Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Disconnecting Battery (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/disconnecting-battery-73992/)

knowledge 05-26-2012 12:30 PM

Disconnecting Battery

I found corrosion on my negative battery cable. I want to disconnect and clean thoroughly. Is there anything I should know before doing this? Do the radios have theft codes? Will anything have to be manually reset after the disconnect?
I have a Silver/Black 2002 xkr. Thanks.

Norri 05-26-2012 12:45 PM

There shouldn't be a safety code.
You will need to reset the windows and the radio pre-sets.

GGG 05-26-2012 01:50 PM

If you've got terminal corrosion issues, it's worth checking the battery age as these vehicles are very sensitive to battery condition.

With the original factory fitted Varta batteries, the manufacturing date is stamped on the top of one of the terminals. Code is MM/YY for month and year. Anything over five years old is on borrowed time.

Graham

hdsg 05-26-2012 02:52 PM

you may konw this safety tip

Hey there:

Just in case you dont know there is a proper sequence. When disconnecting battery take off the negative first, then take off positive. When connecting connect positive first then negative. If you slip or touch the car body when removing the positive if your negative is disconnected you will not make a circuit and short the battery ( not nice ). Thats if you are not using a rubberized wrench.

Howard

knowledge 05-26-2012 02:53 PM

Thanks all. The negative battery terminal crumbled when I tried to take the nut off. Of course the dealership is closed already so I will have to wait until Monday. The window presets....Is that reset for the rear quarter windows to go down when the top is activated? I guess I better go search for that forum now. Thanks for the heads up. Today I was able to find and replace the blown fuse so I can charge my phone. I replaced the blown dash bulbs (should have waited and installed LED's) and completed battery maintenance. Battery is stamped 12-22-06. Sounds like it's time to replace it and prevent a break-down. anyone know the best source for a battery?

K.Westra 05-26-2012 03:58 PM

The window reset is just for the fronts. It is a simple completely down and hold until a faint click, the up completely and hold for a faint click. Simple and if you have owned one of these for a bit, you've probably already had to do it.

Dennis07 05-26-2012 04:06 PM

Suggestions:

Autozone for the battery. Good price, good quality.

Everything I had read said my car would not ask for a radio code after the battery swap. Seems nobody told the car about this. I got the needed code from the local dealer, but it would be good to do this step before the battery swap just in case.

Davebc 05-27-2012 11:10 AM

If for any reason you decide to remove the battery (or disconnect the negative) and leave your vehicle with the trunk closed, it would be a good idea to check that your key will open the trunk upon your return~have read elsewhere on this forum the key locks sometimes corrode and will not function due to lack of use! Fortunately my lock WAS working just fine when this happened to me!

knowledge 05-27-2012 02:38 PM

Dennis07...I wish I had read your response before disconnecting the battery as my car decided it wants a radio code now also. This sucks and blows at the same time if that were physically possible! Guess Im headed to the dealer Tuesday for the code. No music for the next two days. I got my negative cable and battery from Napa so at least I feel secure about that.

RJ237 05-27-2012 02:40 PM

Knowledge, I have battery from Sept 2011 that I will sell at a very reasonable price. I'm in Douglasville. PM me if you are interested.
RJ

RJ237 05-27-2012 02:42 PM

Oops, sorry, I didn't catch the message saying you bought a battery.
RJ

knowledge 05-28-2012 05:30 PM

Today I called the dealership and they gave me my radio code over the phone. Great!

motorcarman 05-28-2012 06:56 PM

NOW put the in U.S. mode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You won't have to enter the code every time the battery is disconnected.

bob gauff

knowledge 05-28-2012 08:00 PM

I would love to put it in the US mode? CAn anyone give me some instruction or is that something the dealer would also have to provide?

GGG 05-29-2012 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by knowledge (Post 520729)
I would love to put it in the US mode? CAn anyone give me some instruction or is that something the dealer would also have to provide?

I'm also interested to see Bob's reply but why worry now you have the code?

Disconnecting the battery loses the presets and it takes a whole lot longer to reset these than it does to punch in a four digit code.

Graham

steveinfrance 05-29-2012 03:59 AM

Knowledge - it looks as if there is a heap of things to do once you reconnect. With the help of Graham + some others I'm currently trying to compile a definitive list which I'll post as Things to do after a Battery Reconnect
Maybe a DemiGod will make it a sticky since I believe it is new information not covered in the forum.
There's bits all over the place but the current stuff is here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...gh-idle-74050/

Norri 05-29-2012 05:59 AM

Good idea Steve, I saw Grahams list yesterday, I'd no idea there was so much to do after a disconnect.

RJ237 05-29-2012 06:26 AM

I disconnected my battery several times and only had to reset the windows. The ECM took care of the high idle after a couple of minutes.

GGG 05-29-2012 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by RJ237 (Post 520868)
I disconnected my battery several times and only had to reset the windows. The ECM took care of the high idle after a couple of minutes.

The earlier 4.0 litres models didn't need all this extra attention after a battery disconnect - it's only the 4.2 litre models.

Graham

RJ237 05-29-2012 08:25 AM

So there are some advantages to owning an older car. Not many though, I'm sure.
RJ__________________
97 XK8 Conv 85K mi.