Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Guess What I'm doing tomorrow??! (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/guess-what-im-doing-tomorrow-52777/)

thefixer 04-08-2011 08:42 PM

Guess What I'm doing tomorrow??!

Detailing my 'new' '03 XKR :)

It was delivered this evening, and I keep going out to the garage to look at it again - the wife has asked if I want to sleep out there tonight (she was smiling...)

Already spotted a couple of things that need fixing, and I'm sure I'll find more tomorrow - but generally it looks to be in pretty good condition (if not that clean after 1500 miles on the transporter).

Looking forward to making real use of all the great information on this forum, and hopefully contributing some myself as I learn more (I've already downloaded all of the Rev's videos, got the JTIS running and grabbed a copy of ever manual I can find online....)

-Steve

Fedoraja1 04-08-2011 08:53 PM

Congrats Steve! Put the seat all the way back and you can sleep IN it comfortably!

By the way, and I think I speak for all of us when I say this, I expect pictures ASAP! Have a blast with it man!

Reverend Sam 04-08-2011 08:59 PM

Um... from where did you buy your XKR? It didn't come from Raleigh, did it?

thefixer 04-08-2011 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam (Post 334064)
Um... from where did you buy your XKR? It didn't come from Raleigh, did it?

No...(though I was kind of expecting you might think that!). It's from OK City.

It seems to be running good, and everything seems to be working, though I have a driver's airbag light on and the front oil cooler mounts (the rubber parts) are broken so it's hanging free. I'm sure I'll find a few other things tomorrow. One thing that made me smile: The cup holder works great!

Once I've gone through the car I'll be contacting the dealer to find out where the Nav DVD and boot have gone - that were definitely with it when my buddy checked it out for me (and they assured me via email were included). Other than that the car is 'as is', so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

-Steve

PS Watched your video on changing the transmission oil the other night. So glad you left the expletives in - I felt your pain!

Fla Steve 04-08-2011 09:13 PM

Congratulations Steve..sounds like you got a good one. I think Sam is jealous!

Reverend Sam 04-08-2011 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by thefixer (Post 334074)
No...(though I was kind of expecting you might think that!). It's from OK City.

It seems to be running good, and everything seems to be working, though I have a driver's airbag light on and the front oil cooler mounts (the rubber parts) are broken so it's hanging free. I'm sure I'll find a few other things tomorrow. One thing that made me smile: The cup holder works great!

Once I've gone through the car I'll be contacting the dealer to find out where the Nav DVD and boot have gone - that were definitely with it when my buddy checked it out for me (and they assured me via email were included). Other than that the car is 'as is', so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

-Steve

PS Watched your video on changing the transmission oil the other night. So glad you left the expletives in - I felt your pain!

I have an extra nav DVD if you end up needing it. I got it from h20boy because he didn't need his. Strangely, it didn't work in my car even though we both have 2003 MYs. I have no need for it, so it's yours free of charge. Just let me know.

thefixer 04-08-2011 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam (Post 334078)
I have an extra nav DVD if you end up needing it. I got it from h20boy because he didn't need his. Strangely, it didn't work in my car even though we both have 2003 MYs. I have no need for it, so it's yours free of charge. Just let me know.

Thanks! If you can hang on to it until I've checked the car out and spoken to them - you never know, they may have tucked it in somewhere, and they're also mailing me some docs.

(Incidentally, I'm assuming that if the clock comes up, but no maps (when you press the 'map' button), and nothing happens when you press 'eject' in the trunk, there is no DVD in there...

-Steve

lorwood 04-09-2011 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by thefixer (Post 334051)
Detailing my 'new' '03 XKR :)

It was delivered this evening, and I keep going out to the garage to look at it again - the wife has asked if I want to sleep out there tonight (she was smiling...)

Already spotted a couple of things that need fixing, and I'm sure I'll find more tomorrow - but generally it looks to be in pretty good condition (if not that clean after 1500 miles on the transporter).

Looking forward to making real use of all the great information on this forum, and hopefully contributing some myself as I learn more (I've already downloaded all of the Rev's videos, got the JTIS running and grabbed a copy of ever manual I can find online....)

-Steve

I am having a pro detailer come over this morning to get rid of some swirl marks left by the previous owners poor washing skills. The car looks great but when the sun hits it just right you can see the swirl marks which bugs me. The wife thinks I am nuts! BTW first nice day here on Long Island I am sure I will drop the top and find somewhere to go this afternoon.

beg3yrs 04-09-2011 10:58 AM

I truly believe you make the XK series "YOURS" by taking possession and going over it with lots of TLC like you are doing. It's a great feeling. Have fun, I did with mine. Just don't let the wife get too jealous of the "other woman".

Reverend Sam 04-09-2011 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by thefixer (Post 334088)

(Incidentally, I'm assuming that if the clock comes up, but no maps (when you press the 'map' button), and nothing happens when you press 'eject' in the trunk, there is no DVD in there...

