XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fobs and SLM getting the better of me!...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Originally Posted by dibbit
I doubt the JTIS gives the full details behind how the security system works, so you really can't rely on that to rule something out.
Vehicle security is more related to the key than the fob, since the vehicle can be used quite happily without the latter.

The arcane mating procedure is simply to teach the SLM to recognise the fob(s) as valid so that locking/unlocking (and the alarm set/disable), etc. can be accomplished conveniently and remotely.

Just my 2c, YMMV.

If the OP does decide to follow the replacement ECM route then we may have an answer.

The following users liked this post:
Nicholas Antony (11-21-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Before "replacing" the ECU, it might be worth trying to have it updated/reflashed with the latest software version. Doing so involves some form of software re-configuration (tell the ECU what market it is in, what other modules are present, etc.) which might possibly be helpful in this case. Maybe this is already a replacement ECU that was just swapped in and never re-coded. Have you checked the VIN returned over OBDII matches the VIN on the chassis? This re-coding is a software-only procedure with SDD/IDS, but expect a dealer to charge for this.

Old 11-01-2018, 05:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default These fobs work for my 97 XK8

Hi guys

Like many I was without fobs for my car this E bay seller has the right ones for 97 and thru to 200 and then a different one for 2001 onwards just fyi $46 bucks each.

extra-partss (251768)

Old 11-03-2018, 06:33 AM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by gvs1047
Like many I was without fobs for my car this E bay seller has the right ones for 97 and thru to 200 and then a different one for 2001 onwards just fyi $46 bucks each. .......
The OP is in ENGLAND.

Europe uses a 433 mhz security system - US uses a 315 mhz system.

Graham

Old 11-03-2018, 07:41 AM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

Allegedly..........they can be changed YMMV.

Originally Posted by lfjeff
I just bought a replacement key fob off Ebay for my 2003 Jaguar S-Type and at first it did not work. My auto locksmith tested the unit and said it was operating at 433 Mhz (which is for European cars). He said that most US remotes use 315 Mhz.

I was about to return the unit to the Ebay seller, but he gave me this tip:

How to change Jaguar fob frequency from 433 Mhz to 315 Mhz.
1) Hold down the lock and unlock buttons
2) Press the panic button 3 times

After I learned this, I went back to my locksmith and got it to work on 315 Mhz. He's been in the business for over 10 years and had never heard of this trick. The Jag dealer wanted over $150 to reprogram a fob, but he charged me $50 (I came to his location, he didn't have to make a trip).

Hopefully this tip may be useful to others.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:33 AM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
Allegedly..........they can be changed YMMV.
I recall reading that and was also sceptical. If there was a simple frequency change procedure then Jaguar would not be specifying, purchasing and carrying inventory on separate frequency fobs.

Graham

Old 11-21-2018, 11:39 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello All and thank you for your responses. I finally had another chance to try to solve the SLM problem on my XKR today and have made a great deal of progress. After much testing and fault finding, I am 100% sure the fault lays within the little circuit board found in the SLM (see photo).

I have a 1997 XK8 with working fobs so, after much comparison, checking cables, swapping the main battery etc, I decided to swap the SLM's over and sync the fobs. My XKR Fobs and SLM wouldn't sync in my XK8 (no red lights flashed when attempting to program) but in my XKR the red light flashed every time I pushed the XK8 fob button and programming completed (this had never happened before). My XK8 fobs worked. The central locking, lights and boot buttons all worked perfectly. This made me think the XKR wasn't receiving the fob signal from inside the SLM.

On the XKR SLM there are 3 plugs with wires, yet only 2 on my XK8 so obviously I couldn't do a straight swap (even though I don't know what all the wires are for - I didn't have time to test everything and see what wasn't working).

I then went further trying to pin-point exactly where the problem is. First off I swapped the ribbon cable in the SLMs that link the large and small circuit board. This made no difference and confirmed the cable is good.

I then put the large XKR SLM circuit board into the XK8 SLM (I wondered if the aerial pin connector was a problem as the XK8 one was a tiny bit longer than the XKR). This time I programmed my XKR fobs and they worked (central locking, boot and headlights)! They had never worked before or been recognised! This reconfirmed my XKR fobs were good and that the problem lays within the little circuit board within my XKR SLM. I'm guessing this little circuit board is all to do with receiving/understanding the signal from the fobs and the larger circuit board is all to do with security etc.

