Sponsored by:

Help needed finding a competent transmission shop in New England

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 02:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Help needed finding a competent transmission shop in New England

It's been a long time since this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ission-202757/

Last Fall I packed it in and put the car away without finding out what my issues are. Everyone responded to the post with great ideas and suggestions, but I got burnt out thinking about it. After sitting down with my indy recently, I decided to find a transmission repair shop to troubleshoot it. Sounds simple right? Far from it. Let's start with Jaguar dealers. Useless. All said they didn't work on transmissions and their "go to" shops they recommended me to call, didn't even know what a ZF transmission was. My closest dealer (Jake Kaplan in RI) said "we don't work on old cars". After that I started cold calling shops. What I found was that 95% of them only install refurbished units and won't even check the level in mine. "It's a sealed transmission, you don't need to check the level" The few that seemed somewhat competent, had no experience with ZF's. They said "drop it off and we'll try to figure it out". I thought I had someone who had no experience with them, but seemed knowledgeable overall. I met with him today and without even looking at the car declared that it was an electrical issue. "Those Jags are known for that".
So here I am, asking you all for help again. Is there someone that you or someone you know has used to repair a transmission issue in our cars? I'm open to flat bedding the car there if needed. Looking for someone in CT, MA and RI, but open to any suggestions in New England.

Thanks,
Steve in Killingly CT (NE corner of the state)

Old 03-27-2019, 12:28 AM
Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

I wish I could help you. I had taken my transmission out and brought it to Eriksson industries in Old Saybrook. They are the best transmission shop but they only work on pulled trannies. I don't think they will look at one in the car. There # is 860-388-4418 if you want to give them a call.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,811 Posts

Call ZF Tech Support in Chicago at (800) 451-2595. Ask for Steve Jaffe or Joe Laubinger. They keep a roster of various ZF-approved shops and suppliers all over the US....

Old 03-27-2019, 07:01 AM
Received 4,180 Likes on 3,643 Posts

+1 on Eriksson - Eriksson Industries

Old 03-27-2019, 08:02 AM
Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts
Thumbs up transmission shop

I have used Uncle's transmission in Smithfield RI for 2 of my xj8's give them a call I am sure they will fix it for you 401-231-1611

Old 03-28-2019, 08:19 PM
Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve-in-ct
It's been a long time since this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ission-202757/

Last Fall I packed it in and put the car away without finding out what my issues are. Everyone responded to the post with great ideas and suggestions, but I got burnt out thinking about it. After sitting down with my indy recently, I decided to find a transmission repair shop to troubleshoot it. Sounds simple right? Far from it. Let's start with Jaguar dealers. Useless. All said they didn't work on transmissions and their "go to" shops they recommended me to call, didn't even know what a ZF transmission was. My closest dealer (Jake Kaplan in RI) said "we don't work on old cars". After that I started cold calling shops. What I found was that 95% of them only install refurbished units and won't even check the level in mine. "It's a sealed transmission, you don't need to check the level" The few that seemed somewhat competent, had no experience with ZF's. They said "drop it off and we'll try to figure it out". I thought I had someone who had no experience with them, but seemed knowledgeable overall. I met with him today and without even looking at the car declared that it was an electrical issue. "Those Jags are known for that".
So here I am, asking you all for help again. Is there someone that you or someone you know has used to repair a transmission issue in our cars? I'm open to flat bedding the car there if needed. Looking for someone in CT, MA and RI, but open to any suggestions in New England.

Thanks,
Steve in Killingly CT (NE corner of the state)
Hey Steve. I found a Indy in Rehobeth MA, Metric Motors, they seem to know what they are doing. Brought mine to them after it was at another shop that screwed it up. They are replacing three wheel sensors and the Anti Lock Brake Module to clear DSC and ABS lights. BTW your car sounds exactly like mine. Apollo wheels?

Last edited by Loxmth; 03-28-2019 at 08:21 PM.