Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Damaged front undertray. (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/damaged-front-undertray-217999/)

Plastic Paddy 05-19-2019 04:30 PM

Damaged front undertray.

99 XK8 Convertible. Poor roads and speed bumps have resulted in the front undertray being removed. Whilst looking for a replacement is there any reason why it shouldn’t be driven? Thanks.

Barry_Tucker 05-20-2019 06:49 AM

other than looking ugly...don't think so.

Plastic Paddy 05-20-2019 08:10 AM

Thanks for the response Barry, my concern was about the rigidity of the underside of the bodywork. Does the undertray hold it together and if it’s been removed would there be an issue?

GGG 05-20-2019 08:15 AM

The undertray (apparently) gives two benefits:

1. improved airflow through the radiator and under the car
2. makes the front bumper stiffer

Without the undertray in place, the front bumper is only secured around the top edge. The undertray fastened to the bottom edge makes it more of an open box with greater structural integrity.

That being said, there's lots of XK8/XKR's running around with broken or missing undertrays .....

Graham

fmertz 05-20-2019 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Plastic Paddy (Post 2073113)
Poor roads and speed bumps have resulted in the front undertray being removed.

Take this as a suggestion to double check your ride height. Chances are the car is riding low because of failed upper strut mounts (they all fail over time). Find the Vehicle Spec Book on jagrepair.com and measure the ride height as specified. It is a simple measurement that will tell you a lot.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

PS: From memory, this undertray also holds the bottom of the inner wheel well liner. If missing, the air flow may push that liner into the tire and wear it out.

zray 05-20-2019 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by GGG (Post 2073370)
"...... being said, there's lots of XK8/XKR's running around with broken or missing undertrays ..... Graham

after a 80 mph wrestling match in the dark with a black alligator ( i.e. a truck tire carcass ), my under tray was ripped clean off. Have driven about 5,000 miles since then. No change in engine coolant or oil temperatures.

Originally Posted by fmertz (Post 2073385)
".....PS: From memory, this undertray also holds the bottom of the inner wheel well liner. If missing, the air flow may push that liner into the tire and wear it out.

I used a couple of zip ties to hold the wheel liner tight against the bumper. Can't see them unless you are on your back under the car. Bumper and wheel liner don't have any more movement than they did before the "incident".

I've been looking for a decent used under-tray and the lower snorkel for the alternator. So far I've discovered there are no used ones in good condition.

Z