XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovered: Rev Sam's discovery (bet he doesn't even realize) Re: upper A arms

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts
Default Discovered: Rev Sam's discovery (bet he doesn't even realize) Re: upper A arms

I have recently replaced my front shocks and upper shock mounts - wow what a nice difference. Of course I studied Rev. Sam's video on this topic since this was my 1st time diving into this.

Well I did the driver's side first. Thank God for impact wrenches, but I really ran into a headache when I tried to remove the upper A arm's bolt. This is the one with the thick and thin spacers that you have to be careful of, I have heard it called wishbone, not sure which is correct A arm or wishbone.

Anyway I must have spent a half hour at least to get this bolt out. There is not much room to get a good angle to pound it out. Since it took so long to do the driver's side, I left the passenger side until the next day.

While I was getting my head around starting the passenger side I ran through Rev Sam's video in my mind - he too had a 30 minute battle with this bolt, but not the one on the video - what was the difference. Then it hit me: Rev Sam realizes after he gets the A arm bolt out, he forgot to unbolt, or even loosen the shock absorber lower bolt before removing the A arm bolt. Well I had to try it.

Well it worked. I spent about 3 minutes getting this same A arm bolt out with the shock lower mount bolt untouched!

Coincidence or discovery? I'm betting it is a discovery (thanks Rev Sam)
I suppose this will take 1 or 2 of us to validate it, but I wanted to let you know.

When I think about the driver's side where I had loosened the shock bolt - there was movement and weight shifts on the A arm mounts I bet that's why it was so hard to get the bolt out. Give it a try, I hope it works for you, it was a huge difference.

John

The following 2 users liked this post by Johnken:
JimC64 (07-08-2015), Majik Lasers (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

I did mine this way (not loosening lower bolt first) and my upper A-arm bolt came out with minimal fuss. Didn't plan it that way, just did it. Worked for both sides BTW.

Like you, not sure if this was the deciding factor, but it did make me come away wondering why everyone had such a hard time with this bolt.

Another possible factor is geography. Not much corrosion here from winter driving.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:55 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Good to know. I just received my shock mounts today with plans to tackle the project this weekend. Thanks!

Old 07-08-2015, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Majik Let us know how it goes. I love the difference - heads up: Trust all those warnings about keeping your eye on the spacers. It is a lot harder to do than it looks in a video. I'm not sure I could figure out how to get one side's spacers (front vs. back) out at a time. When you're dealing with both front and back they act l like they are spring loaded!

Good luck & hope you see as big a difference in the ride/handling as I did.

John

Old 07-08-2015, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag#4
Like you, not sure if this was the deciding factor, but it did make me come away wondering why everyone had such a hard time with this bolt.

Another possible factor is geography. Not much corrosion here from winter driving.
I think geography has much to do with it. If you're lucky enough (as I am, thank goodness) to live where the local authority doesn't pickle the roads with salt every winter, or the car is a summer driver, then it's not too much drama.

The design is poor, IMHO, as the pivot bolt locates directly in the alloy subframe so dissimilar metals get to work (or the holes go oval causing an expensive fix). Also the upper A-arm bushings have a central sleeve that rusts onto the pivot bolt as the whole thing is assembled dry: hence the horror stories of having to hack the bolt to bits to get things apart.

I used copious amounts of marine grease on reassembly on the basis that it's going to be me doing the job again next time..

Like many others here, the Rev. ought to be decorated for his services to XK* owners. I hope he returns to the fold some day soon.

Mike

Last edited by michaelh; 07-08-2015 at 03:59 PM.