Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   convertible top problem (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/convertible-top-problem-194313/)

mtmous 12-26-2017 05:22 PM

convertible top problem

Just bought a 99 XK8, very nice car with 28k miles.
Problem 1: Top worked a few times after I got it, then quit, then worked again. Now when I attempt top down the windows go down as expected but no warning tone and the hydraulic pump motor seems to start up but the top latch never moves. I did a hard reset by disconnecting the battery cables and touching them together for 15 seconds, during that time I heard a click or two. Reconnected battery and reset the front windows. Top exhibits exactly the same symptoms.
Problem 2: Might or might not be related to problem 1. Open the trunk and no trunk lights. After I reset as above the trunk light came on. But then I shut the trunk and reopened and again no lights.
Yes the reservoir is full to the lower line, probably original fluid but I can't see why it would work then not work. Before I was getting the tone as it started to open, now not even that.
I have no clue?

avern1 12-26-2017 05:56 PM

Full is in the middle between the upper and lower line. When you are adding fluid check the Tee shaped handle and make sure it is tightly closed clockwise. That is the pump bypass.
Try that and get back to us with the results.

avern1 12-26-2017 05:59 PM

Sorry forgot the boot problem. Spray some electric contact cleaner or WD 40 into the lock mechanism. You probably have a sticky microswitch.

RJ237 12-26-2017 07:17 PM

If the is greenish it's okay. If original it may have gelled and clogged the lines.

Gus 12-26-2017 07:32 PM

First the tank should be filled to the top embossed line on the tank. second when doing the reset for the roof it should be open and the latch parked. Then with the engine running press the close button and hold it until it is fully closed.

mtmous 12-27-2017 06:29 AM

Thanks, I'll manually open the roof and park the latch. Then I'll siphon out all the old fluid I can and refill with Pentosin. Then I'll power close it and see what happens. Does this sound right?
If I still have problems I guess I have to flush the system. Not looking forward to taking the header apart.

Gus 12-27-2017 07:33 AM

Yes but also do the hard reset when it is open and latch parked.

Originally Posted by mtmous (Post 1815261)
Thanks, I'll manually open the roof and park the latch. Then I'll siphon out all the old fluid I can and refill with Pentosin. Then I'll power close it and see what happens. Does this sound right?
If I still have problems I guess I have to flush the system. Not looking forward to taking the header apart.

mtmous 12-27-2017 07:35 AM

Thanks, will do.

Jennifer Havill 01-20-2018 01:22 PM

Did that solve the problem?

mtmous 01-20-2018 04:04 PM

Actually haven't gotten to it yet. Wife had back surgery and other stuff going on too. Plus it's way too nasty here to get it out anyway, sub-zero nights and rain days. Salted roads etc. Thanks for asking. I'll post when I get it done.

Lady Penelope 01-20-2018 05:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Link and TSB may help :

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...tifying-38412/

mtmous 02-26-2018 09:10 PM

Now I'm confused even more. I have had a non-functioning top ever since I got this car (99 XK8, 2 months ago). It worked a few times then got to where the front latch would not open. I have been very busy with other stuff and weather has been bad here so I did nothing. I was going to change the fluid to see if that was the problem. So today it got warm and clear so I drove it about 15 miles to several stops around town and when I got home I tried the top and it opened and closed properly about 3 times. Go figure? Any way while it was open the last time I sprayed silicone spray in and around the latch and closed the top. Tomorrow if it won't open I'll be back here again... ;-)

johns55 02-28-2018 10:34 PM

Hate to say it, but it probably won't open or close at some point in the future. It can be temperamental. I've redone the entire system with the exception of the pump and it still opens 5 time in a row then messes up.