07-2012 05:50 PM

I think it looks good on the aston and it will look good on the xkr. how much will it cost?

Kevin D 08-07-2012 06:02 PM

There are some guys on here who can probably photoshop it for you so you can actually see it.

Interestingly, you would probably need black, not chrome wheels, just like the Aston.

It would definitely be a true eye catcher.

If you can, and you like it, go for it. I'd love to see it.

I wonder about water spotting and so forth. I am sure that it would look great when super clean and shiny, but, if subject to any sort of spotting or what not, that would really throw the look off. As a daily driver it may not look so great after a while. If it is a toy, as mine is, and never gets out into weather or subjected to harsh elements, then it could keep its look for a long time.

Jeff in Tucson 08-07-2012 09:42 PM

Chrome wrap cost

It will probably cost about $3000 to have it done at a local wrap shop. If I do it myself, I can probably get it done for about $600.

We'll see! Thinking, thinking, thinking.

tberg 08-07-2012 10:48 PM

I've seen an Audi R8 done in chrome, definitely an eye-catcher. I wonder about the glare factor in bright sunlight to uncoming drivers, it could be blinding.

XKRacer 08-08-2012 01:46 AM

It is technically ilegal in the UK just because of the glare factor (like we get sunshine!), nothing stopping you doing it you just cant drive it on the roads.

Proper chrome wrap is very expensive, there is cheaper stuff out there but the good stuff is $400 a metre

RCSign 08-08-2012 09:30 AM

Racer's correct the cheaper vinyl (chrome mirror finish) runs about $120.00 for a 10yard x 24" roll, but it's very susceptible to scratching. It will scratch by just a towel being wiped over it. Don't ask how I know, I don't like to discuss screw ups. There is a higher quality that's probably more resistant to scratching but I don't know what the cost would be. If you use the cheaper vinyl after a short time I think the scratches would practically dull it out. The other alternatives would be a brushed finish similar to the DeLorean's stainless.

MRomanik 08-08-2012 12:03 PM

A Bieber Jag?:icon_lol:

I saw on TV that Justin Bieber drives a chrome Fisker.

It looks better than I thought it would.

Terro 08-09-2012 11:30 AM

They also have it in gold that looks very good too :)

Norri 08-09-2012 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by MRomanik (Post 559779)
A Bieber Jag?:icon_lol:

I saw on TV that Justin Bieber drives a chrome Fisker.

That's taken the shine off it! :icon_goofygrin:

Jeff in Tucson 09-04-2012 06:56 PM

Sketches: 1) Chrome 2) With Burl Hood

I borrowed a pic from Paragon to do these sketches.

Pic 1 is all chrome:

http://www.trafficspikesusa.com/chromejag.jpg

Pic 2 is with a burl hood:

http://www.trafficspikesusa.com/chromejagburl.jpg

It's a bit flashy, but I'm leaning toward the burl hooded version. It would look awesome being able to see the interior burl accents at the same time. The trunk will be burl also with the rear spoiler being chrome.

This is a 'next year' project. Performance first! That will be the Avos twin screw supercharger, THEN I'll work on appearance. This body wrap mod will cost around $6000.

daddyo007 09-05-2012 05:04 PM

There is an xk in Louisville Ky chrome wrapped. Looks good standing still. But I got a glimpse of this thing in the morning sun. Then I got horns blown at me from some mini van for not going on a green light. I thought what the hell I can't even see any lights. I cannot even imagine trying to drive that thing.

A "getter done":cool: suggestion. Put some Reynolds wrap on the hood then try to see!

You'll need more than sun glasses.

I can here if now; Hey Betty look what Fred is a doing to his car now!

Jeff in Tucson 10-22-2012 09:44 AM

I found a 2012 Jag chrome wrapped. Very cool!

steveinfrance 10-22-2012 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by XKRacer (Post 559514)
It is technically ilegal in the UK

It ought to be illegal everywhere, probably with the same sort of penalty as bestiality since that's the closest crime.

plums 10-22-2012 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by steveinfrance (Post 605494)
It ought to be illegal everywhere, probably with the same sort of penalty as bestiality since that's the closest crime.

Nope.

Not before aftermarket HID conversions and badly aimed headlights of *any* kind are banned. In particular BMW headlights which seem to be delivered new with very aggressive aiming.

Paul Pavlik 10-22-2012 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff in Tucson (Post 559459)
It will probably cost about $3000 to have it done at a local wrap shop. If I do it myself, I can probably get it done for about $600.

We'll see! Thinking, thinking, thinking.

Let's see, Thinking, Thinking, Thinking.:icon_denk:

Let's just say: "Different Strokes for Different Folks"

Jeff in Tucson 10-22-2012 03:34 PM

Pimp Daddy

It is definitely on the wild side of things.

Frog 10-23-2012 02:31 AM

The chrome wrap isn't quite as bad as I thought, but a fake walnut burr hood..?! You're kidding, right?

steveinfrance 10-23-2012 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by plums (Post 605581)
Nope.

Not before aftermarket HID conversions and badly aimed headlights of *any* kind are banned. In particular BMW headlights which seem to be delivered new with very aggressive aiming.

You can only see those at night.
Unfortunately this would be visible all the time.