-Steve

Actually, with no DVD you won't even get the clock. To get the map to come up, press in on the little joystick type button on the bottom left. Pressing in takes you to a legal disclaimer of sorts, then you can click the menu button, or some other button. I forget the exact process, but you start by pressing in on the joystick. None of the other buttons work until you do that.

By the way, by press "in" I mean to push it forward. It moves up, down, left, and right, but you can also press in/forward. That's like clicking on a mouse. Once you go for a drive with it you'll wish you had the gauges. The 8 year old GPS is essentially worthless. Plus, you have to STOP to enter an address! Don't even think about changing your mind while you're driving. You have to come to a complete stop enter an address or to do just about anything with the GPS.

thefixer 04-09-2011 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Fedoraja1 (Post 334058)
Congrats Steve! Put the seat all the way back and you can sleep IN it comfortably!

By the way, and I think I speak for all of us when I say this, I expect pictures ASAP! Have a blast with it man!

Thanks - a few photos, as requested. First is last night, in the garage - you'll notice we have a thing for convertibles :-)

The car was covered in road dirt, gravel and apparently oil from another vehicle. Luckily nothing had got on the hood, and it's cleaned up very well. I didn't get time to start on investigating the issues it's got (Air Bag light and emergency brake), as I spent much of the day servicing our other vehicles and getting the Sebring (it's replacing) ready for sale.

-Steve

http://www.thebytefoundry.com/xkrphotos/XKR0.JPG

http://www.thebytefoundry.com/xkrphotos/XKR1.JPG

http://www.thebytefoundry.com/xkrphotos/XKR2.JPG

Reverend Sam 04-09-2011 11:44 PM

That's funny... I have a silver XK and a red Chrysler Sebring, too! I also have a third convertible, a Saab 9-3! Even though I own the titles to the other cars, my kids drive them. My first convertible was the Sebring. I rented one on a business trip and I was instantly hooked. I bought a used one just a couple of months later. That was in 2006. Since then I've bought a BMW Z3, the Jag, and the Saab. I guess you could say I have a thing for convertibles too.

jsampson 04-09-2011 11:58 PM

Felt the same way all week with my new 03 S-Type 4.2. Love this thing. Still waiting for FedEx on the small things I ordered for her. Side marker light and lens, Rear reverse light, and more....rear brake job and bleed today. Drive belt tomorrow...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/m...-4-2-7249t.jpg

Frog 04-10-2011 03:37 AM

Awesome garage. I am jealous of that ramp!

joycesjag 04-10-2011 06:10 AM

fixer and jsampson, its been over 2 years that my wife and I purchased our S Type. The "looking" you are describing, hasn't gone away yet! We sit on our front porch quite often and still to this day Joyce will pull it out so she (we) can admire her. BTW the S is Joyces vehicle, so I would be the one whose envious :).

Congrats to both you guys picking up Jaguars!

thefixer 04-10-2011 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam (Post 334511)
That's funny... I have a silver XK and a red Chrysler Sebring, too!... I guess you could say I have a thing for convertibles too.

Spooky! The Sebring has been real good to me - it's got a 160,000 miles on it now. If I had the room I'd probably keep it, but it's going to have to go. The wife's Miata (deliberately the base model - no aircon, only option the CD player) is in someways the exact opposite of the XKR, but we both love driving it. We were lightheartedly arguing over which car we'd take out for Sunday afternoon trips!

-Steve

thefixer 04-10-2011 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Frog (Post 334542)
Awesome garage. I am jealous of that ramp!

It's great, and was the least expensive way of adding a 4th parking place. I'd definitely recommend it if you've got the roof height (as you can see, ours is very close). I spent several days using Google Sketchup (basic 3d CAD) to quadruple check that it would all fit (our truck can go under the Miata with less than an inch to spare!). Wife and I installed it ourselves together in a day

-Steve

thefixer 04-10-2011 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by beg3yrs (Post 334257)
....Just don't let the wife get too jealous of the "other woman".

I'm lucky there! She's pretty keen on 'different' cars herself, and used to do a lot of work on them with me (including changing & rebuilding motors), though nowadays she really just drives them.

She'd really like a AC Cobra replica (to replace the Miata). She used to have a TR7 which she bought the moment she saw it a junk yard we were visiting.

-Steve

thefixer 04-10-2011 09:50 PM

Only had the car a day, and it's time to say a big 'thank you' to everyone who posts info, documents and their own experience here.

I spent the day going through the car. Only two real faults I've found have been the emergency brake sticking on and the airbag light coming on (it was the connector inside the drivers seat that had gone o/c).

I've fixed both, and now have a dash devoid of warning lights - mainly due to the info posted here.

It's probably worth noting that this forum was one of the main reasons I though I could afford to get an XK - this has been proven already.

Thanks!!

-Steve

Ed M 04-11-2011 08:18 AM

You finally got one! Yay! Beautiful car.

You've been searching far and wide. Are there no XKs near CT?