XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom seat skins and door panels? Opinions? Don't hold back!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts
Default Custom seat skins and door panels? Opinions? Don't hold back!!

I know there are purists out there that will be glad to blast me for my newest obsession! After seeing the Burberry edition XK8 post, I really want to totally customize my interior!!

I just purchased two authentic GUCCI black embossed leather sofa cushion cover from a real GUCCI sofa. (A Gucci sofa starts at 15,000.00 in monogram leather)
I only paid 250 for the salvaged, never used covers. I was going to cover four chairs with the leather but now I'm thinking about having my seat inserts replaced with them and the door panels above the pocket. If enough, even the rear seats centers. I was planning on doing something radical anyway!!
Now, I know what a lot of you are thinking and I know there's a fine line between hooptie/chavy mods. But this is really subtle, black on black, and since the GUCCI Fiat is my other obsession car, it makes perfect sense to me.

I don't plan to stick gold GG emblems all over it or anything like that but I tend to live for shock value!! Lets face it, I put a black leaper on my XK8!!!!!!
That being said, I do have an old GUCCI belt buckle that would be a sweet badge on the left rear side opposite the XK8 badge! It even looks like a car badge!!

Old 07-21-2013, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member

Custom seat skins and door panels? Opinions? Don't hold back!!-image.jpg

Here's the leather in question.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Okay, per your request I won't hold back....

Do you have a spending limit absolutely non-negotiable cut-off figure in mind for your car? If not, I would seriously consider establishing one before you sink another dollar into it....

Old 07-21-2013, 09:25 AM
GGG
Received 16,767 Likes on 12,155 Posts

The Gucci logo is my initials so no criticism on this upgrade from me.

Joking aside, it'll take a skilled craftsman to do the seat inserts properly.

Graham

Old 07-21-2013, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
The Gucci logo is my initials so no criticism on this upgrade from me.

Joking aside, it'll take a skilled craftsman to do the seat inserts properly.

Graham
Well, I have contacts in the furniture industry living in Hickory NC so I can get the sewing done for free, and they work with very high end pieces so I think the quality will be good. They repaired my XJS side panel on my driver seat and it looked factory.
As for a spending limit? NO!!! I love to modify my cars and do try to keep reasonable but when I get on a roll, the money flows!! That being said, I am aware that my mods don't really help in resale and sometimes even effect the value. I've never purchased a car for resale value. I think that's like a prenup for an engagement. Usually a precursor for divorce! !lol

And now I know who to sell it to if I EVER let it go!! GGG!!!

Old 07-21-2013, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

"Opinions. Don't hold back." You are truly brave or a masochist. OK, here goes.

I think the leather for just the inserts and door panels would look good and be a very unique touch. However, added with all the other mods (and I expect more to come), it is getting to be too much. You used the word obsessed I believe.

Don't become like those people addicted to plastic surgery and end up with a caricature of a Jag. Too much can be, well, too much.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:12 AM
Received 673 Likes on 486 Posts
Default I'll look good but won't be cheap

Originally Posted by philhef
I know there are purists out there that will be glad to blast me for my newest obsession! After seeing the Burberry edition XK8 post, I really want to totally customize my interior!!

I just purchased two authentic GUCCI black embossed leather sofa cushion cover from a real GUCCI sofa. (A Gucci sofa starts at 15,000.00 in monogram leather)
I only paid 250 for the salvaged, never used covers. I was going to cover four chairs with the leather but now I'm thinking about having my seat inserts replaced with them and the door panels above the pocket. If enough, even the rear seats centers. I was planning on doing something radical anyway!!
Now, I know what a lot of you are thinking and I know there's a fine line between hooptie/chavy mods. But this is really subtle, black on black, and since the GUCCI Fiat is my other obsession car, it makes perfect sense to me.

I don't plan to stick gold GG emblems all over it or anything like that but I tend to live for shock value!! Lets face it, I put a black leaper on my XK8!!!!!!
That being said, I do have an old GUCCI belt buckle that would be a sweet badge on the left rear side opposite the XK8 badge! It even looks like a car badge!!

Done right it should look great, but if it were me, I'd look at upgrading the seats at the same time. Leather changes are an expensive mod and the seats in the car tend to be a weak point anyway. Looking forward to the pictures!

Old 07-21-2013, 10:19 AM
GGG
Received 16,767 Likes on 12,155 Posts

.................. And now I know who to sell it to if I EVER let it go!! GGG!!!
It would have to have the right registration too!

