Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/)
-   -   Help needed: JLR SDD V130 (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/help-needed-jlr-sdd-v130-253537/)

szhilian39 11-18-2021 02:35 PM

Help needed: JLR SDD V130

Hi,
I searched and studied but want to confirm that my understanding is not wrong.
I recently purchased an XKR (X100, 2006) and would like to install SDD/IDS.
Currently, I have a laptop with Win7 (32 bits) installed for JTIS (successfully installed).
Can I install SDD V130, non-virtual machine version (VM)? Is VM version preferable over non-VM version?

Also, any mongoose clone cables (available in aliexpress) would be compatible with SDD V130?
Thanks for your help,
JW

motorcarman 11-18-2021 08:29 PM

11 Attachment(s)
Many things come to mind and Gus has info on his site that is very useful. (jagrepair,com)
Since PDU and WDS are very obsolete and IDS is in many respects also, SDD seems to be useful for the later cars.

I have no use for SDD because of the models I work on but the Rotunda VCM is getting hard to find.
Windows XP Pro 32 bit is also obsolete but I run it on a few Dell laptops.

The choice is to search for a VCM or get a mongoose-type dongle and use SDD that should revert to Legacy IDS when needed.

Study-up on the different systems and pick a budget.

xalty 11-18-2021 10:55 PM

a VM will not work with legacy IDS tools. use a normal install of windows

stran0020 11-19-2021 05:10 AM

I am able to run IDS 117 on my windows 7 32 bit using the right click function “run in windows XP sp3 compatible mode” I used it a few times on my 2003 xkr

fmertz 11-19-2021 08:57 AM

In my opinion, it is best to start looking in the direction of running these older applications running on older operating systems in a VM. This way, you can move forward with the times and use a current machine you can buy at a store. Relying on old hardware is going to increasingly be a challenge, with failed laptop batteries, grungy power supply cables, aging screens, broken keyboards, etc. USB support for apps in a VM has consistently improved over time to the point of working just fine. As a bonus, you can backup known-good VMs pretty easily and move them from machine to machine as needed.

FWIW, I have used that kit from the UK (it runs in a VM) and been able to do multi-step processes like key transponders and long-running sessions with SDD. I "moved" it from VMWare to Virtualbox. I don't remember it crashing.

ccfulton 11-20-2021 08:43 AM

I similarly have SDD running in a VMWare VM.

I did have some issues with newer laptops that have USB3 ports not being able to talk to my ManGoose knock off cable that I traced down to a bug in the Windows USB3 driver. I set up my laptop to dual boot Linux to run the VM and it works great. Performance and stability is better that it was in windows to boot.

One other nice thing about the VM is you can set it up with all the old goofy dependencies like Adobe versions form the early 2000s.