Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Cruise control Not On/Check rear Lights? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/cruise-control-not-check-rear-lights-60007/)

govatos 08-29-2011 03:43 PM

Cruise control Not On/Check rear Lights?

I get this message occasionally. I always seems to go away the next time I start my car. Any idea what may cause it and how the cruise control and the rear lights are related?

SteveJacks 08-29-2011 07:01 PM

Brake light switch is bad. Search the forum, there is plenty of info on this problem, and it is not too difficult or expensive to repair.

Reverend Sam 08-29-2011 08:55 PM

I disagree with the "not too difficult" part. I make videos of everything I do on the car, but the video of this was just three hours of me cussing and swearing and yelling. I didn't bother to post it. Removing the brake switch is a breeze, but putting it back in was nearly impossible for me. I even removed the driver's seat and laid on my back on the floor. I eventually got it back in, but it's not something I want to do again.

oldmots 08-30-2011 06:56 AM

Based on your comments, last week, I had my indie shop guys replace the brake switch when they changed the tranny oil and filter. They told me it was a hard job and took two of them to do it, charged me $150 labor. It was money well spent to prevent having to lie on my back in the footwell. The rehab would have been much more.

SteveJacks 08-30-2011 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam (Post 398231)
I disagree with the "not too difficult" part. I make videos of everything I do on the car, but the video of this was just three hours of me cussing and swearing and yelling. I didn't bother to post it. Removing the brake switch is a breeze, but putting it back in was nearly impossible for me. I even removed the driver's seat and laid on my back on the floor. I eventually got it back in, but it's not something I want to do again.

I would guess that I got lucky. I had read the posts (Brake Switch Replacement How-To (W/ Pics) FAQ) which I found very helpful, espessially the chopsticks suggestion. After your post, I was reluctant, but based on your experience, I removed the seat at the start. I now that sometimes, regardless of what I am working on, car, house, etc, I have tried things that should be simple, and they are really difficult, and other times some stuff that should be really difficult aren't that bad. Maybe it is the alignment of the planets or something.

Reverend Sam 08-30-2011 09:41 AM

I think my biggest problem was that I wasn't depressing the brake pedal when trying to reinstall the switch. I was pressing it down as far as I could, but without the engine running there was no boost, therefore the brake pedal would only move an inch or so. I eventually got smart and started the car, and after doing that I was able to get the switch in place. If I did it all over again it might be easier. It's not something I want to do over, however.

Spurlee 08-30-2011 05:54 PM

Chopsticks!

SamtheSham 07-12-2019 07:31 AM

Going back thru the threads on the "Cruise control inop/Check rear lights" warnings, I finds your info. I have had my shop replace the switch, and now after a second switch(obviously, good switch), the light is still coming on), have you seen/heard of any other problems that would cause this warning to persist?. This is something that I can live with on my 2006 XK8 if need be, but would not like to. I see that there is a possible connection to the head light leveling switch, and will try to check this out, also some possible tie in to the switches in the 'J gate' shifter. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thx.

SamtheSham 07-19-2019 08:08 AM

After replacing 2 switches, going through the wiring from brake lights to front head lights, cruise control included, the caution light, "Cruise control not avail/check rear lights" advisor still comes on anywhere from 2 miles to 6 miles after start up. My mech and I have about decided that it a problem I will have to live with. All rear lights work, just he cruise control is inop. I am thinking of pulling the Cruise control fuse to see if that will stop the light(maybe pull and reset). See if that will solve the problem. First I have to find the Fuse. WIll have to trace it through the manual. Anyone know where it is??

RJ237 07-19-2019 08:41 AM

JTIS has a trouble shooting sequence for the cruise control. It's a process of checking voltage at various points including the clockspring and buttons in the steering wheel. My 97 had a bad connection to the radio switches ground, which is used for the cruise buttons. I'm doubt that is your problem, but following the JTIS procedure may prove useful.

Charbinjr 07-22-2019 09:01 AM

ACC module

Originally Posted by RJ237 (Post 2101064)
JTIS has a trouble shooting sequence for the cruise control. It's a process of checking voltage at various points including the clockspring and buttons in the steering wheel. My 97 had a bad connection to the radio switches ground, which is used for the cruise buttons. I'm doubt that is your problem, but following the JTIS procedure may prove useful.

I posted a new ACC Module in members marketplace if needed.

SamtheSham 07-22-2019 05:56 PM

Where is the ACC module installed?