Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Fight to take off the wheels... Is it only me? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/fight-take-off-wheels-only-me-52036/)

o2manyfish 03-26-2011 02:36 PM

Fight to take off the wheels... Is it only me?

Hey Guys,

So I did the brakes on my 06 XK8 yesterday. And the most difficult part of the job was getting the wheels off the car. My wheels are just stuck. I had a rubber mallet and finally had to use a pry bar between the wheel and the rotor to get the wheels off the car.

I am realizing that if I get a flat, I can't even change the tire on the road. This is the 2nd or 3rd time I have had to take the wheels off and its always a struggle.

Am I just special, or do others have this problem ?

For those curious I installed the EBC Red pads. Hoping for less dust on the chrome wheels. And while the hood was up saw a collapsed radiator hose. So this coming week I am going to change the radiator hoses. Looks like it will be lots of fun, all those nooks and crannies and my hands are not tiny.

Dave B

Danster 03-26-2011 03:21 PM

Jaguar specifies the use of copper grease between the the rim and the hub to keep the two from "fusing" together. I had the same problem when I first got my car (used of course) and went to change to pads. It was a B*TCH to remove.

Spydr_man 03-26-2011 03:33 PM

you should be able to use any type of metallic grease just don't over do it don't need it gettin on the brake components :)

H20boy 03-26-2011 03:35 PM

probably just corrosion between the hub and wheel...its a very tight fit when the parts are new. Just remove all the rust on the hub and the face, and if you remove the wheels a couple times a year, it'll never be that difficult again.

Doug 03-26-2011 04:05 PM

Some guys, when faced with a stuck wheel, leave the lugs nuts a couple turns loose and then s l o w l y drive in a figure-eight. The wheels will break free but stay on the car :-)

I use ordinary wheel bearing grease on the hub-to-wheel mating areas to prevent corrosion.

Cheers
DD

Bamaman 03-26-2011 06:50 PM

Everyone is right about the sticking wheels.

If you don't want to have to keep a 3 lb. sledge hammer and a block of wood in your trunk, use the copper grease.

The other option is to rotate your tires every time you do an oil change, and they won't stay on long enough to get stuck--assuming all 4 tires are the same size.

plums 03-26-2011 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 326824)
Some guys, when faced with a stuck wheel, leave the lugs nuts a couple turns loose and then s l o w l y drive in a figure-eight. The wheels will break free but stay on the car :-)

I use ordinary wheel bearing grease on the hub-to-wheel mating areas to prevent corrosion.

Cheers
DD

+1

You must have been around awhile.

JimC64 03-26-2011 08:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 173284

+1 on the copper grease scenario.

I usually remove my wheels maybe at least once a year anyway to redo the hubs and calipers and freshen them up. While they're off the car maybe a wire brush around the hub area followed by a smear of copper grease and all is well:icon_shrug:

JagXK82001 03-27-2011 11:40 AM

I used a small dab of anti-seize lube on the lug nuts and small smear on the hub. always am careful not to get any lube on the disk or pads.

Too much lube on the lugnuts can have change your torque settings slightly if you use a torque wrench to put on the lugnuts, I am told.

Maybe our tech experts will comment on that issue.