Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   "Cruise control not avail/check rear lights" (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/cruise-control-not-avail-check-rear-lights-219779/)

SamtheSham 06-28-2019 06:34 PM

"Cruise control not avail/check rear lights"

So these are the caution lights that suddenly displayed after about 20 minutes of driving on I-75 in S. Florida as I am bringing my new to me 2006 blk. Victory Ed. XK8 home to S.W. Fla. Had been running with the cruise control on a bit to check it out, due to the typical S.Florida drivers I had tapped my brakes to slow down, then the caution lite advised a msg, and the above lite began flashing(it alternated, Cruise-Check). I stopped at a rest area to 'pause for the cause', waited about 15 minutes, got back in and all was good. Ran the cruise control for about 45 minutes, tapped it off again for traffic, and again it failed and displayed same combination of lights, all the way to my home. When I got home, I checked my rear lights and could not find any rear lights inop, and when my wife was following, she did not notice any brake lights inop.
Does anyone have any ideas??
I am starting to work thru the car and see what needs to be done to thsi "New to me" car. I am sure there will be more renovation to be done to this 92,000 mi, but pretty good condition car.

rothwell 06-28-2019 07:11 PM

Sam its a common problem with the brake light switch above the pedal.

Search for that and you will see that, other than it being in a cramped location, the fix is simple.

SamtheSham 06-28-2019 07:21 PM

Great!! Is it just a relocation of wires, or a switch that is in a bade location? I will be down under the panel tomorrow when I get a chance to look at it. Thx for the info.

rothwell 06-28-2019 08:22 PM

The switch needs to be either replaced or repaired. I went for the new one @ about $150.

Lots of info here

lluckyx4 06-29-2019 01:30 AM

I had a similar problem, plus it impacted most of the switches on the center control panel. Turns out, the tech found a short in the headlight leveling switch. They seem to be on the same circuit. 2006 XK8 convertible with 104,000 miles located in Dayton, Ohio

SamtheSham 06-29-2019 05:56 AM

Looks like the Repair saga($$$$) begins. I hope it is not too difficult to reach as I try to do as much repair as possible, and I am not exactly the smallest person in my neighbor hood. Will try to check it out today. Don't suppose there is a Ford/Lincoln exchange part??

darbysan 06-29-2019 09:46 AM

You might also want to check the wiring connections on the rear taillights. The ground is a problem. You may find one of the wires on each side burned / melted due to bad ground. Have someone operate the brakes, turn signals, lights, etc while you watch from the rear ( or use your cellphone video recorder). If you see strange patterns in how the lights work, it's likely the ground. Not too hard to fix.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...esolved-35083/

Redline 06-29-2019 10:51 AM

Contact forum member John Sullivan at john_sullivan@bmc.com. He has rebuilt brake switches in stock or can rebuild yours asap for peanuts ($).

SamtheSham 07-11-2019 07:39 AM

I ended up replacing the switch, and the problem still persists. Checking now for possible problem in the microswitches in the 'J' gate area(connected to the shift/reverse switching. Will look at the headlight leveling connections if that doesn't work. All rear/backup/brake lights work fine.

SamtheSham 07-19-2019 08:20 AM

My mech has replaced the switch 2 times(2 switches) so I know I have good switch, checked connections from brakes to headlights, cruise control, still get the caution light and advisory,"Cruise ConT/RRLtNAval". I am considering pulling Cruise Control Fuse to see if that will stop light, maybe resetting it will help. Need to find fuse. Anyone know the location before I start search through the manual??

frankc 07-20-2019 03:56 PM

Personally I still think its that switch above the pedal. Its a pig to get to. I had to lay back with my head on the pedal. Feet in the air etc.

Have you actually replaced it?

This is what happened to me click me to read

SamtheSham 07-21-2019 07:09 AM

I have a "pint sized" mechanic buddy who fits under the dash( I am 'large economy size, no wat would I fit). we replaced the switch twice, just to be sure it was not a bad switch. Still the same results.
Starting to think it might be in the cruise control module. Light comes on anywhere from 2-5 miles after start up. Seems to take time to heat up??