Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Has anyone solved this rattle? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/has-anyone-solved-rattle-178087/)

Roger_B 03-11-2017 11:46 AM

Has anyone solved this rattle?

It's not a rattlesnake, even though this is texas.

It's behind the instrument trim just under the dashboard directly in front of the driver. Only occurs on slightly bumpy county roads (much of our travel). It can be stopped by pushing either down or up on the dash, but returns as soon as you let go.

I examined everything I could see when I removed the instrument cluster to change bulbs, and I made as sure as I could that the cluster and trim were tight when I reassembled. The rattle is still there.

Any ideas?

RJ237 03-11-2017 12:10 PM

It's often the defroster vent that rattles Try stuffing something in the gap between the vent and the windshield and see if that works.

bladerunner919 03-11-2017 12:38 PM

It's not the vent itself, but where the dash starts to come away from its metal backing plate under the vent. I had the rattle, so pulled the vent out and glued the dash back together (you'll see what I mean when you pull the vent). Top tip - when you do the glueing make sure the dash top and windscreen are masked off - I got a few smears of epoxy glue on the windscreen and it's a bugger to get off!

Roger_B 03-11-2017 02:03 PM

Wow, thank you. Two very good answers in less than an hour. I'll run right out and try this as soon as my wife gets back with the car.

Ungn 03-13-2017 04:09 PM

Defroster vents on mine. Very annoying until I fixed it.

toaster 03-13-2017 04:48 PM

Thanks to Gus and Dan Jensen,
i have done it last year.

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

wymjym 03-13-2017 04:53 PM

I had two sources of rattles. One was the vents I have (temporarily) fixed that noise by inserting a long length of black felt, rolled tight...making a felt rope. It fits tight enough to eliminate the free movement and noise.
The second noise I'm living with for a while, decided to listen to my 'radio', tape:mp3 player instead of letting the 'rattle' drive me nuts.
The source? MY rearview mirror, I can stop the noise by squeezing the top and bottom of the surround which houses that electronic marvel. Since I haven't figured out how to emulate that clasping short of zip ties....I'll live with it for the time being.
Hopefully your noise is the byproduct of a loose vent: dash.
Good luck
wj

RJ237 03-13-2017 07:08 PM

My vent fix was the same as yours, but I consider it permanent.

motorcarman 03-13-2017 08:15 PM

5 Attachment(s)
TSBs to read.

bob

prettybluefin 03-14-2017 12:38 PM

mine was the vent as well. when prying off, be very careful, as they are easy to crack. brush some gorilla glue to the parts on the dash, and re-install vent. (no glue smears) put more glue on the pressure points and wedge a towel to provide pressure and assure a tight seal.

also, go to a pet store, and buy a $2.00 tube of aquarium sealant. take out the wood fascia plate around the ac vent (just slowly pull it towards you) and apply silicone around the clips. let dry, install. do this to any speakers and air vents...your car should have zero rattles.