XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Duplicate Key for Jaguar XK8 & XKR

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 01:55 PM
Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Duplicate Key for Jaguar XK8 & XKR

Hi Everyone. If you're like me, you weren't the first owner of your Jaguar. When I got mine it came with one key and one remote. This wasn't an issue until I married last year and really needed a second key. My local dealer (not so local, 65 miles each way) wanted $450 for the second key, plus $75 more for the remote. I couldn't believe it! So I did a lot of research. I finally decided that I wanted control of this outlandish process. I bought three things. 1) a device from China called a Handy Baby Key Duplicating machine; 2) JMD48 transponder chips; and 3) an internet vendor to cut my car's Tibbe key to the code I supplied. Then I put it together. IT WORKS! Success at first try. Now here's the additional detail. To get the chip (needed one) I had to buy 10 and wait from November to late January to receive them. They were $5 each. I have 9 left. Getting the duplicated Tibbe key took 10 days and $40, and finally buying the Handy Baby from China was $465 and required 28 days. The process is incredible simple. The dealer should be ashamed. All it required is the car's key, cutting codes off the key, and patience. The dealer wanted the car brought to him, asked for 1/2 day, and I had to bring my registration and driver's license. Duplicating the remote was even easier. I bought one on eBay for $15 and followed the instructions on the Jaguar Forum website, which worked correctly the first time. If you're interested in more information send me an email. ps. I live 30 miles south of Tampa Florida. Very respectfully, Bob G.

The following 4 users liked this post by Robert Grisar:
jimmiejag (02-01-2017), Johnken (01-28-2017), Redline (02-02-2017), Ungn (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Thanks for posting this info. My 1997 doesn't have a chip, but this Handy baby thing appears to be the hot set up for a valet parking attendant to open up a Jaguar chop shop.

There are so few possible tibbe keys and I'm pretty sure with a little practice I could read and memorize the code of one in about 15 seconds. A tibbe key cutter and I'm in business.

Good thing society hasn't broken down, yet.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

In my opinion the cheapest/easiest method is to get the Virtual Machine version of SDD/IDS and the clone Mongoose cable (see https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ds-sdd-173843/). There is an option to clone keys in the software. As a huge bonus, you will also be able to read all vehicle diagnostics. You of course still have to get the Tibbe key cut.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 01-30-2017 at 08:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jimmiejag (02-01-2017)