Custom seat skins and door panels? Opinions? Don't hold back!!-dsc_0010b.jpg

Graham

Old 07-21-2013, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jag#4
"Opinions. Don't hold back." You are truly brave or a masochist. OK, here goes.

I think the leather for just the inserts and door panels would look good and be a very unique touch. However, added with all the other mods (and I expect more to come), it is getting to be too much. You used the word obsessed I believe.

Don't become like those people addicted to plastic surgery and end up with a caricature of a Jag. Too much can be, well, too much.
Good point! We call the plastic surgery nightmare victims "trouts"!!

In my defense, I really try not to modify my car with anything that is not actually something you could find on the car. I think the Arden kit, inset mesh grille with badge, victory tail lights, even the black finished factory wheels all look like it could have been ordered that way. Even my caliper covers with jaguar badging look quite factory. (My local dealer is ordering to sell as add ons)
My only mods that IMO walk the line would be the tinted fog lights, front leaper (which is not drilled, only badge taped on so easily removed) and the led rings in headlights. The hood bulges came with the Arden kit and easily removed, which I'm thinking about if I can ever find an actual XKR bonnet to swap. I love the louvers.
The only other exterior things I want to do are:
Lower rear 2"
Update headlight lenses to 2006 black (my current ones leak anyway)
And better tailpipes in the arden rear bumper. (Existing has a dent)
Oh, and remove the side door rub strips.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Years ago, and lasting for a couple deacdes, American car builders went thru their "designer phase" on luxury cars. Biarritz Cadillacs, Bill Blass Lincolns, etc. This was on top of the already common gold emblems and crests, "Brougham" trim packages, opera lights, faux convertible tops, "anniversary editions"....blah blah blah.

In the late 80s/early 90s Jaguar, apparently unable to resist temptation and, naturally anxious for more sales, abandoed good taste and came on board with the "Rouge Edition" XJS and "LeMans XJS" and a couple other dolled-up cars models with fru-fru "stuff" added on.

I never cared for that sort of thing but, hey, I'm conservative in my tastes. I've always associated Jaguar with understatement, not overstatement, so I've never quite approved when Jag designers have gone over to the dark side with gaudy colors and trim packages. It all seems so "gold nugget pinky ring" to me, if you get what I mean.

IMHO Jaguar is more "Savile Row" than Gucci anyway. I know people who own Savile Row suits. They never go around announcing "Look at me! Look at me! I'm wearing Savile Row. Wanna see the label?"

As for appearance mods in general I'll always vote (not surprsingly) to stay conservative. A little bit goes a long way. I don't care what kind of car it is you don't want the inside looking like a brothel nor the outside looking like a 14 year girl's efforts at applying make-up...and not kowing when to stop ! So, when I hear about someone who loves modfications and has an unlimited budget I get a little nervous.

Well, that's my take on the matter. You asked and I answered

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Jag#4 (07-21-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

I agree totally with over the top modifications. Like I said, I tend to modify with actual jaguar parts or at least respected , ie arden, aftermarket parts. And believe me, even some of those are too much!!
I've seen some nightmare modifications on this sight and they keep me in perspective. That being said, some of us like to put our own stamps on our cars. If my XK8 had been pristine and original, I would probably have left it as such but it was in rough condition. I've actually put more into reversing years of neglect to the engine.
I actually do have a limit to what I will spend on my car outside of mechanical. Sometimes I find a good deal as with the wheels and tires. My tires were shot when I bought it and the chrome wheels were pitted and peeling. I found the black powder coated wheels with almost new tires for 1200.00. I couldn't have replaced tires and wheels for less so hence the black wheels!
I felt VERY validated on what I've done at the JCNA event this weekend. Everyone said It looked amazing and even some of the elder monarchy were impressed!!
I'm never insulted by someone's disapproval of what I do to my cars. Heck, wouldn't it be boring as HELL on this forum if not for we brave few that go to far?!?! (And some go WAY WAY too far!)
Actually I think we need a thread on what really is too far!! Maybe I should change the name on this one!! Now that sounds like fun!! I tend to tease the animals!!

Last edited by philhef; 07-21-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Years ago, and lasting for a couple deacdes, American car builders went thru their "designer phase" on luxury cars. Biarritz Cadillacs, Bill Blass Lincolns, etc. This was on top of the already common gold emblems and crests, "Brougham" trim packages, opera lights, faux convertible tops, "anniversary editions"....blah blah blah.

