Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   convertible top (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/convertible-top-91337/)

jjf 03-08-2013 10:11 AM

convertible top

usually drive my 98 XK8 a couple times a week, usually with top down... Does it make a difference if I leave top down or up for extended period of time while it is in the garage?

Jon89 03-08-2013 10:25 AM

A few owners have reported more obvious creasing and wrinkling of their tops when left down for months at a time. I do not know if such creasing and wrinkling would disappear once the tops are left in the up-and-closed position and have a chance to tighten up. Our top is left up probably 95% of the time and it still looks almost new....

Norri 03-08-2013 10:41 AM

+1 on what John said, also the headliner will probably get dirtier too.

lorwood 03-08-2013 12:00 PM

During the summer months in an effort to avoid the green shower I sometimes leave the top down in the garage. Not for months but maybe a couple of weeks. The top may be a bit "wrinkled" when I put it back up but these stretch out and fade quickly. The dash can get a little dusty but my garage is fairly clean. Never had a problem with the headliner getting dirty. Just my .02 cents worth.

Jag#4 03-08-2013 01:02 PM

I mostly leave my top down while the blue cat is in the garage, but I drive it every day. Once the top is raised, the wrinkles pull out pretty fast.

I can say that it definitely will result in a dirtier headliner. My garage is not especially dusty, but it really makes a difference. Learning too late to use the tonneau cover more often.

And what happened to those cool covers that went over the entire interior (with the top down) and had a zip opening for the driver? Had one fitted to my MGA back in the day & it was great.

steveinfrance 03-08-2013 01:13 PM

Yes, +1 on the tonneau cover.
Just remember to remove it before putting the top up!!

MRomanik 03-09-2013 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jag#4 (Post 692059)

And what happened to those cool covers that went over the entire interior (with the top down) and had a zip opening for the driver? Had one fitted to my MGA back in the day & it was great.

I got an interior cover from California Car Covers. I usually leave the top down and put the cover on overnight.

SeismicGuy 03-09-2013 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by steveinfrance (Post 692072)
Yes, +1 on the tonneau cover.
Just remember to remove it before putting the top up!!

I made the boneheaded mistake once of trying to raise the top while the tonneau was still on. I couldn't figure out why nothing was happening and for an instant thought that a hose or the pump was broken, until I looked back and saw the tonneau. No harm was done but I felt like an idiot.

By the way I had also wondered if anyone ever came up with those types of tonneau's like my dad had on his old 1957 MG that covered the passenger side when nobody else was in the car. I guess given the size of the interior compared with those much smaller English 2-seaters it would be a daunting task to come up with such a tonneau.

Doug

steveinfrance 03-10-2013 06:39 AM

I've done the same. Probably everyone has but won't admit it!!

SPIJohn 03-10-2013 11:35 PM

I’d like to chime-in regarding all the comments about top wrinkles…..

The PO of my ’97 (a friend of mine) left the top down for MONTHS at a time during all the years of his ownership (he bought it new). It seemed like every time I saw the car the top was down. I have owned this car now for 3 years, and it is driven only for pleasure. However, even though it is stored in my garage with the top “up”, and after all this time, it is still wrinkled. I am now of the opinion that they are never going to go away……:icon_cry:

-John

rickjensen 04-10-2013 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jag#4 (Post 692059)
I mostly leave my top down while the blue cat is in the garage, but I drive it every day. Once the top is raised, the wrinkles pull out pretty fast.

I can say that it definitely will result in a dirtier headliner. My garage is not especially dusty, but it really makes a difference. Learning too late to use the tonneau cover more often.

Just wonder how you clean the headliner. Vacuum doesn't get dirt on the creases - perhaps previous owner didn't use the cover while the top was down.

rickjensen 04-10-2013 04:29 PM

I'll let you know. Mine's sat with the top up stored for 6 months. In MN we have 3 inches of snow on the ground from last night, and much more due tonight. My summer toy, which nearly always goes topless, will have to wait until mid May to come out of hibernation.

Jag#4 04-10-2013 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by rickjensen (Post 715235)
Just wonder how you clean the headliner. Vacuum doesn't get dirt on the creases - perhaps previous owner didn't use the cover while the top was down.

Vacuum first and use any decent cloth cleaner. Simple Green diluted for the hard stains and the handy wipes for baby bottoms work well for spot stains.

Be aware that the orange-looking stains across the frame bows are most likely where the headliner is breaking down. The foam padding deteriorates and leaves those stains. Fix for that is a new headliner.

Stamford 04-10-2013 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by steveinfrance (Post 693016)
I've done the same. Probably everyone has but won't admit it!!

I've done it -- twice. The first time the little retainers that go under the truck lid were launched somewhere. Found just one of the rubber end pieces. Try replacing those suckers. Can't find them anywhere, so I rigged up substitutes. But I would rather have the originals. Fortunately, the second time I realized what I was doing just in time.

Stamford 04-10-2013 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by rickjensen (Post 715236)
I'll let you know. Mine's sat with the top up stored for 6 months. In MN we have 3 inches of snow on the ground from last night, and much more due tonight. My summer toy, which nearly always goes topless, will have to wait until mid May to come out of hibernation.

Rick, It was 70 in Connecticut today. Time to relocate, buddy.

WhiteXKR 04-10-2013 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Stamford (Post 715464)
The first time the little retainers that go under the truck lid were launched somewhere. Can't find them anywhere, so I rigged up substitutes. But I would rather have the originals.

They are a dealer part sold separate from the cover...not very expensive.

dsnyder586 04-11-2013 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by rickjensen
"I'll let you know. Mine's sat with the top up stored for 6 months. In MN we have 3 inches of snow on the ground from last night, and much more due tonight. My summer toy, which nearly always goes topless, will have to wait until mid May to come out of hibernation."

Hey Rick, I have good friends in EP and saw pictures of the conditions the last couple of days. I can relate as we were down to the low 60's last night. Oh the humanity!

Stamford 04-12-2013 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR (Post 715466)
They are a dealer part sold separate from the cover...not very expensive.

Couldn't find them on any dealer site, but one well known Jag OEM parts supplier quoted me $46.35, plus shipping for the three. That inspired me to search further yesterday and I found a boot cover supplier who only wants $11 for all three, including shipping, and they look identical to OEM. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

WhiteXKR 04-12-2013 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Stamford (Post 716276)
Couldn't find them on any dealer site, but one well known Jag OEM parts supplier quoted me $46.35, plus shipping for the three. That inspired me to search further yesterday and I found a boot cover supplier who only wants $11 for all three, including shipping, and they look identical to OEM. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

The end pieces are CBC7363: Jaguar Parts - Direct JPLV Porsche Parts.com

THe plastic tubes are HJA7845DA: Jaguar Parts - Direct JPLV Porsche Parts.com

The $11 deal looks OK. $46.35 is highway robbery.

Jon89 04-12-2013 07:36 AM

You can easily make these tubes out of wooden dowels sold in hobby stores that sell model airplane kits. Buy the appropriate dowel thickness, cut off three pieces at the appropriate length, paint them black if you want the factory look, and glue them inside their retaining loops using epoxy. Problem solved for maybe three bucks, total....