XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Deal or No Deal" on 2001 XK8 with Salvage Title

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Deal or No Deal" on 2001 XK8 with Salvage Title

I am not one to take big chances, but I have a line on a 2001 XK8 salvage title car with 89,000 miles at a very low price.. Runs well.. Looks pretty good, but needs some detailing, leather dye, buff out and clean-up. The convertible top goes down, but needs help getting back up- so I know that we have a hydraulic/top ram or hose update issue. The big negative is the salvage title. The seller says it was due to rear end impact a few years ago, but there are no signs of it and the car looks pretty good.. They cannot tell me if timing chain tensioners were done, so I need to figure that... So here is my question... The are asking 3700 for it, and I can probably get them to take a little less, so I am assuming that the car parts could be worth that much.. Even if I budget 3000 for updates and repairs I would still own it for under $7000..? Just curious to get some input from other XK8 experts on this car at this price---Is it a no brainer at that price?---or I am deluding myself because of the price?

Update: I now have carfax which shows rebuilt title due to "left rear impact with stationary object" with airbag deployment in 2002 when there were 34,000 miles on car.. I also has some subsequent service records at Jaguar dealers and has been driven 60,000 miles since then, so i believe the repairs were done reasonably well...

Last edited by donfenn; 07-18-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

As long as you are not buying it to flip and with the intention of enjoying it that seems a very reasonable price. I would also add that cars of this age and complexity should be owned by hobby mechanics. If you can see the need to have someone else do the work then run away.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

On the details provided I'd say your thinking and cost estimates are sound also as test point mentioned a salvaged title can present resale issues so buyer beware. Also with a XK8 you need one of two things - either the skills to do your own repairs or the skills to earn the money to pay someone else to do repairs. These are great cars but can be a PIA when they act up and expensive if you are paying labor for repairs. I'm a fairly competent shade tree mechanic and so far have not found anything I could not repair myself with a lot of help from the great folks on this forum.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

The salvage title doesn't bother me (I've owned at least a dozen salvage cars and still own two of them), so long as it was repaired properly and drives and rides well. But, if you're doing tensioners, roof repair (and it could be the pump, leaking lines, actuator....), and a host of other little repairs, you will quickly be at that $7000 mark or considerably higher. If you're going to do those repairs right away and be at $7-9000 anyway, then why not look at cars that have had those issues addressed already and have a clear title. If you plan on doing the repairs over a period of time, then I understand. But there are cars out there in nice condition at the completed price. Look around.

Attached Thumbnails "Deal or No Deal" on 2001 XK8 with Salvage Title-dscf1188-1280x960-.jpg  
Old 07-18-2014, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

Donfen,
You got good advice here, I'm just going to add to it. If you plan on keeping the car then it might be a good deal for you. If you can do your own work and have the time and space to do it, go for it. You don't need to be a master mechanic, plenty of forum members can give you guidance and there is a wealth of knowledge posted in the stickies under the XK8/XkR section. If you take it to the dealer for repairs and service your $3000 budget will be eaten up just doing the secondary cam chain tensioners. I did mine in a Saturday for about $300.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Yup. Branded title or not, there's nothing more expensive than an inexpensive Jag

Cheers
DD

Old 07-19-2014, 08:20 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If the doors, hood, & trunk close perfect, then get a 4 wheel alignment check along with a good review of the underside. If all checks out ok, then I'd have at it. My one salvage (VW) is still running sweet in the hands of the neighbour now with over 200,000 mi. Best of luck.
Cheers
TheCounty

Old 07-19-2014, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Four years ago I bought a 2005 Honda with a branded title, saving about 40% versus a non-branded car. Of course the car will always be worth much less but since the plan is to simply drive it untill the wheels fall off I don't really care.

So far the car has been a gem. It's certainly no Jaguar, though

Cheers
DD

Old 07-19-2014, 11:30 AM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Got For It!

Good advice here already.
My two cents: You've obviously done the research on the Jag and it appears that the issue with the title is all that remains. The negative, already cited, is that resale value is greatly reduced, but while you may not get as much for the Jag when you sell it, you can buy it at a good price. If you plan to drive it "until the wheels fall off" the value then is a non-issue.
The other potential problem with a salvage title is that some insurance companies will only provide liability insurance. However, at least one insurer, Hagerty, is willing to insure a prior salvage titled car with comprehensive coverage at a reasonable price.
So, my free advice is buy it and enjoy.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:24 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Salvage

I'm doing a salvage car project myself at the moment, a 2008 A3 3.2 Audi. The more complex the car the higher the risk and you want to make damn sure it isn't a flood car. Pull a CarFax if you can and verify the damage is as represented. I used CarFax and CarChex and there was still a few things that got missed (one of them big). I've had one troubled Jag in my life, a 1964 coupe that was raced and left me a little shell shocked (damn near broke me) so you want to make sure all of the electronics actually work and there are no major engine issues (main bearings, fuel rail, compression etc.) and that the frame is straight. Any of these things is wicked expensive to correct. Use a code reader to check for any failure codes and make sure it is showing the P1111 code so that you know they weren't recently cleared. USAA is another firm that will fully ensure a salvage car. Finally, as others have indicated, you'll likely have to drive the car into the ground because selling it will be ugly. They make great hobby cars if you take extra care in the purchase but there are a lot of scams on salvage cars at the moment (mostly flood cars) and you do need to take extra care as a result. Flood cars aren't worth the risk for free due to hidden corrosion issues.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input.. I passed on this one... It looked really good, but seller was not a "do-it yourself type" and he could not even show me a receipt or record of an oil change during the two years he owned it. I asked him where he had the car serviced and he said he forgot.. That just made me think that there is more than meets the eye on this one....

Old 07-19-2014, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

yea if he pleaded I FORGOT when asked where or when he has had it serviced, RUN RUN RUN away from the car, hell most any car in that case. When a seller is playing dumb to easy questions, RED FLAG for me.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:54 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Agree

Something is really screwy if on a salvage car that has been repaired the owner plays Sgt. Schultz (I know NOTHING, I see NOTHING). Skipping was wise.