As the price for a new or second-hand SLM for my year or newer XKR is extremely expensive, I'm wondering if I could swap the 'receiver' circuit board out of an XKJ or X-Type etc SLM of a similar year or newer (as they are a fraction of the price)? I also noticed the parts are Ford not Jaguar, so was wondering if a Ford used the same 'receiver' circuit board? I can't image Ford/Jaguar made lots of different 'receiver' circuit boards for all the different models.

When I get more time, I will try to identify the problem with the small circuit board. I've run out of time to check it (and don't have much experience anyway) but will have a closer look for dry joints etc when I get a chance. Looking at the small circuit board, there does appear to be some corrosion on one of the chips!? I not sure if there is a local company/expert who can repair/find faults with circuits boards.

Anyway, that's my update for now. I've not quite solved the problem but I'm extremely close. I hope my write-up makes sense and can possibly help others.

Thanks again

michaelh (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 460 Likes on 332 Posts

That's great progress. The radio frequencies used by the remotes are different in Europe to the US so I wonder if that board (which is obviously the radio receiver part) is also different for the two markets. Maybe post in the XJ or X-type forum and see if anyone can tell you if the board is the same in their SLM?

Nicholas Antony (11-22-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

The X Type doesn't have an SLM. The relevant functions are all in the General Electronic Module (GEM)

As I also have this short range problem in my XK8 I'm living in great hopes of a breakthrough by nicholas Antony!!

Last edited by astromorg; 11-21-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

Great piece of detective work!
Amazed the main 2002 SLM board worked in a 97 car as they're different beasts but hey, it obviously does.

The TDA5200 is a 'receiver+ in a chip' designed for european frequencies. US board is likely very similar other than with a TDA5201. The discolouration on FL2 may be just the way silver plate goes when it's not polished.

X308 SLM has different part #s but, as Dibbit suggests, may well contain the same receiver board. Certainly worth pursuing.

Old 11-22-2018, 06:36 AM

Thanks again for all your responses. I do hope my last post made sense as I was absolutely freezing when i wrote it! Yes, 'radio receiver' circuit board makes much better terminology.

Just a quick note too, when I was swapping all the SLM parts over, you don't have to keep screwing the aerial back in. I had the boot open while I was swapping the parts and that still allowed me to do the fob programming. The SLM was still picking up the fob signal without the aerial attached. I was also completely disconnecting the battery every time I swapped parts.

I've had a very brief search of trying to find out if other Jaguars or Fords use the same 'radio receiver' circuit board but haven't got very far yet. If anyone knows where I can view some circuit diagrams or photographs of the 'radio receiver' circuit board for any early 2000 Jaguar or Ford SLMs, that would be greatly appreciated. I may just take a punt and purchase a second-hand SLM that is of a similar year and has the same casing.

I'll write another update once I have some more positive movement.

Thank again for all your help.

Old 11-22-2018, 06:42 AM

Hi MichealH, yes, the FL2 caught my eye too. It doesn't look very healthy but, as you say, it may just be discolouring. I know nothing about circuitry so will keep researching and hopefully find the fix. Hopefully this thread will turn out to be an easy fix which will help the many other owners who have also been pulling their hair out trying to work out why their SLM/Fobs no longer work. Fingers crossed.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nicholas Antony
If anyone knows where I can view some circuit diagrams or photographs of the 'radio receiver' circuit board for any early 2000 Jaguar or Ford SLMs, that would be greatly appreciated. I may just take a punt and purchase a second-hand SLM that is of a similar year and has the same casing.
I doubt you'll find the actual circuit diagram. However, I've attached the Infineon data sheet that contains a test circuit. This will be close enough to permit someone with the necessary technical skills (and working eyesight!) to do some troubleshooting while you search for a substitute.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Nicholas Antony (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 07:23 AM

Many thanks michaelh for the Infineon data sheet, I've found somebody who has the technical skills to look at the 'radio receiver' circuit board (pictured above).

