XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory telephone?

Old 09-21-2011, 10:29 AM
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Factory telephone?

Just got around to thinking about what to do with this thing? I assume taking it out is not difficult? Is there a storage area there after removal?...By the way, there was a mounted short aerial on the back of the car when I bought it, was this hooked to the telephone? I disconnected the aerial line inside the trunk and removed the mount/aerial off the trunk lid.....Any info or thoughts? Thanks!

Old 09-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I'm not sure about the small aerial, it sounds aftermarket to me. Vehicles without the phone had a larger storage unit compared to the cars with the phone. You can swap them if you'd like, but removing the phone will give you more space anyway.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

If I recall from last time I checked, a replacement cubby box insert is under 20 bucks.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Where is the factory phone?

I am supposed to have the factory phone - I have all the factory microphones, speakers, etc. but I don't seem to have the unit to connect my phone to it through Bluetooth which was a standard item (I belive) in my 06 XKR.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mick99, the short aerial was a part of the older factory built-in phone system.

JamesWalker, there was no factory phone on the Victory Edition or any type of phone plugin. Factory installed Bluetooth connectivity is what you have. Be forewarned though, not all Bluetooth capable phones pair well with it.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

James Walker
I think what your referring to as speakers and microphones are part of your airbag restraint system. metal mesh devices at different locations inside.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:58 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts

The handset on my 2000 XK8 came right out very easily. I tucked the 2 connecting wires away under the console. I covered the small plastic plate that remained behind with some black closed cell foam material and it looks very nice. You would never know anything was there. The whole thing took 15 minutes. Later when I recovered the header I removed the microphone.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Phone ???

Originally Posted by ABorealis
Mick99, the short aerial was a part of the older factory built-in phone system.

JamesWalker, there was no factory phone on the Victory Edition or any type of phone plugin. Factory installed Bluetooth connectivity is what you have. Be forewarned though, not all Bluetooth capable phones pair well with it.
Not only do I have the microphone on the header and built in phone speakers, but also the extra manual for the phone connectivity to the sound system, however, when I go to synch up the Bluetooth and press the phone button, it displays "No Phone". Is there some module I may be missing or is inoperative?

I'd just like to be able to use the bluetooth capability. I have an iPhone 4 - but I can't get far enough to see if it connects.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 06 type estate, small ariel on the rear roof and all the relevant phone buttons on the Audio unit and my I phone will not connect or even pick up a bluetooth signal from the car. Is this a bluetooth unit or is there another "module" I should be looking for ? I have tried my wifes phone aswell and there is no signal or device found when searching, am I missing something silly here ?

Old 12-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesWalker
I am supposed to have the factory phone - I have all the factory microphones, speakers, etc. but I don't seem to have the unit to connect my phone to it through Bluetooth which was a standard item (I belive) in my 06 XKR.
Just out of curiosity, where is the factory microphone located? I have never seen how or where the factory microphone was installed (a photo would be great). All XKs were pre-wired for a phone but it was for a specific type of Motorola phone that is no longer available. Also, for cars that did not opt for a factory phone, the wires were never connected to either speakers or microphone, unfortunately. I have a 2002 X-Type Jag and, unlike my 2002 XKR, it has very nice factory microphones pre-installed, to which after market phone systems can be easily connected.

Mark

The following users liked this post:
938001 (07-17-2017)
Old 12-14-2011, 01:33 PM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Not only do I have the microphone on the header and built in phone speakers, but also the extra manual for the phone connectivity to the sound system, however, when I go to synch up the Bluetooth and press the phone button, it displays "No Phone". Is there some module I may be missing or is inoperative?

I'd just like to be able to use the bluetooth capability. I have an iPhone 4 - but I can't get far enough to see if it connects.
James,

It's taken me a week to get a bluetooth connection with my XK8 4.2S as it kept displaying 'No Phone' and wouldn't even get as far as the "Discover Me" stage. Like you, I was beginning to think some part of the installation was missing.

I followed advice elsewhere on the forum to disconnect the battery but this made no difference. Eventually I found that after pressing the Clear button repeatedly I was then able to enter the code '##1#*#' and get to discovery mode.

