XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two (2)assualts in one night, can you believe it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts
Unhappy Two (2)assualts in one night, can you believe it?

I am very saddened, on Saturday night 10/29/11 My wife and I went to dinner and I was in a double left only turn lane (major down town street) with light and a guy in a tundra truck on the inside lane(Left)decided to go straight and I was in outside lane(right) and made the left turn as I was signaling and I was supposed to do, the drivers side rear wheel well, crunch! dissolved ! Then coming home from dinner (no alcohol) traveling on major road a girl made a left turn from resort hotel and did not see me, crunch the front passenger head lamp and wheel. This is my sad story I guess I missed my horoscope that morning, should of stayed in bed!
My car is a 2001 XKR convertible, the color, Roman Bronze, in my book, the best color by far for a Jag ever made, it was only done one year 2001. The damage did not seem all that bad but definitely some serious damage, no air bags were deployed. The car was pristine from 10 feet away, you would not know it was not NEW. Ok the body shop got hold of it, the rear wheel well estimate was 2260.00, estimates are being done separately to keep the different insurance co. from co -mingling claims.
The front end damage, the estimator said it could total the car because of the cost of parts, the most expensive being a totalled power steering gear to right wheel for 4K. Even the wheel was cracked, head light assembly caput, anyway he said he can probably get around the insurance company from totalling the car. Wow, it just did not seem all that bad. Ok my question to anyone in the know, the paint job is most important to me, that takes real know how and expertise, the parts repair are pretty much put new parts in and if done correctly everything fine(I know it is not quite that simple but if the mechanic is on his game the repair should not be a big deal) but the paint job needs to be done correctly, that is where you people can help me out. What should I be asking the painter about? What type of paint will be used, how many coats sprayed, what about clear coat? I know the prep is a big, big deal. What about removal of factory paint? For the most part the paint is in great condition all over, except newly damaged areas. According to shop all but 2 panels will be painted so I am considering to pay out of pocket for the rest of car, does not seem right to not paint the entire car when that much is going to be painted anyway and of course the insurance co. won't go the extra 25% so it will cost me about 700.00 out of pocket. But I want to make sure the job looks FACTORY quality. Can this be achieved??? The estimator says the paint guy is good , the best he's seen. But I ask you again, what should I ask to make sure I get quality factory Finish? I don't want to blow the deal for a couple hundred bucks to make job best it can be. I plan on keeping the car another 4 - 5 years, maybe decide to keep as a classic and stop driving it. It is a beauty . I just had complete tensioners and chains done as well as other mechanical repairs through out the year, so I believe the car can easily last that and even much longer.
Obviously the mechanical repair part is very important, but I trust this shop as they have done quite a bit of repairs for me on my Jaguar XKR 2001 and have always been straight shooters, but have not had any experience with their collision and paint division, but I tend to think if they are good and have not pulled any boners over the year they will done good for this major repair, but I also want to be able to ask educated questions and make suggestions and decisions that make sense. So I appreciate any advice you experts out there will take the time and effort to help me out, I thank you in advance and apologize for me lengthy story, but I thought it was important for you if you are to take the time to help and know it will not go to waste on someone who does not really care. Thanks.
P.S.. While I love all Jaguars, the XKR's, the older models 2001 to 2006 are by far best looking, better than the newer models 2008 and up, although I'm sure there have been many improvement in the newer ones, I still love the older models and the Roman Bronze color is by far the best color produced, of course only in my opinion.
Thanks again.
P.S.. No one was hurt or injured in either assault. That is only good thing..

Old 11-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. I had a '00 XK8 killed at an intersection after a year of restoration work. Bummer.

Two thoughts on the paint: I would certainly paint the entire car if only 2 panels are left and . . . working backwards, you seem to be saying that the car will be completely painted for $2800.

Even though I have painted a couple cars in my restoration career I would in no way take on trying to duplicate the Jaguar original factory paint.

The $2800 does not buy a paint job appropriate to these cars in my opinion.

Even with the best quality paint work you would also be entitled to some amount of depreciation for the damage history.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Received 169 Likes on 84 Posts

Could you post some pics please?

Old 11-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Is this a Jag dealer you're working with for the mechanical repair and body shop?

Old 11-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts

ok, thanks for the replies already. Answer your questions. Do not know the entire cost of paint job yet, the 2 and (most extensive) estimate is not done yet so there is no way of knowing cost of paint job yet, if ever since there will be two different estimates. Do not have pictures of damage the car is in shop now, don't really want to remember anyway. No, the repair shop is not a Jaguar dealer, there is only one dealer in phoenix metro area now (5th largest city in US, amazing huh!) and the service is the worst! Very expensive(ok, that is a given for all Jaguar dealers) but there is no excuse for the really bad attitudes they have. I would rather own a Mercedes, than go to the local dealership for Jaguar service. I prefer not to own a car that almost everybody else has, but it comes with a few downfalls too!
Hope to hear from more of you, with ideas about paint jobs. Thanks

Old 11-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

When my car suffered hail damage I asked about a total repaint of the car. To do a "factory job" they wanted $6000. They do very good work, but that was out of my price range.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, I must throw my 2 cents worth in. I have had a couple of wrecks where they did not look that bad. One being a 325IC that was rear ended. The estimated repairs were not that much but I stood firm that they owed me at least as nice a car as I had before the wreck, nothing more but just as good. There was no previous paint work done, it was all 1 color, painted at the same time at the factory. They owed me a car that was all one color and also would not fade differently as time passed. New paint will fade differently as time goes by and I have seen a lot of cars that have very apparent differences in paint. I was very serious in the fact that they owed me a car that was all one color and would not have panels that would fade differently as time passed. Also I wanted all of the chrome, lights, glass, etc, removed from the car so I did not have to look at paint edges where they taped things off. Needless to say, they totaled the car. They have to give you what you had before the wrecks, nothing more, but positively nothing less. It may mean the car gets totaled, but if you really want to keep the car the insurance company will usually let you buy it back for salvage value. This has happened to me a couple of times, I have a real hard time with cars that have had parts of them repainted. You have to stand your ground and be firm that they owe you what you lost, a pristine car with all matching paint.

Also, insurance companies think everyone is in a hurry to make a settlement. If you have the luxury of time you can get a lot better settlement from the insurance that if you have to have you car fixed immediately. That is what they are banking on. Most people will just settle to get it over with.

Sorry for my ramblings, but don't let the insurance company take advantage of you.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Not sure you have the same rules in the States but here in the UK you can do a contract repair, what this means you get given the maximum you are willing to haggle for, the car does not get totalled and you put the rest to the amount to get the job you want.

What most do is instead of buying new parts as you would with a claim you buy secondhand, saving a small fortune you can then spend on the paint job.

Basically once the insurance company has paid out, you take on the responsibility of the repair, you can have it fixed by anyone you want, any how you want.

Might be worth the ask

Old 11-02-2011, 02:51 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer
Not sure you have the same rules in the States but here in the UK you can do a contract repair, what this means you get given the maximum you are willing to haggle for, the car does not get totalled and you put the rest to the amount to get the job you want.

What most do is instead of buying new parts as you would with a claim you buy secondhand, saving a small fortune you can then spend on the paint job.

Basically once the insurance company has paid out, you take on the responsibility of the repair, you can have it fixed by anyone you want, any how you want.

Might be worth the ask
+1. This is also possible in France. You obviously need to keep your wits about you, but as XKRacer says, it might be worth a shot.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Pity you are having to deal with 2 insurance companies.

I'd go the full trip and have the whole car painted, from what you have said.

And +1 with XK and Frog, if you have time, you can usually work an advantageous deal out.