So today I've swapped my XK8 'radio receiver' circuit board with my faulty XKR one and once again everything, as far as I know, is working! Both my XKR fobs are programmed and all four buttons on each fob do what they are supposed to - open central locking, lock central locking, turn on lights and open boot/truck.

There's no amber or red lights on start-up and I've also checked the following:

All lights on the car (brake lights, reserve light, fog light etc etc)
Alarm
Internal fuel cap and boot/truck release buttons.
Radio code
Door electric windows are reset
Range of fobs
Reverse sensors

I guessing not all of the above list is related to the SLM but everything above is working!

Does anybody know what else the SLM does? I can't find anything that isn't working. When I activate / unlock / lock the car the lights flash but there is no bleep (not sure if there should be).

Also, having had a look at the underneath of the faulty XKR 'radio receiver' circuit board (see photos) it has some non-factory soldering done. The soldering is where the white ribbon connector and the wire from the aerial cable connects. The soldering looks quite amateur, so I'm wondering if there is a dry joint etc. Clearly somebody at sometime has attempted to repair something!

So that's the latest. I've still not been able to find if another Jaguar or Ford SLM uses the same 'radio receiver'. The one that looks most likely is the XJ8 one.

Thanks again for all your help. I also help I am helping other people solve their SLM troubles.

The following 2 users liked this post by Nicholas Antony:
astromorg (12-02-2018), michaelh (12-02-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member

The SLM monitors most of the perimeter stuff - doors, bonnet, boot lid, hood latching on convertible & 2001 up the rear bulb states. If everything is working OK I wouldn't go looking for trouble

A missing accompanying 'beep' to the indicator flash might be a dead security 'intelligent sender' behind the RHS headlight. Member DevonDavid did a surgical dissection on his - you can see what happens here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...1/#post1548936
...but I think it's also a dealer-programmable option, so could have just been turned off.

This type of circuit board is assembled by machines, but there are some things they're not so good at: the power & antenna connectors will have been soldered manually. The antenna joints look OK - can't really see the power connector.

Last edited by michaelh; 12-03-2018 at 04:54 PM.
Nicholas Antony (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 05:15 AM

Thank you michaelh once again for your help and reply. I'll have a look at the 'intelligent sender' post - although i'm not 100% sure it is supposed to bleep.

The 'radio receiver' circuit board is currently being looked at by somebody who has knowledge of circuit boards. Interesting to learn some soldering would have been done manually. I'm not an expert on soldering but having looked at the manual solder work, I'd be surprised if that is the original solder - my gut feeling is that somebody else has had a go at some point. The power connector solder looks especially poor. It looks like somebody has adding to it (but not cleaned or melted the previous solder).

Hopefully, the person who is currently looking at the 'radio receiver' circuit board can identify and repair the fault. I will add an update when I have any further news.

If I do finally fix the issue, is there something I should tick or mark on this forum to let other owners with similar issues know this was FIXED? Can I change the title?

Thank you once again for all your help.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:45 AM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicholas Antony
dd an update when I have any further news.

If I do finally fix the issue, is there something I should tick or mark on this forum to let other owners with similar issues know this was FIXED? Can I change the title?

Thank you once again for all your help.
There's a time limit on editing posts so you can't change the title now, but I can do it for you, if it doesn't update shortly after you post a resolution send me a PM and I'll get it done.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 460 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
There's a time limit on editing posts so you can't change the title now, but I can do it for you, if it doesn't update shortly after you post a resolution send me a PM and I'll get it done.
This thread should be added to the HOW TO sticky at the top of the forum as a never before seen fix to the problem of the SLM not responding to the fobs.

Old 02-01-2019, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

[QUOTE=Nicholas Antony;1996817The 'radio receiver' circuit board is currently being looked at by somebody who has knowledge of circuit boards.

Hopefully, the person who is currently looking at the 'radio receiver' circuit board can identify and repair the fault. I will add an update when I have any further news.[/QUOTE]

Has your knowledgeable person managed to make any progress with identifying the original board fault? I for one would appreciate any guidance as to which component is the likely culprit in this problem.

Last edited by astromorg; 02-01-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-08-2022, 06:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Did the radio receiver circuit board sort this out?

Quick Reply: Fobs and SLM getting the better of me!...