XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver’s Window Tilts Forward

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 05:06 PM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Question Driver’s Window Tilts Forward

Hey JagFriends – I’ve got a new little glitch. When I roll up my driver’s side window, it makes a little forward tilt just as it gets to the top of its travel. This leaves about a ¼ inch gap at the top between the window and the rear window weatherstrip. If I open the door and reclose it, when the window returns to “up” it seems fine. The whole thing seems to act like a bushing is worn, but I haven’t gotten in to look at it yet. The onset of this behavior coincided with my installing WhiteXKR’s “Rear Window Up” modification, but I can’t see where that could cause this.

Someday soon I hope to install the “Remote Drop-Top” mod, so I’ll have the door panel off for that activity. I’ll try to see what’s going on then, but I’d like to know if anyone has had (and hopefully fixed) this problem and/or if you have any suggestions regarding where to look before I tear into it.

As always, thanks for your willingness to help.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:27 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

i think I know, but im driving right now. ill come back tomorrow to reply.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:13 AM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

The window regulator mounting bolts are loose. Take the door trim off, line up the window the way you want it and tighten the bolts. Install the door trim. done.

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
XK8+XJ8L (08-19-2011)
Old 08-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

If bob's suggestion doesn't turn out to be the problem, here's something else to look at.

On my car, the regulator was secure, so I looked for another reason for the slight 'tilt' the window did when being rolled up.

The scissor track guide closest to the latch is where I found my movement. The scissor arms slide in the horizontal guide rail attached to a white, plastic...lets call it a bar. That 'bar' slides within the metal guide rail, and mine was just plain worn from the friction surfaces. I could not repair, nor get into the door far enough to attempt a removal of the window mechanism.

My solution, best as it was, which did limit the amount of the 'tilt' the window was able to do, and close my gap at the rear 1/4 window so that it sealed air/watertight, involved accepting that movement was there, but compensating.

The regulator does have a little polar movement, so you can loosen the bolts, and rotate it counterclockwise as far as it will allow...which isnt much.

Then, the various window adjustments itself (not the rear quarter though) so that you can still close the door, and the window barely misses the rear window's vertical metal trim piece. The window will still 'tilt' a bit, but its limited now and is almost parallel w/ the rear 1/4 window seal. Its a trial-n-error process that worked for me, but took probably a few attempts, and an hour or two to get it as close as possible.

In my attempt, I messed with the in/out at the corners (is that yaw?), the rear half tilt bolt, the regulator stop...though my experimentation may have gone a bit overboard in my pursuit of the best, possible window position.