In the late 80s/early 90s Jaguar, apparently unable to resist temptation and, naturally anxious for more sales, abandoed good taste and came on board with the "Rouge Edition" XJS and "LeMans XJS" and a couple other dolled-up cars models with fru-fru "stuff" added on.

I never cared for that sort of thing but, hey, I'm conservative in my tastes. I've always associated Jaguar with understatement, not overstatement, so I've never quite approved when Jag designers have gone over to the dark side with gaudy colors and trim packages. It all seems so "gold nugget pinky ring" to me, if you get what I mean.

IMHO Jaguar is more "Savile Row" than Gucci anyway. I know people who own Savile Row suits. They never go around announcing "Look at me! Look at me! I'm wearing Savile Row. Wanna see the label?"

As for appearance mods in general I'll always vote (not surprsingly) to stay conservative. A little bit goes a long way. I don't care what kind of car it is you don't want the inside looking like a brothel nor the outside looking like a 14 year girl's efforts at applying make-up...and not kowing when to stop ! So, when I hear about someone who loves modfications and has an unlimited budget I get a little nervous.

Well, that's my take on the matter. You asked and I answered

Cheers
DD
I'll fess up. In the 80's I had the Lincoln Versace edition!!

Old 07-21-2013, 01:42 PM
Received 673 Likes on 486 Posts
Default You and me both

I tend to tease the animals!!
And it is fun.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

The hood bulges came with the Arden kit and easily removed, which I'm thinking about if I can ever find an actual XKR bonnet to swap. I love the louvers.
+1 on removing the bulges; aka Dolly Partons.

Since you like the hood vents, you might contact your local hot rod shop. Someone with the right equipment can add vents to any piece of metal. It was the hot setup on hot rods some years ago and is making a comeback with the rat rods. You could keep your original hood and shape the vents any way you wanted for a real custom look (tasteful please).

Old 07-21-2013, 02:51 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Go for it the more cars that get butchered the more mine will be worth. Sorry but you said don't hold back

Old 07-21-2013, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lorwood
Go for it the more cars that get butchered the more mine will be worth. Sorry but you said don't hold back
Hey, just remember butchering a cow results in filet mignon!!
Lol!

Old 07-21-2013, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member

Now, would having a custom black suede headliner and seat inserts be less offensive?
Or, I also have a black plaid Burberry garment bag I thought of using. At least for the seats and doors.

What I wonder is if age of the viewer has anything to do with approval or disapproval of modifications. At the jag event this weekend, the older the person, the more they balked at modifications. Many were the same guys that also frowned at the new XF and XJ in the competition. The guys in their 30's and 40's were really positive in their comments while the only negative comments really came from much older guys. Of course implying I raped a vestal virgin!! Lol

As for the "lady lumps" on my car, I'm too lazy to take them off and I have a lead on an XKR bonnet! So those will eventually be gone.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jag#4
+1 on removing the bulges; aka Dolly Partons.

Since you like the hood vents, you might contact your local hot rod shop. Someone with the right equipment can add vents to any piece of metal. It was the hot setup on hot rods some years ago and is making a comeback with the rat rods. You could keep your original hood and shape the vents any way you wanted for a real custom look (tasteful please).
Ok, now, I'm actually working on getting a real XKR bonnet. I looked into purchasing the vents and installing them on my existing bonnet but I didn't want them to sit proud of the surface.
Yet, I stuck those stupid lady lumps on there! Go figure!! Heck, they were free with the Arden ground effects kit and it's only badge tape holding them on!!

Old 07-21-2013, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Well, let's see what is too much...

24" wheels, Neon lights under the car, Any spoiler higher than 6" above the boot lid, Animal print anything.

Other that that I'm good with it! I am in the 50+ crowd but tend to think like a 20-something when it comes to cars. I see a motor vehicle as a blank canvas waiting for the artist's touch. If you are more Andy Warhol than Rembrandt, so be it.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cat Man Do
Well, let's see what is too much...

24" wheels, Neon lights under the car, Any spoiler higher than 6" above the boot lid, Animal print anything.

Other that that I'm good with it! I am in the 50+ crowd but tend to think like a 20-something when it comes to cars. I see a motor vehicle as a blank canvas waiting for the artist's touch. If you are more Andy Warhol than Rembrandt, so be it.
So..... I guess my summer leopard seat covers and new led rim rings are out????

KIDDING!!!! Lol

By the way, I like the way you think!! I'm more of a Modigliani!!

Last edited by philhef; 07-21-2013 at 08:57 PM.