Compatible phones are listed on Jaguar UK - Bluetooth Connectivity

There's a box to enter the last six characters of your VIN to verify bluetooth was fitted (but you know that anyway as the 'S' and 'V' models all had it factory fitted). It then takes you to a page to select the phone model before giving details of the pairing method. iPhone4 is listed.

It's very convenient once setup as it subsequently finds the phone when the ignition is switched on. Downside is only one phone can be paired at a time. If you want to use a second phone, you have to go through the whole pairing ritual again each time.

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
JamesWalker (12-15-2011), jamjax (12-14-2011)
Old 12-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

3G;

That is a great site thanks....man there are more phones on there than I knew they made....seems like all the new phones will work with my '04 XKR.

But um... how do you answer the car phone?

Ours rang the other day and neither the steering wheel control or picking up the handset would actually answer the phone....heck we have no idea who was calling because we have never given the number to anyone...don't know the number in fact.

Well no worries...prefer my old Motorola V3 Razor nearly as old as the car, and still works just fine.

cheers,

jj

Old 12-14-2011, 05:16 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi I have the factory motorola in mine I put in an Orange pay as you go sim and just use it for incoming calls and short calls out it works great through the radio and built in microphone. With my phone numbers stored and visible on the radio display it's so easy to use and so clear.
Al

Old 12-14-2011, 05:48 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by jamjax
3G;

That is a great site thanks....man there are more phones on there than I knew they made....seems like all the new phones will work with my '04 XKR.

But um... how do you answer the car phone?

Ours rang the other day and neither the steering wheel control or picking up the handset would actually answer the phone....heck we have no idea who was calling because we have never given the number to anyone...don't know the number in fact.

Well no worries...prefer my old Motorola V3 Razor nearly as old as the car, and still works just fine.

cheers,

jj
JJ,

If you're using the audio system when a call comes through, press the 'PT' button on the Radio Cassette panel. Radio/CD/Tape mutes and the call is put through the car speakers. Use the Radio Volume Control during a call to adjust the volume and this setting is stored for future calls. It doesn't affect the existing settings for audio volume.

Alternatively use the steering wheel control. Press and hold the centre 'Select' button and it switches to phone. End the call either by pressing 'PT' again or just a short press on the 'Select' button.

If you're not using the audio system, pressing the 'Phone Mode' button with the ignition on confirms the phone is paired. Again, use either 'PT' button or steering wheel 'Select' to take an incoming call.

jamjax (12-15-2011)
Old 12-14-2011, 06:06 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by ALAG
Hi I have the factory motorola in mine I put in an Orange pay as you go sim and just use it for incoming calls and short calls out it works great through the radio and built in microphone. With my phone numbers stored and visible on the radio display it's so easy to use and so clear.
Al
Al,

You must have the long, slim dual band Motorola fitted in the centre console? I had a 2000 XJ8 with the predecessor of this - the Motorola StarTAC - and used the same solution as you. It was a lot simpler to get connected than the bluetooth setup!

Old 12-14-2011, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I have a 2005 XKR but it did not come with whatever it takes to implement the bluetooth. I have an HTC Droid Incredible and it looks like it would be compatible but I was wondering how much effort and expense it would take to add in whatever Jaguar parts/components to allow for bluetooth phone use.

Doug

Old 12-14-2011, 06:49 PM

Hi GG Yes thats right its in the centre console with the slim phone.The StarTac I think is very sought after now.I put £10 on the sim two months ago so lasting well.
Al

Old 12-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Can you post a photo of what the stock microphone looks like and where it's located? Also, do you know what year Bluetooth became an option?

Mark

Old 12-15-2011, 03:13 AM

Hi Mark The microphone is next to the drivers sunvisor and the interior light console

Al

mjlaris (12-15-2011)
Old 12-15-2011, 03:29 AM
GGG

Mark,

Its next to the roof console.

Factory telephone?-02-jaguar-bluetooth-microphone.jpg

This is my UK RHD so US would be on the other side of the console.

I remember a friend having a late 2002 XJ8 with bluetooth but this used a Jaguar branded Motorola bluetooth flip phone. It was likely to be 2003 when Jaguar introduced true bluetooth capability. Some might argue they haven't done this yet!

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
Alag (12-17-2011), mjlaris (12-15-2011)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Factory telephone?