XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Air Induction

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 10:41 AM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Cold Air Induction

Hi all, anyone install a cold ( like a K&N) induction system Like I have on my 99 XK8 ?

I have seen some comments in the past, do not recall the negative reactions.

I've noticed in our recent hot, hot weather here on the Island, temp gauge, ( scan gauge) goes up a bit. If I pull off the throttle a little, maintain same speed or coast down grade, the temp drops.

Thinking, may be too much air?? I've tried a cloth tied around half the tapered oblong filter. Temp seems to lower. Runs well. Still not sure if the computer is getting use to the intake air with the cloth.

Any ideas? tks Rich

Old 08-09-2015, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

Your car actually came with cold air induction, just not enough of it. I imagine your intake set up is the same as my 99 XK8 There isn't any room under the hood, and unless you are picking up air from inside of the wheel well, like the stock filter snorkel, you are getting hotter air, instead of colder. Many of those Cold Air kits are actually bringing in hotter air, but the tubing is chrome steel(also a heat conductor), and looks neat when you open the hood. I have not seen a K&N setup, so I don't know anything about how they are constructed

I marked the snorkel as it was going through the side of the engine compartment, and cut off the rest of the snorkle, with a cut off wheel. If you measure the opening then, mathematically it comes out damn near the same, as the throttle plate inlet. I do not know why Jaguar does this. I put foam around where the snorkel goes into the wheel well, so it wouldn't be sucking in any engine compartment heat, and just put a K&N filter in the air filter box. You aren't going to get any more airflow through the engine, than the throttle plate will allow. Boy would I like to see a kit for that, like my VWs and Corvettes.

If you want to cool off the air anymore, you can open up the lower inner wheel well flap, in the front, and pull it down a little, to draw in some cooler air. I also put vents in my hood, initially for cosmetic reasons, but later made them functional. They reduce the under hood temp. by about 30 degrees on the highway on a very hot day, to about 15 degrees lower on a cool day. The down side to them, is when you are stuck in traffic, with the top down, and the fan kicks on. The heat comes out of those vents like Hell cannot imagine. I forgot that little issue about my XKE, which I am trying to style my car after.

When I changed my transmission, I also got rid of the cooler lines going to the radiator, and instead ran the fluid through an oil cooler leaning forward of the ac condenser, with a small electric fan on it, that runs continually, while the key is on.

I imagine the transmission is saying thank you, from removing her cooler lines from a 200 degree radiator, but she hasn't talked to me yet I just hope cooler fluid keeps my old self from doing that job for another hundred thousand miles, with frequent oil and filter changes. I also might even add a short spin on remote oil filter, to further clean the fluid......Be cool....Mike

Last edited by mrplow58; 08-09-2015 at 01:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrplow58:
max224 (08-09-2015), reb1999 (08-10-2015)
Old 08-09-2015, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by mrplow58
When I changed my transmission, I also got rid of the cooler lines going to the radiator, and instead ran the fluid through an oil cooler leaning forward of the ac condenser, with a small electric fan on it, that runs continually, while the key is on. ...Mike
Any chance we could get some more detail and a picture of that setup?

Old 08-09-2015, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member

At the moment I have the fan mounted on the wrong side of the cooler. It works fine. I just want to turn it around for looks. I'll put up pictures tomorrow, and you will get the general idea.....Be cool....Mike

Old 08-10-2015, 07:14 AM
Default Thank u for the info

Thank you for the info. Although the kit comes with gaskets and seals to use the original inlet, I am sure more heat is being inducted. I will look at the wheel well, See what I can come up with. When I restricted some air with a rag wrap around the filter, I did notice improved performance.

Yes I'd love to put louvers in the hood. too warm under bonnet.
Thanks Rich

Originally Posted by mrplow58
Your car actually came with cold air induction, just not enough of it. I imagine your intake set up is the same as my 99 XK8 There isn't any room under the hood, and unless you are picking up air from inside of the wheel well, like the stock filter snorkel, you are getting hotter air, instead of colder. Many of those Cold Air kits are actually bringing in hotter air, but the tubing is chrome steel(also a heat conductor), and looks neat when you open the hood. I have not seen a K&N setup, so I don't know anything about how they are constructed

I marked the snorkel as it was going through the side of the engine compartment, and cut off the rest of the snorkle, with a cut off wheel. If you measure the opening then, mathematically it comes out damn near the same, as the throttle plate inlet. I do not know why Jaguar does this. I put foam around where the snorkel goes into the wheel well, so it wouldn't be sucking in any engine compartment heat, and just put a K&N filter in the air filter box. You aren't going to get any more airflow through the engine, than the throttle plate will allow. Boy would I like to see a kit for that, like my VWs and Corvettes.

