Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   General note, Still Loving it :) :) :) :) kids seats? & tuning? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/general-note-still-loving-kids-seats-tuning-71884/)

Blue XK 04-19-2012 05:05 PM

General note, Still Loving it :) :) :) :) kids seats? & tuning?

Just a general note.

I've had my XK (1999MY UK 4.0l Coupe) or a couple of months now and am still loving every moment in it.

I do the daily 80 mile round commuter trip in it a couple of times a week, and last week managed 27mpg, driving like a granny I admit but still very much enjoyable.

I today found out that it's actually cheaper to insure the XK than my diesel Audi A6 Estate?

I do feel that it sometimes lacks the enthusiasm or the get up and go that I want, especially when mid range cruising.

I am looking to get some seats for the kids (10mnths & 5yrs) that might actually fit properly, can anybody recommend some to look at?

I would also be very interested in any performance upgrades that can be done, looking, the air filter looks ripe for change, anybody got experience with tweaking cam timing? or injector fiddling?

Thanks to all, it was your positive comments that convinced me to bite the bullet and get my new toy over the other (now lesser) options.
;)
Thanks

berlin1977 04-19-2012 08:45 PM

My grandson is 2 and the car seat that we have has a very wide front base. We use a pad next to the seat belt lock what this does is level the seat out. {leans to the lock in the center of the seats} Fitting a 10 month old in the reverse, child looking out the back of the vec should work well. Just make sure that your [passenger is short. Grandma is 5' 3". As for the 6 year old a booster seat is the trick,leg room for the young'ons and so on. You only have one problem, as the grandson says TOP DOWN POP POP. Ha Have fun Jim

berlin1977 04-19-2012 08:52 PM

This will open a can of worms on the forum but I a sure K&N air filter. Use them in all of my personal vec. and as well as my fleet at work.

H20boy 04-20-2012 12:02 AM

have you checked and adjusted your throttle cable? Also, don't forget to push down the kick down switch below the pedal for a WOT, I didn't find mine until a few months into ownership.

Frog 04-20-2012 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by H20boy (Post 501111)
have you checked and adjusted your throttle cable? Also, don't forget to push down the kick down switch below the pedal for a WOT, I didn't find mine until a few months into ownership.

Don't you find if you do that it changes into like 2nd gear at about 50mph and makes a terrible noise?

dennisw 04-20-2012 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Frog (Post 501124)
Don't you find if you do that it changes into like 2nd gear at about 50mph and makes a terrible noise?

lovely..i can see them tentioner falling apart as i type this

GGG 04-20-2012 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Frog (Post 501124)

Didn't seem familiar but waited until I tried it again to be sure.

Passing a lot of motorway traffic for over 20 miles this evening and deliberately using kickdown a lot, the only additional sound was the exhaust.

Graham

H20boy 04-20-2012 01:25 PM

At 50mph, I think mine drops into 3rd from 5th. Sure, RPMs leap into the 4s, but its supposed to. Terrible noise? Nah.

NikasilNik 04-20-2012 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Blue XK (Post 500969)

I do feel that it sometimes lacks the enthusiasm or the get up and go that I want, especially when mid range cruising.

I would also be very interested in any performance upgrades that can be done, looking, the air filter looks ripe for change, anybody got experience with tweaking cam timing? or injector fiddling?

;)
Thanks

For your performance upgrades contact Tony at Paragon Design , he will sort it out , tell him Nik from the XKEC recommended you ,

Nik

Mexk8 04-20-2012 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by H20boy (Post 501111)
... don't forget to push down the kick down switch below the pedal for a WOT, ...

I don't understand... Push down the kick down means stamp on it hard or is there some adjustment that should/could be made? Sorry if I am being thick or missing a joke!

JEZ

RJag 04-21-2012 04:25 PM

That means pushing it all the way to the floor where you do cause it to kick-down and get WOT.

dad2twins 04-21-2012 07:59 PM

I have 7 yr old twins who ride in the back. I used old "booster" seats from the dinning room chair.They are smaller and serve the purpose.

Mexk8 04-22-2012 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by RJag (Post 501783)
That means pushing it all the way to the floor where you do cause it to kick-down and get WOT.

Thats what I thought! Thanks.