Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Crack in Convertible Drivers Door Window (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/crack-convertible-drivers-door-window-78541/)

PaulJ 08-10-2012 05:02 AM

Crack in Convertible Drivers Door Window

I have just noticed that I have a crack about 1" from the top of the glass about 4" long towards the front of the top before it curves down by roof pillar. Feeling the crack it seems to have fractured on the inside only, at the moment.

The window opens closes fine and the drop works when opening door and lines up with rear window as well .

So I am wondering if it has been pushing to hard against frame in the convertible roof as cant see any other reason for it. It is odd as would have thought you would need a lot of pressure to crack it and it wouldnt have closed properly? My wife wondered if somebody had tried to force window but no damage to fabric so think unlikely.

Will no doubt change it so wondering if their are adjustments to take the pressure off the top of the glass ie adjust so glass doesnt press as hard on the roof frame.

Or does anybody have any other ideas on cause?

GGG 08-10-2012 07:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The side windows in the XK8 are toughened glass. A single sheet tempered by heat and rapid cooling in the manufacturing process.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ide-window-jpg

An original door glass will be trade marked like this (except for the 'Coupe' at the bottom line)

Toughened doesn't crack, it shatters. Windscreens crack because they are Laminated - two sheets of glass bonded to a polyvinyl interlayer.

Do you have a pic of the damage?

Graham

ccfulton 08-10-2012 08:12 AM

Have to agree with GGG, you would have a seat full of rock salt before it would ever crack like you describe.

A scratch perhaps? Or even less permanent, a line of dirt?

I noticed that I would get a fairly strait line of crud right along the top of the window. It would clean off the glass but kept coming back until I cleaned the seals very well.

I think a previous owner or the dealer I got the car from had the silly idea that rubber parts shiny with silicone looked nice. Almost everything in there was white and crusty with layer after layer of the stuff.

WhiteXKR 08-10-2012 10:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think if the window rolls up smoothly it is unlikely the damage is from pressure.

Nevertheless, when you replace the glass, you may have to tweak the adjustments, which are in the attached document.

Some are also in this video:

PaulJ 08-10-2012 12:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a photo showing the crack very hard taking a picture with an auto focus camera as kept focusing on the trees behind, in the end used the Jaguar handbook holder behind glass, also one showing it is toughened.

Picking at it seems almost as though it is a scratch as very shallow and it has cut into a layer of plastic as not sharp.

Attachment 22350 Attachment 22351.

GGG 08-10-2012 01:39 PM

A serious scratch. It looks so deep you're lucky the glass hasn't shattered.

Has the appearance of vandalism rather than due to anything in the hood folding or window lowering process.............

Graham

JSC 08-10-2012 02:22 PM

I agree with GGG - window would have shattered instead of crack. (Learned from a prior experience on a Toyota!)

Still sounds like vandalism or attempt to get the door open with something like a clothes hanger...

PaulJ 08-10-2012 02:39 PM

You both maybe right as I couldn't see how you could get that much leverage on the glass and as was said it would tend to shatter anyway.

As its on inside I suppose something like a coat hanger is possible so grateful it withstood the attack. I wonder if that would set off alarm

bluexk8ragtop 08-10-2012 03:40 PM

Good day,

I know this may sound foolish, but it looks like the tint may have just created that line over time... I'm not positive there is tint on the glass, but the picture of the words also has a mark that looks like tint damage... Just a thought...

Cheers!!!