XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

to help new or prospective owners, a new sticky is needed to list known issues ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,566 Likes on 938 Posts
Default to help new or prospective owners, a new sticky is needed to list known issues ?

I think it would be nice to have a sticky that just listed all the known universally persistent issues that these cars have. Like a check list that a person could use to evaluate a prospective purchase or for an owner to use in order to have a structured repair plan.

It could include the big faults like the 4.0 cam chain tensioner debacle, and also minor ones, like what I just discovered on my car, i.e. the hood insulation is rubbing on one of the intercooler hoses and abrading it.

Such a list would give people a checklist to investigate and deal with as preventive maintenance rather than piecemeal discovery after the issue causes the car to break down on the side of the road.

Z

Old 07-20-2018, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Hi Z,
Member DevonDavid did a priceless summary of most of the known issues:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...21/#post958595

Brightened up my day anyway

Old 07-20-2018, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by michaelh
Hi Z,
Member DevonDavid did a priceless summary of most of the known issues:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...21/#post958595

Brightened up my day anyway

yes, just like that, maybe a little more condensed, but that is essentially what I think would be nice as a STICKY so it's always easy to find for those new to these models.

Z

Old 07-20-2018, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Has it really gotten to the point where everyone wants Cliff's Notes for everything?

The following 4 users liked this post by rothwell:
Jon89 (07-21-2018), michaelh (07-20-2018), sklimii (07-29-2018), toaster (07-31-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

LOL. Tried a search but couldn't find that one on the site? Link to free pdf download please.

Did stumble across Daniel Jackson's memorable line from Stargate, though...
https://www.cliffsnotes.com/study-gu...nd-coordinates

The following 2 users liked this post by michaelh:
Johnken (07-21-2018), zray (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member

Well, if a easy to find outline of known faults and fixes helps one guy from being stuck miles from nowhere (thank you Cat Stevens) then I'm for it.

the F type forum section has a better sticky repository for known issues than do we in the X-100 home.

The topic I found on hood liner / abrading hoses was 10 years old. That's a lot of territory to cover if one's search function is not exact.

Z

Old 07-21-2018, 03:00 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by zray
I think it would be nice to have a sticky that just listed all the known universally persistent issues that these cars have. Like a check list that a person could use to evaluate a prospective purchase or for an owner to use in order to have a structured repair plan. .....
Great idea - when are you going to write it?

The major issues come under three headings:

1. plastic tensioners on early years
2. cooling system
3. transmission - fluid and filter changes

Once you start going beyond this to front suspension (upper wishbone bushes/damper mounts) and then into the electrical/electronic issues then the checklist begins to morph into an FAQ.

That reminds me - I started to build a revised FAQ thread a few months ago and got diverted to other things. Must get back to it.

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
toaster (07-31-2018), zray (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
.".........That reminds me - I started to build a revised FAQ thread a few months ago and got diverted to other things. Must get back to it.
Yes, please do. It could be a shining contribution to the future of mankind. (Not kidding)

Z

Old 07-29-2018, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

As an F-Type owner who is considering coming over to the "Dark Side" and getting an XK8 or XKR (actually I am sure it would be an addition to my garage), I would consider it a boon to mankind(and womankind to avoid being labeled a misogynist) to have such a sticky. Not being that computer literate, I am seldom able to find anything in previous threads that I need to reference. Luckily, someone on the forum is kind enough to answer my questions, or refer me to the correct thread. That is why I find this to be one of the best forums I have been a member of. Keep up the good work.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:51 AM
Received 243 Likes on 136 Posts

While I think that this is a noble idea, I'm not sure that the execution of it would be easy. I bought my car last summer. I did a few weeks research before doing so. I had never owned a Jaguar before. I was very quickly able to find the "issues" with the 4.0 timing chains and Niksal bores. The octopus hose and green shower quickly showed up as well. I was able to make ( IMO) an informed decision on the vehicle I wanted to buy.

A lot of items listed as "issues" seem to me, to be just normal maintenance on any vehicle that is 10+ years old. I had a rear wheel bearing fail a short while ago. Would that be an "issue" ? To me it seemed pretty normal for a 14+ year old car with 200,000 km on it. Changing transmission and differential fluids, any and all rubber hoses and suspension bits also seem like normal maintenance to me as well So I wonder how any person could make a decision about what to list as an "issue" and what would be considered prudent maintenance for an old sports car ?

I found JagRepair.com very useful as well as the XK8 'bible' which is a sticky on the forum

Old 07-29-2018, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

What prompted me to ask about a sticky was the "issue" of the intercooler hose(s) being abraded from contact with the hood liner. That is an engineering flaw, just like the plastic tensioners, etc., not a maintenance item. I did a search for that problem when I just happened to notice the near invisible wear on the hose. The thread was 10 years old that ID'd the flaw, and the potential fixes. If a sticky was implimented, like the F forum has, then I could've read the entire list and known about the problem before it potentially sidelined me on the side of the road. Reading back 10+ years to find all the known flaws seems to me to be an inefficient way of communicating vital information. Yes, a hose blowing is not the same as a tensioner failure. Nevertheless it can and will cause all forward motion to cease when it blows, thus ending a pleasent drive . No fun watching the world go by from the seat of a tow truck.

Z

Old 07-29-2018, 12:27 PM
Received 243 Likes on 136 Posts

Indeed riding in a tow truck is no fun. One of the reasons i chose the XK8 over the XKR was because i didn't want to deal with the supercharger and its assorted extra bits and pieces. If this is a fairly common issue, why not ask the author to add a section in the XK8 Bible on the supercharger and its foibles ? You might even write up a few draft paragraphs to send him

The following users liked this post:
zray (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Barry_Tucker
Indeed riding in a tow truck is no fun. One of the reasons i chose the XK8 over the XKR was because i didn't want to deal with the supercharger and its assorted extra bits and pieces. ......"
When shopping for my car, I did go back and forth between the XK8 coupe and the XKR coupe. It's 6 of one, a half dozen of another as far as problem issues go. Budget-wise, I was restricted to the 4.0 L years, so one of the deciding factors for me was the problematic transmission of the XK8. I could be off in my thinking, but isn't a transmission overhaul more costly than a supercharger overhaul ?

So when I found an '02 XKR that had very recently had the tensioners and water pump replaced, the major known hurdles were in the rear view mirror. Done deal.

Z

PS put 600 miles on the XKR yesterday in a day trip to the Dallas area and back home to Northeast Oklahoma. Left early in the morning and got back in the garage just before nightfall. As usual, an exhilarating and smooth high speed journey in comfort, and of course, in more style than any other car that I shared the road with.

Last edited by zray; 07-29-2018 at 12:46 PM.