If you want to cool off the air anymore, you can open up the lower inner wheel well flap, in the front, and pull it down a little, to draw in some cooler air. I also put vents in my hood, initially for cosmetic reasons, but later made them functional. They reduce the under hood temp. by about 30 degrees on the highway on a very hot day, to about 15 degrees lower on a cool day. The down side to them, is when you are stuck in traffic, with the top down, and the fan kicks on. The heat comes out of those vents like Hell cannot imagine. I forgot that little issue about my XKE, which I am trying to style my car after.

When I changed my transmission, I also got rid of the cooler lines going to the radiator, and instead ran the fluid through an oil cooler leaning forward of the ac condenser, with a small electric fan on it, that runs continually, while the key is on.

I imagine the transmission is saying thank you, from removing her cooler lines from a 200 degree radiator, but she hasn't talked to me yet I just hope cooler fluid keeps my old self from doing that job for another hundred thousand miles, with frequent oil and filter changes. I also might even add a short spin on remote oil filter, to further clean the fluid......Be cool....Mike

Old 08-10-2015, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by reb1999
Hi all, anyone install a cold ( like a K&N) induction system Like I have on my 99 XK8 ?

I've noticed in our recent hot, hot weather here on the Island, temp gauge, ( scan gauge) goes up a bit. If I pull off the throttle a little, maintain same speed or coast down grade, the temp drops.

Thinking, may be too much air?? I've tried a cloth tied around half the tapered oblong filter. Temp seems to lower. Runs well. Still not sure if the computer is getting use to the intake air with the cloth.

Any ideas? tks Rich
Rich....Could you post a picture of your set up? I will post pictures of my oil cooler and the vents, from both sides, if you want. I will even take apart the snorkel, and show hou much more air you can get through the stock system.....I'll post it this afternoon or tonight. After I put on my vintage MGB luggage rack. Should be a fun day.....Be cool....Mike

Old 08-10-2015, 05:40 PM
Default Air Intake

Air intake with cloth removed

Originally Posted by reb1999

Any ideas? tks Rich

Attached Thumbnails Cold Air Induction-jag-air-intake.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Jag#4 (08-10-2015)
Old 08-10-2015, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=reb1999;1283946]Thank you for the info. Although the kit comes with gaskets and seals to use the original inlet, I am sure more heat is being inducted. I will look at the wheel well, See what I can come up with. When I restricted some air with a rag wrap around the filter, I did notice improved performance.

Yes I'd love to put louvers in the hood. too warm under bonnet.
Thanks Rich [/QUOT

Here's some pics of the louvers Rich. I was told they came from a 1928 Plymouth. Some folks would not cut a couple supports under the hood. It didn't have any effect to how the hood closed or functioned.....Be cool....Mike

Attached Thumbnails Cold Air Induction-dscn0397.jpg   Cold Air Induction-dscn0398.jpg   Cold Air Induction-dscn0402.jpg  

Last edited by mrplow58; 08-10-2015 at 08:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
reb1999 (08-11-2015)
Old 08-10-2015, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jag#4
Any chance we could get some more detail and a picture of that setup?
Jag#4.....Here are the pictures you asked for of the trans cooler tilted in front of the condenser. I am sorry they aren't very good, but I shake a little. The pics under the hood are kind of dark, and some of the problem with that is that the fan frame is black. I use a lot of wire ties. It came from a couple of years installing MRIs for General Electric. I must have 500 of them. They came with each MRI package, and you threw away what you didn't use. I didn't. We were supposed to make wires and hoses, so they wouldn't move. I made the hard lines from the trans out of copper tubing. There is nothing to worry about, because the cooling system for the trans only runs at around 5psi. The copper tubing is secured to 2 bell housing bolts, so they do not fatigue. The rest is rubber fuel line, secured to the X member under the engine, to 2 copper tubing clamps to the cooler. The bottom of the cooler looks very exposed in the frontal picture, but it is really higher than the oil pan. I will probably paint the top of the cooler black, so it is not so noticeable. I have a rectangular vent hiding the lower part of the cooler when everything is together, like the XKE had......Hope this helps.....Be cool.....Mike

Attached Thumbnails Cold Air Induction-dscn0406.jpg   Cold Air Induction-dscn0410.jpg   Cold Air Induction-dscn0413.jpg  

Last edited by mrplow58; 08-10-2015 at 09:53 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrplow58:
Jag#4 (08-11-2015), reb1999 (08-11-2015)